No Love For The ATR?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

No Love For The ATR?

Post by vivi »

I rarely see this model mentioned.

Maybe people had the same experience I did? I remember looking through an older Spyderco catalog and glancing at the ATR and instantly thinking "too tactical" and turning the page without a second thought.

Years later, today, I gave it another look and eventually traded for one.

I'm impressed.

To start, the ergos are great, reminding me of the Stretch 2 handle.

Aside from the TMag, it's the smoothest opening Spyderco I own. This knife pretty much opens itself with a spyder drop. Also if one is inclined they can release the lock and swing the blade shut, pretty neat.

The hollow saber grind is not my first choice for a blade grind, but I admit it cuts very well. No comparison between this knife and the Endura blade grind for cutting ability.

Typically I prefer more narrow tips that are more maneuverable. So far the thicker ATR tip hasn't been a problem, but it does pierce plastic bottles worse than my Military does. However, it works well for spreading peanut butter and jelly :D

Compression lock is my favorite lock and the integral one on this knife is a wonderful execution of it.

The cobra hood is a nice touch, makes the knife a little more comfortable during use.

When I look at my ss ATR I no longer think tactical. I think, elegant, futuristic looking and highly functional. Still prefer my Military overall but the ATR is a very nice knife.
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

I have been interested in this knife for awhile. I have been trying to catch a PE at a good price. The knife is just loaded with great features in my opinion.
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
JD Spydo

Tea for Ti

Post by JD Spydo »

Personally I've always liked the ATR model. However I like the Titanium handled version far more than I do the stainless handled model. I traded both my Ti handled ATRs and I truly wish I had not done it.

But I found the Ti handled version to be much more grippy and the feel of it was much more comfortable to my hand.

I truly wish that Spyderco would eventually offer an option of all their stainless handled knives to be available with Titanium handles as well.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
vivi

Post by vivi »

I would like to handle the Ti version to compare it with the SS. I have been keeping an eye out for a PE black ss ATR as I figured the coating would give the handle extra grip. Anyone have any experience with it they could share?
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

au contraire... you'll find a lot of love and appreciation for this knife in the forums. especially the titanium version. it's one of spyderco's finest designs, won "knife of the year" award, and is truly a value in SS. i'm terribly fond of mine... glad i was able to find one for only $80... :D
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I have a ti one. I consider it an interesting piece of Spyderco history and an extremely well built knife, but it's not my cup of tea for a multitude of reasons. Metal handles, unless engraved, don't thrill me. Handle shape is similar to the Stretch, but both blockier and bulkier, and the blade lacks its portion of the 50/50 choil, reducing my grip options. Handle is also over half an inch longer than the Stretch's, and just too long to fit well in my pocket, while the blade is slightly shorter. Cobra hood is one of those ideas that works better in theory than practice, at least for me. I'm not a fan of swedge grinds and prefer a full flat grind. And, last but not least, it's not a front lock and, even worse is what I consider to be a wrong-handed handed lock. So for me, the ATR gets very low marks for both esthetics and usability.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

Bluntrauma wrote:I have been interested in this knife for awhile. I have been trying to catch a PE at a good price. The knife is just loaded with great features in my opinion.
this knife shines in the serrated version....just my opinion, but trust me on this one.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
rorschach

Post by rorschach »

I gots mad love for the ATR! I have SS Fully Serrated and its one of my main weekend carry choices. Silky smooth, chainsaw ability, and lefty-friendly. To me its like someone shot the Jester with an enlarging ray, love the blade shape.

-Rorschach :][: RHOS
SimpleIsGood229

Post by SimpleIsGood229 »

clovisc wrote:au contraire... you'll find a lot of love and appreciation for this knife in the forums.
I agree. Wait 'til Kristi chimes in!

