a good first spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ChaosSpear

a good first spyderco?

Post by ChaosSpear »

I have had several locking knives (2 lockbacks and my current, a linearlock). But ive found myself wanting more, so my search led me to spyderco byrds. I never had a knife more than about $20, so thats what I was looking for.

But as I looked and looked, the spyderco's can be found for only twice as much, if your patient. The thing is, I am a die-hard lefty, so I would like a lefty friendly knife (even though I am used to not). My linear lock works for me, but I love the idea of the ball bearing.

To me, the lockback is too much effort, and can get bothersome to keep closing for small tasks (I whip out my blade for everything). I can get used to them if I were to use them again.

I love the idea of the D'allara and the ball bearing, but I have not used it in person. I think Im going to wait for the refresh of the knife, so I can try to find it at a good deal.

::IMPORTANT STUFF STARTS HERE::
What is a good first spyderco for a lefty?

I like the D'allara ball bearing, but I would wait for the possible refresh of it to order.

Or should I hop on the bandwagon and get a lockback, and (re)learn to live with that?

I dont want to spend too much on a knife, possibly $50? Hopefully I can get it on a good sale, or used.

Thanks for your time to read this massive wall of text and confusion,
-David Brandon
slice22358

Post by slice22358 »

Well my first inclination is the Harpy, because I just love it and was my first :D But I think the D'Allara would be great as long as you like fairly wide knives
Feeding the addiction

Proud member of The Cult of the Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
slice22358

Post by slice22358 »

:spyder: Just be warned that once you're bitten, there's no going back :spyder:
Feeding the addiction

Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

slice22358 wrote:Well my first inclination is the Harpy, because I just love it and was my first :D But I think the D'Allara would be great as long as you like fairly wide knives
I am definitely agree with you on that harpy.
ChaosSpear

Post by ChaosSpear »

slice22358 wrote: :spyder: Just be warned that once you're bitten, there's no going back :spyder:
oh haha, Im already bitten, pre-bitten?

once I saw the byrd line, I didnt say "do I want a spyderco?" I said "what spyderco do I want?"

as for the closed width, It looks pretty big, much bigger that what I have. Sadly I dont know of a local spyder store.

And from what I read in another post, the D'Allara 2 is supposed to have a thinner, g-10 handle, and a smaller closed width. I would be waiting to see what thats all about.
slice22358

Post by slice22358 »

ChaosSpear wrote:oh haha, Im already bitten, pre-bitten?

once I saw the byrd line, I didnt say "do I want a spyderco?" I said "what spyderco do I want?"

as for the closed width, It looks pretty big, much bigger that what I have. Sadly I dont know of a local spyder store.

And from what I read in another post, the D'Allara 2 is supposed to have a thinner, g-10 handle, and a smaller closed width. I would be waiting to see what thats all about.

Or you could just get both :D But anyways, I had completely forgotten about the new D'Allara :eek: Personally I would get something else while you wait for the new D'Allara :rolleyes: But what are you looking to use it for? And also if you can find one reasonably priced, you should look into the Dodo.
Feeding the addiction

ChaosSpear

Post by ChaosSpear »

I guess the venom didnt work its way through me yet, cause my limited income overpowers the desire for a billion knives?!

i bet that will change once i get my fingers around one.

A friend of mine is a huge knife fan, but a lot of CRKT too. not just spyders. traitor.
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

I think the Delica makes a wonderful first knife. I can open mine with my left hand and it has four way clip mounting. I think everyone that is into Spydercos should own a Delica, just a classic design.
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
ChaosSpear

Post by ChaosSpear »

oh i do love the delica's desing. my ideal spyder is a delica with the bb lock. I dont know why i like the bb so much, ive never tried it. maybe on principle alone? haha.

so for me its:
D'allara
Delica 4

i think thats it for now. hopefully i wont need all of them, D'allara style. I would prefer not to start a meth lab in the garage to fund my knife addiction.

EDIT: i guess i should make sure to mention that what i said is a joke, and I do not condole starting a meth lab.
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

I've never used the Ball lock myself, all my spydies are lock backs. Spyderco makes really smooth opening lockbacks though, especially the FRN ones. There is a little tension from the spring there, but really my Delica opens nice and smooth. Another nice knife is the Para-Military, it is quite a bit more then the Delica in price, but it has the compression lock which is awesome, very strong and so smooth. The one I had just flew open, if I held the lock bar open I could flick the handle a bit and the blade would fly out. I've been edcing my Delica for over a month now though, and so far it is my favorite Spydie besides my Lava.
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
CTfam

Post by CTfam »

Another vote for the Delica 4. I would get a plain jane, black FRN, plain edge Delica. It's a must have for any knife lover. You can adjust the clip any way you want. It's a great EDC blade. :)
catamount

Post by catamount »

You probably want to get something soon, but if you can wait a little bit, :spyder: will be coming out with a black FRN version of the Stretch in VG-10.

http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=278

I think this would be a fantastic first :spyder: . I'm guessing the US street price will be in the $60-70 range.
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
mercop

Post by mercop »

My recommendation as always is the Endura. If you have any thoughts about using your knife with any martial intent you cannot go wrong. The adaptability of the clip, price point and availability of the trainer make it unequaled in the market.
tasmanH1salt

Post by tasmanH1salt »

Get a Tasman Salt SE!
ChaosSpear

Post by ChaosSpear »

ohh, im liking the g-10 stretch.

and I am leaning on waiting, because as much as I would love one right now, I want one that will have everything I would want in a knife.
slice22358

Post by slice22358 »

tasmanH1salt wrote:Get a Tasman Salt SE!
Yeah hawkbills ftw :D
ChaosSpear wrote:ohh, im liking the g-10 stretch.

and I am leaning on waiting, because as much as I would love one right now, I want one that will have everything I would want in a knife.
Yeah I can't wait for a Stretch that I can afford :rolleyes: But to be honest, I seriously doubt you will find a knife with everything you want. And even if you did, that would probably just make you want more of them :rolleyes: ;) :D
Feeding the addiction

ChaosSpear

Post by ChaosSpear »

well, all that i need is left handed carry. 3.5" or so blade, i dont care what shape or cut. what i would want is a fun lock. hahah one thats real easy to use, as opposed to the strongest one that exists.

minimum of requirements.
araneae

Post by araneae »

A Delica is a great intro to Spyderco. Its a really great knife period. You should easily be able to find one under $50. The Tenacious is also a great knife although liner locks are generally easier for Righties. The Byrd line will give you an excellent knife for the price as well.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
kgriggs8

Post by kgriggs8 »

FLYBYU44 wrote:I think the Delica makes a wonderful first knife. I can open mine with my left hand and it has four way clip mounting. I think everyone that is into Spydercos should own a Delica, just a classic design.
I say go with the Delica. It is a great all around design. If you hate it, try something else but nobody hates the Delica.