Spyderco Damascus: Mule or Folder?

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.

Damascus Spyder: Mule or Folder?

Mule
16%
Folder
70%
Not interested in Damascus
14%

Total votes: 170

Th232

Post by Th232 »

Another vote for a folder, but I'd also have to qualify it with Peter and Paul saying that it'd depend on what knife and what damascus. Personally, I think the Kris would be a prime candidate for this, my dream would be a mini Kris (Ed, have you ever considered making or designing one?), but I don't really have much hope of that eventuating.
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

flyguy

Post by flyguy »

Full size Persian, please
imatyssik

Post by imatyssik »

I wote for Lum in Damascus +1
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

jzmtl wrote:I think for a lot of people the most important question, how much are we looking at on folder/mule?
I voted for the folder, but jzmtl makes a good point. Price considerations could sway me one way or the other (also depends on the folder design they would go with). If a folder is prohibitively expensive, I'd rather have a mule I can afford than a folder I can't. BTW, I checked out the pics of Ed's Spyderbug Damascus in the Persian Army thread, and that stuff is amazing!
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
kankryb

Post by kankryb »

Tanto damascus folder I`ll buy 2 :)
169 :spyder: and always room for one more :D
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

For me, the candidate folders, in order of desirability, would be:
  • C83 Persian (sans dent)
  • Stretch II (sans dent) (although I may finally have that one covered) :D
  • Native IV
  • Kiwi
  • Caly 3 (sans dent)
  • Kopa (sans dent and clip) :o
  • C105 Persian (sans dent)
Or, wait for the Mar/McBurnett lock version of the Sage.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Manix Guy 2

On the fence

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

Voted Mule , but a folder depending on model may tempt me . Something from Ed or Devin Thomas would be my choice . MG2
drf

Post by drf »

A folder would be my choice. Preferably a caly with cocobola handles and ss bolsters. Though a kopa or kiwi would be nice as well.
Slatts

Post by Slatts »

I would purchase either a folder or fixed blade in damascus. A nice ladder or raindrop pattern would work for me.

The new Sage RIL would be awesome with a damascus blade IMO.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Definitely a folder for me. My picks would be a Kopa or Caly/UKPK pattern.
My preferences for the Damascus would be any stainless pattern by Devin Thomas. The blade Ed made me for a Delicais really working out nicely.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Hector Castro

Post by Hector Castro »

Did anything ever come of this?

Sorry for bringing up such an old thread, but I was searching for a c56 Zowada, and stumbled on this.

Mule, Folder,
Wasn't the worker Collection set done in Damascus and a Delica ?
sarguy

Post by sarguy »

Peter1960 wrote:I'm interested but I can't say yes or no, it depends on the damascus and on the folder :o
Well said. I'd probably buy one just for the coolness factor of having a damascus Spydie.
"It's like he channels dead crazy people!"-Brock Samson
Officially corrupted by Sequimite
Own:E4W E4W trainer, D4W, D4W trainer, Centofante 4, Swick II, FFG E4 w/ foliage green G-10,Mule Team 5 and 6

Want list: ZDP Stretch, Original and New Yojimbos, Perrin PPT
My wish-existed list: More MBC-esque blades.

TheSavageRabbit

Post by TheSavageRabbit »

Lum Chinese
Full size Persian
Delica

** But you can't match Damascus to any handle material. Damascus and CF don't mix, in my opinion. Bone, stag, ironwood, oiled walnut, KOA... that's what I think should be mated to Damascus.
I strive to be the man my dog thinks I am.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I'd buy either but prefer the folder.

The Lum Tanto is a great suggestion, but Sal said something about not doing that one until some other company discontinued a similar model.

Kris and Persian also good suggestions; go with the traditional look of wood by using dark brown micarta and maybe a brass look for the bolster if that's practical.

Or just drop it into the Sage titanium RIL frame.
edit - I see someone was a year ahead of me with that idea; still a good one. The wider blade would display the damascus pattern well and the neutral handle wouldn't detract from it..
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Ben_1323

Post by Ben_1323 »

My vote is for a Damascus Stretch.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Hector Castro wrote:Did anything ever come of this?

Sorry for bringing up such an old thread, but I was searching for a c56 Zowada, and stumbled on this.

Mule, Folder,
Wasn't the worker Collection set done in Damascus and a Delica ?
Not yet, but it's been less than a year. I've sensed that Sal is becoming at least somewhat less resistant to the idea of Damascus than he once was. The number of other companies offering it may be a factor, since it shows there is a market. I think he's realized that even among sophisticated buyers, "does it cut better" is not necessarily the number one criteria for judging a blade steel.

On the other hand, I realize there's more risk involved than there would be in using the "latest and greatest" super steel. As much as I like Damascus, I find more than 90% of it unattractive. On top of that, the knife is extremely important. Even if the pattern is one I find extremely attractive, like Damasteel Odin's Eye, I'd be far less likely to buy a knife I'd never carry than one I would a midlock with a 50/50 choil.

As for your question, the 25th Anniversary Delica has front bolsters made of "bug" patterned damascus made by Ed Schempp, but a plain VG-10 blade. The "Everest" style (kraton handle inlay) Worker in the Evolution set has a blade of Tim Zowada damascus.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
skatenut

Post by skatenut »

Sequimite wrote:

Or just drop it into the Sage titanium RIL frame.
edit - I see someone was a year ahead of me with that idea; still a good one. The wider blade would display the damascus pattern well and the neutral handle wouldn't detract from it..
+1

skatenut
freeman7

Post by freeman7 »

I would vote for a folder. Either a Kiwi or Kopa with "exotic" handles would be nice and probably not wildly expensive. But early in the thread, someone mentioned a Shabaria. I think THAT would be spectacular.

Post by 224477 »

At least make it san mai damascus, as Mcusta`s, VG10 core and sides from damascus /even nickel one/. And CF handle pls. :)
I would appreciate a high end gentlemans model with MBC capabilities, compression lock?
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
Mallus

Post by Mallus »

I voted for a Mule as I would like to try a performance oriented damascus, if such a thing exists, and see how it would compare with monosteels. Just a pretty pattern inferior as a blade steel performance wise wouldn't interest me that much. A Mule would be less risky to The Firm as well as most already hooked in the program would get it even if it's not their exact favorite.

A folder would likely be too expensive to be of interest to me.