Evrina Kopa

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Benner

Evrina Kopa

Post by Benner »

Hi all,

I have been drooling over Kopa's for a while now and have found an Evrina inlayed one for a reasonable price. After a quick search on here it seems that the Evrina isn't as popular and I was wanting to see what everyone thought about it?

Also, I know it is a man made material, but does it have any variation throughout the material like grain etc or is uniform throughout?

Many thanks in advance.

Ben
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

It seems to be uniform. Is certainly worth it if you can find a talented engraver. One of those will really make it shine. Have a look at the one Sal had engraved for the Deacon (should be on his site).

Some day the Enrina ones will be highly sought after by folks who can appreciate what it is. :)
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

i have one in the mail right now, i sent it out to the lady who did Paul's scrimshaw work...when i get it ill post some pics up.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

It seems that when it comes to gents knives the inlays that have more 'character' seem to command a bit more respect and thus demand. Wooden and mineral inlays are all unique - no two are exactly the same. Whereas Evrina and Black Micarta are pretty much uniform. The BMP version is in higher demand than the Evrina due to mainly its colour and familiarity more than anything else.

White is seen as a bit more on the 'bland' side.

I like my Evrina Kopas, but possibly not as much as the others :p
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

White is in again. Notice the white micarta in the two new knives, plus the sprint frn endura and dragonfly.
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

the only thing about evrina that i dont like is it looks like cheap plastic unless you get some scrimshawing done on it, then it shines.
My knives
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Tony,

My thoughts exactly. White micarta looks better than Evrina IMHO. WHilst it is supposed to be man-made ivory. It doesn't resemble it that much. The very uniform 'tough plastic' look does tend to make it look cheapish unless scrimshawed well like Paul's and yours. I was going to get mine done as well, but have left it alone for now.

Zen, for sure white is in, and in some cases can look very classy. The Evrina is IMHO not on par with say the White Sprints in the D4/ E4, Ladybug, D'fly, and especially not the Phoenix.

If the Evrina were say, stippled.... that might change the character a bit more and might make it look quite nice.
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
Clay Kesting

Moki Evrina

Post by Clay Kesting »

Here are a couple of pictures of my Moki Evrina also scrimmed by Linda Karst. The Evrina takes scrimshaw really well. I just wish I could afford to get a Kopa scrimmed.

cheers,
clay
Attachments
moki.jpg
moki.jpg (42.68 KiB) Viewed 2168 times
Moki_open.jpg
Moki_open.jpg (46.16 KiB) Viewed 2208 times
"The best boats are either small enough to carry home, or big enough to live on." Phillip C. Bolger (1927-2009)
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

Clay Kesting wrote:Here are a couple of pictures of my Moki Evrina also scrimmed by Linda Karp. The Evrina takes scrimshaw really well. I just wish I could afford to get a Kopa scrimmed.

cheers,
clay
is it Linda Karst? not Karp? that is who did mine...i cant wait to see it :D
My knives
Clay Kesting

Post by Clay Kesting »

Sorry, senior moment, I've edited the post. I'd love to get her to scrim a Kopa for me but I fear her price as well as the cost of shipping both ways would be prohibitive, especially now that our dollar has taken a plunge :( .

clay
"The best boats are either small enough to carry home, or big enough to live on." Phillip C. Bolger (1927-2009)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Sal once commented that Japanese makers are more comfortable working with materials they are familiar with. My guess it that was at least one of the reasons for the choice of Evrina. As Clay's knife show, Moki had worked with Evrina before, and may even have been the ones who suggested it for the Kopa. They may even have had a "stash" of it on hand.

I would agree with what others have said, Evrina looks rather bland when plain, even more so than white micarta. But it does take scrimming extremely well. From what I've read, it is superior to both micarta and bone in that regard. It is also totally stable, something which cannot be said for ivory which can crack from changes in humidity. Finally, in today's climate of political correctness, it's a much less controversial choice than ivory.

Still, there is a quality to natural ivory which no man-made substance can duplicate. Given the choice, I would opt for the "real deal" every time and take my chances with cracks and PETArds.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

it came today...pics in this thread

http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36680
My knives