Rare Mili Nearly Bitten by Bottlecap!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
clovisc

Rare Mili Nearly Bitten by Bottlecap!

Post by clovisc »

I had a bit of a scare this weekend. A good friend visiting from Philadelphia was with me as I was looking for a bottle opener to put to use on an Alaskan Breweries IPA. He said "here we go... I got it...!" and came within a milimeter of using the handle of my beloved peel ply CF S30V mili to pop open the beer.

YIKES!!!!!!

I explained to him how special the knife was... to me, and in the grand scheme of spyderco things (run of just 200... first knife to use peel ply CF). He looked at me like I'm crazy... but then, he already knew that, because earlier I'd taken him through 3+ foot snowdrifts searching for sasquatches.

Anyone else have a similiar knife-almost-abused-by-friend story to share??? :D
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Zozo*HC*

Post by Zozo*HC* »

I always have such stories when i give my knives out of my hand to a non knife person. Thats why i never do it. I buy knives for my friend and family, but i dont lend mine to them :D
No sacrifice, No victory!
Billy

Post by Billy »

Does it count if you abused a brand new Spydie yourself? I was doing yard work on Saturday and had my new Rock Salt at my side when I spotted a young Florida Holly/Brazilian Pepper tree that needed to come down. So with a mere two chops, the pest was felled. However, the second chop went a little too far and hit the concrete wall the offending pest tree was growing near. Ended up chipping the blade a little back near the ricasso. With a little work on the Sharpmaker, it's now barely noticeable. Oh well, I guess I REALLY own it now! :D
I prefer to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
I LOVE MY MILLIES
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
thehunt

Post by thehunt »

Usually I carry a SAK to company my Spiders.

If asked, I lend the SAK. Never give away what you care for...
Si vis pacem parabellum
tasmanH1salt

Post by tasmanH1salt »

clovisc wrote:I had a bit of a scare this weekend. A good friend visiting from Philadelphia was with me as I was looking for a bottle opener to put to use on an Alaskan Breweries IPA. He said "here we go... I got it...!" and came within a milimeter of using the handle of my beloved peel ply CF S30V mili to pop open the beer.

YIKES!!!!!!

I explained to him how special the knife was... to me, and in the grand scheme of spyderco things (run of just 200... first knife to use peel ply CF). He looked at me like I'm crazy... but then, he already knew that, because earlier I'd taken him through 3+ foot snowdrifts searching for sasquatches.

Anyone else have a similiar knife-almost-abused-by-friend story to share??? :D
Hey Clovisc, how did hunting for sasquatches in 3+ foot snowdrifts work out for u lol?
Azad

Post by Azad »

I guess people may not appreciate the value in knives as most do in this forum. Only experience I've had was a friend who've used the blade on my SAK as a screwdriver even though it has a dedicated one built into it.

Best advice I can give.. Keep the good stuff to yourself. Not everyone will appreciate that knife like you do. I base this on a broken Shimano surf rod that my friend mangled because he saw it fit to be used for plucking coconuts. 700 bucks down the drain... Lesson learnt the hard way. We're still friends though. :)

Azad
markg

Post by markg »

To the average person, there is a relationship of cost to function.

In other words, the more you pay for a knife... The more you should expect it to stab through car doors, smash concrete, penetrate Kevlar, etc...

The more you pay for a knife, the more it should do amazing things (read... "non-knife" things).

There is also another strange phenomenon that occurs. When you loan a knife to a non-knife person, their average IQ goes down 20 points... They do that stupid "knife trick" from "Aliens" or think they are now the master of throwing knives...

And of course their grandfather taught them how to sharpen a knife on rock, and you JUST HAVE TO SEE IT DONE!!!

We should just carry trainers for the stupid people...
WhiteWillie

Post by WhiteWillie »

I'm glad you were able to save your knife. I've had similar things happen with my belongings and I just don't loan out things I value anymore. Most folks just seem so careless about the property of others. They don't even seem to realize it.
Mr. Bill

Old guys just know stuff!

:spyder: ATR PE
:spyder: Chinook III
:spyder: Lil' Temperance PE
:spyder: Manix PE
:spyder: Mini-Manix PE
:spyder: Native Black Blade SE
:spyder: Native III PE
:spyder: Para Military (S30V)
:spyder: Spyderfly
grunt0331

Post by grunt0331 »

if you would have had a chinook present, you could have just cut the top off of that bottle.... but the chinook has been known to scare off sasquatches.
markg

Post by markg »

grunt0331 wrote:if you would have had a chinook present, you could have just cut the top off of that bottle.... but the chinook has been known to scare off sasquatches.
Yea, I hear Chuck Norris carries a Chinook... :D
grunt0331

Post by grunt0331 »

markg wrote:Yea, I hear Chuck Norris carries a Chinook... :D

Touche'
feeny

Post by feeny »

Stepfather picked up Mini-Manix not 3 days ago to pop open a beer.
I'd just used mini-manix to literarily deforest my house see... so he got his hands on it...

I saved it in time - he was going to lever it up with the blade...! Told him to turn it around and use the jimping to pop it that way... I couldnt exactly tell him to be gentle after my recent logging exercises
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

markg wrote:Yea, I hear Chuck Norris carries a Chinook... :D

Chuck Norris doesnt need a knife, His hands are the only hands that can beat a royal flush.
Brad Southard

Southard Knives

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men," Colossians 3:23
wescobts

Post by wescobts »

I question folks who don't carry a knife and a bottle opener, that's why my SAK is in such demand. :D
learning it the hard way... :rolleyes:
grunt0331

Post by grunt0331 »

my Delica wave has opened many bottles of Sierra Nevada. and when you demonstrate the proper function of the wave, all your friends will be amazed.