Traveling (legally) w/ knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spydermonkey

Traveling (legally) w/ knives

Post by spydermonkey »

OK Folks - here's the scenario:

You've got a domestic US business trip and need to fly commercial. You carry a (Spyderco) knife every day of the week. What do you do?

1. Pack it and check it? If so, what do you bring and how do you manage the risk of it being stolen en route. How do you pack it (legally, I might add :) ) in your checked luggage?

2. Alternatives? For instance, I neutered a leatherman mini and carry that in my checked baggage. Before I go through security, I splay it open so they don't feel compelled to stop me and perform a cavity search :eek: . Usually - this approach garners appreciative comments from TSA.

Obviously, option 2 puts me without my preferred carry, a Spydie, not to mention the lack of a blade, for the duration of the trip.

Looking for best practices from the community on this one! Thanks

Spydermonkey
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

Pack a FRN Endura, Delica, or Native ( or Byrd equivalent ) if you are concerned about thieving baggage handlers .....easily replaced; EVERYONE should own a budget Spyderco "user".

or....

Mail your "prized" EDC ahead so it will be there waiting for you when you arrive at your destination.

- regards
"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt."
"Measure for Measure"
-W. Shakespeare
EarthDog

Post by EarthDog »

On those rare occasions when I fly rather than drive, I pack and check my spyderco.

:eek:

Don't like it, but ...

Now, I make sure it is one I can easily replace, and I take some care in packing. Since there is a possibility of some TSA type going through my checked baggage, I pack all my clothes and other packed contents in zip lock bags. I put my spydie in a pocket of a pair jeans. I make a packing list and include a copy of the packing list in the bag.

None of these measures will stop a determined TSA-employeed thief, but they do make clear that if something comes up missing, it was a determined and intentional theft.

Happy landings, and many happy returns!
EarthDog
ControlsGuy

Post by ControlsGuy »

You should check on the laws for where you are going. Blades over 2 1/2 inches are illegal in Chicago. I think there are places in California that limit to 2 inches. Google Knife Laws.

Some people wire tie their knifes to the frame of their check on bag. That makes it a little harder for a bagage handler to pull it out.

I usually travel with a Byrd knife. It would ruin my day to lose any of my Spydies.
markg

Post by markg »

I put it in a checked bag and cable tie it to the frame.

For safety, cable tie the knife shut (don't want it opening during a search and cutting someone's hand) and then cable tie it a second time to the frame.

Make sure it is tied down tight so you have to work to cut it off.

I take a Delica.
whkento

Post by whkento »

I just pack and check my knives. It's a bummer to not have a knife with me in the interval, but I just live with it.

(I used to travel int'l regularly in the mid '80s and would carry a full-size swiss army knife in my carry-on with no trouble at all. Times have changed.)

btw, I'm kinda curious and will start a new thread re. how many knives have "disappeared" from checked bags.
GoMeR

Post by GoMeR »

I had a military and a 710 in my suitcase last time I went to Salt Lake city for a fly fishing trip and they were fine. My luggage was searched departing and returning "for my protection" or whatever the little paper says.

Stealing a Spyderco should be punishable by death! :D

Anyone know how they select which luggage is to be searched?
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

i say if you have the time when you get there find a dealer and buy a new one....see if you can write it off on the expense sheet :p then mail it home before you leave.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
WOTANSON1

Post by WOTANSON1 »

IIRC It's very easy people. At the ticket counter ask, as it is your right, to have the bag inspected by TSA in front of you. You will have to tell them why, but they can't refuse you. The TSA agent checks the bag and then seals it with a identifying tag, then you lock your bag with your TSA approved lock and off it goes to the cargo hold. You bypass the thieving bastards all together. This issue was discussed in Blade a while back.
Cheers,
Rob
International Order of the SpyderEdge-founding member

Faith, Folk and Family

If you can read this, thank a Teacher.
If this is written in English, thank a US Soldier

NOT my "president"

Proud Member of SOSAK
spydermonkey

Thanks!

Post by spydermonkey »

Folks: Thanks for the great recommendations. A lot of good ideas to consider. I'll let you know how it works out! :spyder:

Good idea to check local laws too. Hadn't thought of that. I've gotten used to a pretty reasonable policy here in CO.
tasmanH1salt

Post by tasmanH1salt »

My thought is if the knife means that much to you then don't take it with you. Take a model that is not that big of a deal to you or is easily or does not mean that much to you. I posted a similar thread when I was flying to Florida and decided from the responses that it was too much of a risk to take it not because of the legality of it but because of TSA having sticky fingers. Another good idea is mailing it to where you are going and paying the extra 2 or 3 dollars for insurance.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

i've taken mine all over the world. checked bag only, of course.