I really like the ATR, but I've arrived on the Spyderco scene too late to find a PE one for a good price.
God Bless Texas!
[RIGHT]Avatar courtesy of Dialex[/RIGHT]
Μολὼν λαβέ

2009 - Birth of the H-1 Spyderhawk! Thank you, Sal!
wescobts

Post by wescobts »

rorschach wrote:I gots mad love for the ATR! I have SS Fully Serrated and its one of my main weekend carry choices. Silky smooth, chainsaw ability, and lefty-friendly. To me its like someone shot the Jester with an enlarging ray, love the blade shape.

Wow ! that is a great looking knife ! you are very lucky, I came into this Spyderco game too late to get one of these new :(
learning it the hard way... :rolleyes:
liltemp1

Post by liltemp1 »

A.T.R. is still and always will be 1 of my favorite tactical knives. I have the Ti version in pln edge, and only carry it on special occasions. Like gun or knife shows. :D I Love Titanium also.
I'd rather be tried by 12, than carried by 6.
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

.....I've always liked the looks of it, but never been a fan of SS handle knives; I think I would find it heavy for an EDC. It does appear to have a comfortable grip. Since, I'm not into MBC I have tended to not pay it much attention. However, with high praise from folks who's opinion I value perhaps I need to re-consider. Problem is....I can't afford to try'em all. :o

Perhaps Sal would consider issuing a Byrd version for the "pocket-book challenged." ;)

- regards
"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt."
"Measure for Measure"
-W. Shakespeare
Tank

Post by Tank »

Lots of love here for the ATR. I have the SS SE and carry it mostly on the weekends or after work (To big for office carry).
-John
vivi

Post by vivi »

I don't have MBC interests but I find myself drawn to a lot of the MBC models. Pikal has been an on and off EDC for me lately, along with the ATR, and the Yojimbo is one of my favorite utility knives as well.

Not a fan of SS handles either....but this knife is just that good. :D

Manix Guy 2

Atr

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

I had both at one time , the Ti model was sold but the SS is still with me , the fit and finish kept me from letting it go . I have a love /hate affair with the clip . Personally I would love to see a remake with G10 on the non lock side to lighten up the knife and a revised clip . A very interesting design . Regards MG2
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'm the same way with the clip. It's a bit stiff drawing the knife out of the pocket, and is flashier than I like when clipped (Still haven't had anyone ask me about it) but I think ti feels great in the hand. It makes a fairly thin knife fill the palm much better IMO.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I like my SS PE ATR. IMHO it is beautiful piece of engineering. Lock is a butter smooth, ergos are terrific,3.5" blade IMHO is most useful size. I am not crazy about clip and cobra hood, but it is easy to remove. Holes provide user with much better grip than plain SS handled knives.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

So I just got one. Grabbed it for 80 bucks in good used condition. Does that sound like a fair price? Guess it doesn't matter if you want one eh.

Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
WhiteWillie

Post by WhiteWillie »

Well, I have the SS PE ATR and I was and am impressed with its build quality. Really a precision build. As others have said it is a very smooth opener. I think though, that I dislike the handle and would prefer G10 scales and a compression lock like the Lil' Temp. As it is, the grip just isn't very secure and has a tendency to roll in my hand.
Mr. Bill

Old guys just know stuff!

:spyder: ATR PE
:spyder: Chinook III
:spyder: Lil' Temperance PE
:spyder: Manix PE
:spyder: Mini-Manix PE
:spyder: Native Black Blade SE
:spyder: Native III PE
:spyder: Para Military (S30V)
:spyder: Spyderfly
ClockWork

Post by ClockWork »

I love my ATR

In my very humble opinion, I think that its one of the Best designed Spyderco's there is. I'm not a big fan of smooth Stainless handles, so its Not my personal favorite knife. but the Design is genius.

I just sometimes forget to sign its praise, because mine is SE. :o
I would love it much more if it were PE. :rolleyes:

-Clock

:) Favorites: Black Paramil w/ D2 blade, PE Mini-Manix, S90v Military, Civilian, SE Dodo, PE Police, Sage

Vist my eBay store: Life and Liberty Gear
Tactical & MOLLE gear, Headgear and more

stores.ebay.com/Life-and-Liberty-Gear