Giraffe Bone Kopa, issue?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gull wing

Giraffe Bone Kopa, issue?

Post by gull wing »

Got my beautiful Giraffe bone Kopa in this afternoon and was thrilled, it is a great knife and I love it.....................................
Till I turned it over to the non clip side revealing a very different bone "look".

I shot some photo's and sent them to factory. Wondering if it's normal?
Will wait to post photos here till after I hear from Spyderco.(if they respond soon)

Now a natural product like bone cannot have dynamic symmetry on both sides, but the difference is striking. It doesn't look like Tony Da Hose's thats for sure.

Hanging in there!
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

IIRC, the sample I looked at Blade Show had quite different looks on each side. Mine arrived today, will post some pics in the gallery in a bit.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

:) looking forward to it!
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Well, Deacon your scales are more evenly matched. Looks good! :)

Mine are more unevenly matched. As said, waiting for response from Spyderco before posting pics, decorum. ;)
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Here is what they (Spyderco) said:

"It's giraffe bone so no side will look exactly the same. The have seen on that the bone was actually blue & white on one side. It doesn't look like a defect from the picture however it's hard to determine much from a picture. You might try contacting knife works, they might exchange it for you. Or you can send it to us if it has a manufacture defect we would replace it.

Thank you and have a great day,

Charlynn
Spyderco
Customer Service/Warranty/Repair"

Oh, I forgot defect.
Of course it's not a defect, work is perfect. You be the judge, if you built this knife, would you match these scales?

Beautiful:

Looks ground down too far and blanched out. (note ends near bolsters are like other side)This would be ok if both sides were more the same. :mad:
markg

Post by markg »

I would not have an issues, it is natural bone that is going to happen.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Honestly, that wouldn't bother me. The one at Blade had a lot of blue on one side, none, or almost none on the other. That was a bad match.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

I've bought many stag handles knives......the scales don't always match perfectly. It's "part of the territory" when you buy a knife with handles made from natural materials. Consider it one of the unique aspects of owning such knives. If uniformity is paramount stick with FRN or G-10 handled knives......otherwise think of that nice giraffe bone Kopa as having soul ! :cool: Personally, I think it looks marvelous.

- regards
"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt."
"Measure for Measure"
-W. Shakespeare
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

You are the judge.
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

gull wing wrote:You are the judge.
....actually, you are....it's your money :) . All that matters in the end is what you think. If it's not "your cup of tea" can you return it ?

- regards
"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt."
"Measure for Measure"
-W. Shakespeare
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

Beautiful knife. I suggest you give it a couple days. If you decide you don't like it, maybe try getting a stone kopa.
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Hey Gull Wing,

I like it. And I am a Kopa nut freak :p It doesn't look too bad of a match actually. I think the redness on both sides tie them together quite well. Though I can see why your example might put some people off.

I don't mind it at all. There doesn't seem to be any defective workmanship on it. Remember anything to do with colour is always a bit of a gamble. Everyone perceives colour, contrast, patterns differently and is very subjective.

Give it a few days... don't like it... send me a PM :D I think if you bought it as a user then you might like it more than if you bought it as a collector... just my $0.02
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

I have seen a lot of bone.Giraffe bone takes color in a wild way so most pieces will not match.IMO it adds to it.Even cow bone can be very different from side to side.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

Actually my friend if you saw the one I just handled, you'd be really loving yours. I like side #2 a lot on yours. You are the ultimate judge and I can't make you like the knife, but I think you have a fantastic representation of giraffe bone.
You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Let some time go buy, waited overnight. Will send back.
My supplier graciously offered to take it back(nice people).

I can't handle the #2 scale, it's been ground down too far and should not have been installed in the first place. I use to make slip joint knives with bone, horn, wood and I know how these things go together. I've been around a long time and this one is below my standrds.
Spyderco knives are still my favorite, they very rarely disappoint me. :)

Thank you for the input.