Workhorse Spyders: Your Pick & Why

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Workhorse Spyders: Your Pick & Why

Post by JD Spydo »

There has been an undercurrent of talk here in the past month or so about which Spyderco knives are said to be considered a "WORKHORSE". Now I'll be the first to admit that there are a few Spyders that I truly think earn the reputation of being a WORKHORSE BLADE. One that comes to my mind immediately is my G-10 Harpy in the Hawkbill category.

I consider a WORKHORSE BLADE one that you would immediately grab without hesitation when there is a really tough, brutal and possibly messy cutting job that arises. My G-10 handled Harpy has been there for me on 2 occasions when I was very glad I had it with me. Also I consider my current standard EDC which is my 440V, SE Native to be a stalwart, no job too tough, WORKHORSE BLADE for sure. I've put that knife through punishment on my current job that few other production knives would have even held up through at all.

My dream WORKHORSE blade would be a Titanium ATR user ( SE or PE). My dream USer HaWKBiLL to me would be our highly wished for H-1 Spyderhawk.

I know many of you have Spyders that you all bragg about being a WORKHORSE BLADE. So tell us which Spyder is your WORKHORSE and give us some reason why. I especially expect to hear from Tonydehose, Yablanowitz and The Deacon on this one :D
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

I'm interested in the responses to this. I just got a para and m. manix and I get the feeling that they are solid and will handle almost any task but I haven't put them to the test yet.

The manix feels like it could take anything you give it and come back smiling. What a tank.
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Without a doubt my choice would be the Stretch. It has done an excellent job on any task where I've used it, and I have every confidence it would handle any task I'd even remotely consider using a folding knife to perform.

I'll agree with you regarding the Native JD. Matter of fact, I keep a BRK Native in my desk at work to hand out when an NKP asks me for a knife. Edge has gotten beat up a few times, tip's not quite what it use to be, but nobody's managed to do significant damage to it yet. Not even the one who found it odd that a knife would not cut through a staple. Not a piddly little staple you'd use on papers mind you, but one of those big copper coated staples they use on appliance boxes. :eek:
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
RazorSharp86

Post by RazorSharp86 »

I'd say your best bet, for a proper workhorse, would be the S90V or maybe even CPMD2 Military. I've got a FG D2 Military that has seen some rough s@#%, Yet it's in terrific condition.
Also, if you'd prefer a small fixed blade, you should definitely look into the Streetbeat. Great knife, impossible to destroy (given you use it as a knife).
catamount

Post by catamount »

JD Spydo wrote:I consider a WORKHORSE BLADE one that you would immediately grab without hesitation when there is a really tough, brutal and possibly messy cutting job that arises.
The 2 :spyder: s I carry regularly that fit this description are my waved E4 SE and my Pacific Salt PE. Just last night, the E4 made short work of some vicious king crab legs :D

I am confident that my big Manix PE will handle anything I can throw at it, but, since it is discontinued and hard to find, I am more concerned about messing it up.
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

That would be any Military :cool: :cool:

However I wouldn't hesitate to grap my Delica 3/SE either ;)
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
grunt0331

Post by grunt0331 »

Captain 100%. this is the first knife i've used that can handle all of my work tasks.

i am a commercial contractor- trained, certified, licensed, and competent in all trades. we build, maintain, repair, and demo restaurants, bars, and other commercial and industrial buildings in central Texas.
this blade excels in all. from deburring soft copper, cutting tubing, cutting armaflex, shaping ductboard for plenums and ducts, cutting shims, stripping and cutting wire, installing FRP, removing packaging from new equipment, cutting drywall and ceiling tiles, cutting/scraping dried silicone and latex caulk, etc, etc. i could go on for hours.

the Captain is also an excellent choice for working around refrigeration and plumbing where slippage from a pointed blade tip could pierce thin/soft tubing causing catastrophic failure.

the Captain has never failed me. it is (nearly) impossible to break the tip, easy to clean, fun to sharpen, and it will not pierce your shoe if you drop it.
now if only i could get one in H1 and FRN!?!
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

IMO - ALL my Spydies are workhorse knives. They are all VERY sharp and do anything I've EVER asked of them.

