Knife for the Sandbox. Need suggestions.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
CombatGrappler

Knife for the Sandbox. Need suggestions.

Post by CombatGrappler »

I just found out tonight that one of my employees will be getting deployed to Iraq this summer. I want to give him a Spydie to carry while he is gone, so I thought I would ask my Spyderbros for some suggestions.

Obviously, my first thought is either a Millie or Paramillie with the digicam handles. The kid has admired my D2 Military, so he would probably be good with the Military. I also thought about my Manix or mini Manix. I'm going to get him one of the double stuff stones for field sharpening, so PE will be preferred.

What do you guys think?
DMgangl

Post by DMgangl »

Para. He will have less trouble bringing it home. My buddy in the 82nd had trouble bringing his 4" CS Ti-Lite back from the sandbox.

DM
Smile, it can always get worse
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

....I think liner-locks and compression locks, along with an open back design, make sense in a "gritty" environment so I have to agree with your initial thoughts to give him a Military or Para-Military; I have no doubt the Tenacious would hold up to a tour in Iraq as well. I'm pretty certain that lots of Natives, Delicas and Enduras, despite being lock-backs, have performed flawlessly while on duty in the Middle East too.

Whatever you decide upon, I appreciate his service....and have good thoughts for his safe return.....and for all who serve.

- regards
"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt."
"Measure for Measure"
-W. Shakespeare
dialex

Post by dialex »

Both the Millie and the Para are great choices. For a user, I'd rather pick a combo edge though.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

digicam para. make his buddies jealous by gettin him a brand new model like that :D :cool:
And I love my para, performs great
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

Military :spyder:
CombatGrappler

Post by CombatGrappler »

Thanks for the replies. I carry a Paramillie everyday to work, so I was kinda leaning towards that already :) Ease of cleaning was also a factor in my thought process.

Any more ideas that I might not have considered?

Post by 224477 »

Millie, if its right with the blade lenght probs, then Para.
Open frame folders work better in sand environment, imo.
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
imatyssik

Post by imatyssik »

Millie S90V, and he got set for life.
dirtpig67

Post by dirtpig67 »

I would get him a blade that is H1 without a doubt. If you really like him, get him two - they are not that expensive :D

When I was over there for a year deployment during my Army days, I had a lot of issues with rust on my folding knife. I was outside the wire everyday on patrols etc. and would usually be completely soaked in sweat after a day in the heat with all the equipment and armor you have to carry/wear doing that sort of thing. This resulted in my folder rusting a lot. If I had known about H1 prior to going over back then, I would have brought 2 of them in H1 (both SE) with me without a doubt.

If I had to choose just one edge type, I would have probably taken a SE blade rather than a PE. It would have been much more useful and practical, at least for the stuff I encountered. Our medics swore by the SE blades, as you could quickly cut-away web-gear, clothing, boots, pretty much anything a soldier was wearing with a SE blade a lot easier than a PE. That was good thing for them, as it helped them treat a wounded soldier a lot faster. As medics they were issued a pair of shears for doing this job. These work fine cutting away clothing but they were not heavy-duty enough to cut-away heavy material such as web-gear and things of that nature.
Castillo

Post by Castillo »

CombatGrappler wrote:I just found out tonight that one of my employees will be getting deployed to Iraq this summer. I want to give him a Spydie to carry while he is gone, so I thought I would ask my Spyderbros for some suggestions.

Obviously, my first thought is either a Millie or Paramillie with the digicam handles. The kid has admired my D2 Military, so he would probably be good with the Military. I also thought about my Manix or mini Manix. I'm going to get him one of the double stuff stones for field sharpening, so PE will be preferred.

What do you guys think?
Wish I worked for an employer like you. Huge respect for the gesture, I hope he appreciates it.
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

Well, for PE/CE, I would go with the Millie, ideally in CE. If he's worried it will get snagged, I'd mail it back if possible. The millie has insane cutting performance on wood and plastic, and the very fine point excels at removing splinters.

But, if SE is the way to go (and I suspect it would be if your cutting man-made materials in a hurry) the SE Endura Wave is the way to go. He'll have a blast opening the thing with the wave feature, and its also very handy when opening the knife under stress, or for deploying it weakside in conjunction with his FB primary. It also opens beers! Like all Endura's/Delica's, the point is very robust, making it much more abuse resistant than the Millie.