zip-tie your spydie shut (through hole and around body) so that curious airport folks can't readily play with them and feel tempted

also, zip-tie them to the frame of the suitcase.

or if you don't feel like doing that, pop a spydie in one of the pockets of your clothing in your checked bag.

a dragonfly goes great in your shave kit... just pop it in there.

if you're transporting some serious knifeage, it is a good practice to print out a list of contents, including all knives you are bringing... to show the airport people that you know what you have, and will miss something if it is stolen. place the list in the top of the suitcase... preferably, with the word COPY stamped on it. and of course, keep a copy for your own reference later.
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Ed Schempp

Prepare

Post by Ed Schempp »

Clovisc covered the secure packing and packing slip which I also do when transporting knives. Most of the knives that I have heard that were lost, were a last minute stash into the checked bag before security. When putting a pocket knife in an outer pocket it leaves a knife shaped lump , some of these disappear in handling. Planning usually avoids this most frequent loss...Take Care...Ed
JspyEDC

Post by JspyEDC »

I travel a lot with irreplaceable knives to places like BLADE SHOW etc... and while I have never had one stolen (don't think I have), this thread has made me think about how I have been packing my spydies. Typically I have them in Spyder Pouches or Bill's econo cases and place them in the bottom elasticized holder in the rolling big suitcase. Maybe I have also found the reason for my not finding my sprint run C0-Pilot for the past few months...

I too use the plastic bags for clothing that you squeeze all the air out for more room and less wrinkles etc.... Love the idea of putting the knives in pants pockets within the baggies... Thanks!
Spyderco Collector #162
spydermonkey

irony

Post by spydermonkey »

JspyEDC wrote:Maybe I have also found the reason for my not finding my sprint run C0-Pilot for the past few months...
Now that's just plain wrong ... they might have stolen your Co-Pilot at the airport?!

Again - my appreciation to the community for all the terrific ideas. I plan to use them!

Spydermonkey
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I second the idea of putting a 'pack-list' ("copy 1 of 3") in the suitcase. I do it all the time. I put an A4 paper listing -all- the contents in my suitcase, including the pocket knives, prominently on top of my luggage in a plastic transparent folder. It shows that I'm really anal about my luggage, and it also shows that I know what's in it. I got this tip from some people who travel frequently with large quantities of knives and prototype knives ;) . It has worked excellent so far.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Cricket Bite

ooops

Post by Cricket Bite »

A couple of years ago I took a flight out West and used a daypack for carry on that I hadn't used for a while. Deep inside (unknown to me) was a CRKT Denali (3.5 inch blade, aluminum handles). Well it was never discovered until I arrived to my destination and unpacked. I dont know how I made it through security screening. This was post 9-11. Needless to say it went back on my check in baggage and it made it fine. Whew.
The CoPilot

Post by The CoPilot »

Whenever I've flown with a knife in my checked bag, I like to roll it up way inside a pair of socks. I've never had TSA unroll my socks and I've also never lost a knife. Works for me.
><> The most important blood trail leads to the Cross <><
C09 CoPilots My Specialty
Integrity is Being Good Even if No One is WatchingTM
Looking for: C04 Executive plain edge, C09 CoPilot plain edge with brass liners and a G-2 marked blade
El Comanche

Post by El Comanche »

I've got some nice spydies, but as a traveling musician, the frn byrd meadowlark fits the bill perfect for air travel. Never had a knife stolen, but if it was, it's only $15. And I think it's a pretty great knife for the $$- E
What's the difference between a Republican and a Democrat?
A Republican wants to raise your taxes a little less then a Democrat and they both disagree on which freedoms you should have taken away . . .
wec12

Post by wec12 »

Just got back from Asian 1.5 week ago. My D4 and Viele I were stolen in 2007. This time, I only brought white D4 with me. I took D4 apart, put the blade in the checked luggage, carry other parts/handle with me (BTW, Sharpmaker with me as well). Everything went smoothly til I re-entered US...

TSA said they had to open and check my bag. Lifted Sharpmaker up and ask what that is and I explained "that is my sharpener (well, it kinda looks like a well-packed C4 :p )"...

TSA: Sharpener for what?
Me: For my knife (of course)...
TSA: Where is ur knife?
Me: I took it apart. Blade is in the check luggage and the handle is in the carrying bag.
TSA: Where is the handle?
Me: Hm, let me find it... Got it (give him my white D4 handle with lock bar hanging around :p ).
TSA: Yes, that's what we saw on the X-ray screen... Wait here, we have to re-check this.

Then he handed D4 to the TSA lady in front of the screen and they were playing it (WTH?). Of course, I was able to get the handle back. I guess it's because the skeleton metal liner in the D4 looks scary on the screen :D .
█ Copycat :mad: █
█ A.K.A. Mr.Dissector █
█ "Think before You Cut" --- Sal Glesser. █