That said, I would say my strongest folder is my Phoenix. The Ti really makes that sucker one strong knife! The grip is great and the ball lock is easy, solid and reliable.

Runners up include Mini Manix, Lil'Temp and both flavors of CF Milies.

Ken
玉鋼
vivi

Post by vivi »

Well, it's not big and tough looking like the Manix, but me and my UKPK spent a lot of time last night breaking down cardboard when I cleaned house. The reprofiled blade cleanly cut through countless old packages and shipping boxes and still took hair off my arm at the end of the day.

I also really like my Dodo for this type of work. I find the blade shape very useful, and the SE S30V blade holds a good edge for some time.

The thing I like about Spydercos "work horse" knives is they still generally come ground with thin, high performance edges. Hard use shouldn't mean giving your arm an unnecessary workout.
JD Spydo

The unlimited uses of the Captain

Post by JD Spydo »

grunt0331 wrote:Captain 100%. this is the first knife i've used that can handle all of my work tasks.

i am a commercial contractor- trained, certified, licensed, and competent in all trades. we build, maintain, repair, and demo restaurants, bars, and other commercial and industrial buildings in central Texas.
this blade excels in all. from deburring soft copper, cutting tubing, cutting armaflex, shaping ductboard for plenums and ducts, cutting shims, stripping and cutting wire, installing FRP, removing packaging from new equipment, cutting drywall and ceiling tiles, cutting/scraping dried silicone and latex caulk, etc, etc. i could go on for hours.

the Captain is also an excellent choice for working around refrigeration and plumbing where slippage from a pointed blade tip could pierce thin/soft tubing causing catastrophic failure.

the Captain has never failed me. it is (nearly) impossible to break the tip, easy to clean, fun to sharpen, and it will not pierce your shoe if you drop it.
now if only i could get one in H1 and FRN!?!
Very interesting "Grunt0331" ~~~ That is very interesting indeed. Because I must be truthful with you. As much as I revere the C-111 Captain model I never really regarded it as a WORKHORSE per se but after your rundown of chores you use your Captain for it really makes me look at the C-111 in a completely different light. The C-111 has always been an SD icon to me as well as an ultimate game skinner/butcher blade. But I never thought of the CAptain as a Workhorse model till now :cool:

Austin Texas huh? So your from Alex Jones country :D I guess that answers a lot of questions I would have been prompted to ask. I sure bet that Alex would also like the Captain along with many other great Spyders.
vivi

Post by vivi »

JD, I've seen you post a few times talking about the Captain as a SD blade. Could you elaborate some? I've never viewed it that way and I'm curious to hear your thoughts.
4077th

Post by 4077th »

Large FRN Goddard. A real workhorse in my opinion. Love the combo edge. I carry my burgundy version daily. Only weak spot is the clip rotating out of the clip well. Even though the burgundy Goddard has the "improved" deeper well, it still twists out when hung on a door frame, etc. Other than that, the Goddard is a design that took some getting used to. Now it's like an old friend.
JD Spydo

On Topic

Post by JD Spydo »

Vivi wrote:JD, I've seen you post a few times talking about the Captain as a SD blade. Could you elaborate some? I've never viewed it that way and I'm curious to hear your thoughts.
I'll do a separate thread on that. I would like to stay on topic with WORKHORSE SPYDERS on this thread. But I'll create another Captain thread soon.
Billy

Post by Billy »

Since I got it, my go-to work blade is my Rock Salt. Does everything I need it to from opening mail to cutting down small pest trees to preparing dinner. If I could EDC it, I would. My dedicated workhorse folder would have to be my CE Military. I have 3 PE millies too, but the addition of teeth on the CE model makes it that much more useful for tougher jobs. I will throw in honorable mention for ANY E4 as well. :D
I prefer to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
I LOVE MY MILLIES
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Spyderknife

D'Allara

Post by Spyderknife »

My workhorse is my D'allara. Use it every day. Purcahsed 2 of them so don't mind working my EDC one HARD. No task to difficult for it. Love its smoothe opening action. All round a great knife.