Most importantly, the E4W has a unique, wider and shallower serration pattern that is not featured on any other :spyder: Originaly designed for SD (or so we assume, as there has been no "official" word on the matter) this shallow SE has the cutting performance of the normal Spyderedge, but with drastically less snagging. An E4WSE with a DMT diafold sharpener, and he'll be set.

On behalf of the Forum, please thank him for his service.
-Mark
CombatGrappler

Post by CombatGrappler »

Thanks for all the help, folks. I think I am going to go with the Digicam Paramillie. Someone mentioned picking splinters, so I think I might get the guy one of A.G. Russell's field tweezer kits, also.
rycen

Post by rycen »

Have you looked at the RAT Cutlery line?
We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

At one time I carried 2 Spydercos on my gear while in the Army. In my front right pocket I had a CE Delica and snapped onto my right LBV strap was a Remote Release. The Delica was used for most of my cutting jobs - opening MREs, cutting medical tape & bandages, etc. The Remote Release was there for in case SHTF with sling-loaded gear or use on any cordage cutting use. Of course I used my Multi-Tool almost as much.

The ParaMilitary, backed up by a good Multi-Tool (I suggest the Victorinox Spirit), should cover most of his needs.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
Wardo

Post by Wardo »

Just a couple additional thoughts here.

His duties might influence what the best knife would be for his purposes. Do you know what his career field is or what his duties will be?

dirtpig67 makes a good point (no pun intended ;) ) about rust resistance. You stated in your original post that he will be going there in summer. The temp there will be 125 degrees and he will likely be sweating like a pig, regardless of what he does. Something in H1 might make a lot of sense.

Finally, while I haven't been to the sandbox (a big THANKS to all who have), I have read comments from many people who have stating that a multi-tool was what they used most. Both bases would be covered since multi-tools have one or two knife blades as well as other useful tools. If he doesn't already have one, perhaps he'd appreciate a good multi-tool.

Just my $.02 FWIW.
wescobts

Post by wescobts »

What a great gift, my hat is off to you fine sir :) But what I would like to suggest is perhaps along with the knife is also a sharpening stone. Please don't think I am trying to spend YOUR money, but when I was in the Army I had a decent knife, it became dull, and was unable to sharpen it because of the lack of a stone. So maybe you could lessen the hit on say a Para or the full size Millie, go to an Endura-FRN handle and add a sharpening stone. Once again may I state it's guys like you that make the world go 'round.
learning it the hard way... :rolleyes:
CombatGrappler

Post by CombatGrappler »

wescobts wrote:What a great gift, my hat is off to you fine sir :) But what I would like to suggest is perhaps along with the knife is also a sharpening stone. Please don't think I am trying to spend YOUR money, but when I was in the Army I had a decent knife, it became dull, and was unable to sharpen it because of the lack of a stone. So maybe you could lessen the hit on say a Para or the full size Millie, go to an Endura-FRN handle and add a sharpening stone. Once again may I state it's guys like you that make the world go 'round.
Well, in my original post I said that I was going to get the Spyderco Double Stuff sharpening stone....

Now I am considering throwing in a Leatherman, as well. I use mine at work about as much as I use my Paramillie.
SimpleIsGood229

Post by SimpleIsGood229 »

Excellent gesture, Grappler. Give your guy a big thanks! for all of us here.

I think a multitool would go very well with the Para.

As for the MT, the SOG Powerlock EOD is very nice. It has a blasting cap crimper at the bottom of the plier head (behind the pivot). Also, the thing's gears literally enable it to cut through light chain--yes, I've done it with mine. Another excellent choice would be the Leatherman Surge with MOLLE sheath.
God Bless Texas!
[RIGHT]Avatar courtesy of Dialex[/RIGHT]
Μολὼν λαβέ

2009 - Birth of the H-1 Spyderhawk! Thank you, Sal!
Sam Vimes

Post by Sam Vimes »

I suspect that a multitool and a Spyderco Tenacious (SE or CE) will be part of my kit next time, if there is a next time for me.