What would make it even greater? :rolleyes: G-10 slabs. Sal, please? :o
Never sell my :spyder: knives.
“Whether you think you can or think you can't you're right.” Henry Ford
JD Spydo

CE and big SE ~~ Long Live the C-36 Military!!

Post by JD Spydo »

Billy wrote:Since I got it, my go-to work blade is my Rock Salt. Does everything I need it to from opening mail to cutting down small pest trees to preparing dinner. If I could EDC it, I would. My dedicated workhorse folder would have to be my CE Military. I have 3 PE millies too, but the addition of teeth on the CE model makes it that much more useful for tougher jobs. I will throw in honorable mention for ANY E4 as well. :D
Thank you for that confirmation BILLY on CE Spyders. I have quite a few of them myself and I find them quite useful. Today I am carrying my Spyderco C-46 CE, ATS-55 Bob Lum Tanto Folder. It is truly my "Sunday Special Occasion/Going To Meeting Knife. But I'm not polite to it if work needs to be done. I treat it like all my other users~~ No preferential treatment. The Lum Tanto CE is a savage when it has to be. But it is a WORKHORSE in disguise ;)

Can't say enough about the SaLT SeRIes.

Hey Spyderknife!! that's an interesting entry for a WORKHORSE Spyder. I haven't heard the D'Allara mentioned in quite some time. I liked the knife the short time I had it. But I needed a thinner handle for my WORKHORSE SE use so I now have the Stainless handled RESCUE model. Probably the most solid/sturdy stainless Spyder ever made.

Great input thus far guys!!! :cool:
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

S90V Military, hands down. That's why I carry it rather than any of my other Millies. The only time I don't reach for it is if I'm afraid it will give some little old lady a heart attack when I open it. The CPM M4 Mule isn't far behind, with a Krein'd ZDP Endura and the Stretch II following. Serrated hawkbills are good for some things, but much of what I do would be rather awkward with one.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
wescobts

Post by wescobts »

JD, I have to agree with you on the Native SE, (although mine is S30V). This morning I was out feeding the birds and was cutting up the suet, remember the temps have been well below zero for days now. I grabbed the suet cake with a pair of pliers and proceeded to "saw" through this frozen block of seed, corn, and animal fat. A lesser knife would have been dull to the point of re-sharpening, mine was still very serviceable. I too would love an ATR TI SE :cool: , maybe one day :D
As for the other responses, I guess it all depends what defines "workhorse" in there world, I would think by the amount of satisfaction about Spyderco's that this product is perhaps better than most. Look at me, I'm cutting suet cakes while some others may be in combat or heavy construction.
learning it the hard way... :rolleyes:
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

......I put an old G2 plain edge Endura through **** for years.....dug up weeds, sailed from Maine to Mexico , mis-placed it outside for three months in the Pacific Northwest during the wettest time of year .........found it eventually.....with no more that some easily removable surface rust.

The 93mm SE Rescue I use for lawn and garden work has held up to my abuse so far.....trimmed grape vines ( tough stuff ! ), removed fir branches, cut through thick plastic buckets.

- regards
"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt."
"Measure for Measure"
-W. Shakespeare
psimonl

Post by psimonl »

For the cutting thing, my grey Caly Jr. is always up to task.....

But for the really heavy jobs, Mili Pe S30V....... Mine i beat up, but still askes for more... Just like Bruce Willis !!!

Simon
"Everyday above the ground and vertical is a good day".
-Sir A. Hopkins in "The world's Fastest Indian"

"If it hurts, it means you're not dead..."
-Kayakist Marie-Pier Cote

The Spyderco Cookbook