Spyderco Newbie... Greetings to forummers, a few questions on buying online.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Azad

Spyderco Newbie... Greetings to forummers, a few questions on buying online.

Post by Azad »

Hi all,

This is my maiden post on Spyderco's forum and first off many thanks to Miss Hunter for helping me with the registration as I am using a web based e-mail. I was really surprised how fast she replied to my e-mail.

I'm from Singapore, an island state with population 4 million but who have only 2 knife retailers. Obviously knives costs a premium and collectors are few. Very few people carry knives here probably due to changing lifestyles. Like most urbanites I'm used to using a SAK (a gift from my late dad) though I've used a Ka-Bar which was standard issue when I was serving with the coast guard. The SAK is going into safe keeping as it's seen some heavy use over the years and it's just too precious to lose. My first encounter with a Spyderco was a Delica, one that a mate got from overseas. Seems a solid enough blade and the design was very practical.

Today I just received my first Spyderco (make that 2)! A white Endura PE and a white Ladybug SE. Man am I a happy camper! Wife walked in while I was taking this pic and caught me smiling like the village idiot. Shook her head and walked out murmuring something incomprehensible. Good thing she doesn't know I've 4 more knives on the way... :D

On the way to Singapore are the following...
2 Natives (one CE and one SE)
An orange Ladybug for my little boy
A white Delica

I hope this isn't out of line but where do non-US Spyderco fans buy their knives? I've noticed most online retailers charge crazy amounts for shipping. Imagine being charged USD25 for priority shipping for one knife. These were bought from eBay but that has been a hit and miss affair too. Has anyone (outside the US) done business with an eBay seller called Spydieguys? How has your experience been with them? I'd appreciate it if you can give me your input. Thanks in advance...

Best regards
Azad

PS - You can mail me if you think it's more appropriate than posting directly here.
Azad

Post by Azad »

Sorry for the poor photo quality, phone cam was the only thing I had on me.. :o
boxer93

Post by boxer93 »

Hi Azad,
Welcome to the forum. I hope you stay a while and enjoy the company. There are a few US companies that will ship international les expensively. IIRC New Graham will ship uninsured USPS Global for less. I'm sure that more Non-US forumites will chime in with their experiences. If you really like the SAK check out the UKPK.
Chris
Be Excellent to each other.
kankryb

Post by kankryb »

Hi and wellcome to the forum.When I get knives shipped to europa from the US, I pay anywhere from 6$ to 35$ :( but mostly around 15$ and spydieguys are a safe place to buy from
169 :spyder: and always room for one more :D
Azad

Post by Azad »

kankryb wrote:Hi and wellcome to the forum.When I get knives shipped to europa from the US, I pay anywhere from 6$ to 35$ :( but mostly around 15$ and spydieguys are a safe place to buy from
To Chris...
Thanks for the heads-up on New Graham. I'll make sure to go through their catalogue with a fine tooth comb. I'll make sure to pop in from time to time and contribute where I can. The atmospere in this forum is definitely more welcoming than some of the others I've been in. The UKPK seems interesting but notice they can be quite pricy for a non-locking blade.

To kankryb...
I agree with your sentiments on international shipping, most are too expensive, maybe it's because they are using flat rate envelopes, I don't know. USD15 is the average it seems. Thanks for your input on spydieguys. Ordered 2 knives from them but it seems that I'm unable to contact them regarding the invoice which shows a wrong shipping amount. Will mail them again. I hate it if they end up thinking I'm delaying on payment. With the economy as it is (even Singapore is in a recession) businesses need liquidity and it's tough enough getting sellers to ship to my side of the world.

Azad
scout

Post by scout »

Welcome to the forum. The last time that I was in Singapore, I was very surprised at the cleanliness of your cities. No gum on the sidewalks and trash all in the bins tidy.
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Selamat Datang Azad !

Glad you can avail yourself of some cash toward Spyderco :D I usually buy online from a variety of sources. There are many knife retailers in the WWW. I usually buy from a knife dealer called Blades & Brights - I think their website is http://www.bladesandbrights.com and also from NGK and Spydieguys on eBay. All have given me great service.

My missus thinks I am nuts too, and doesn't know the extent of my 'hoard' as yet.

I'll have to take more pics of my latest acquisitions over the last 6 months or so as I have been pretty slack in that department of late.

Hope you enjoy your stay.

BTW: I am a Malaysian, Kiwi, Aussie !!!!
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
wescobts

Post by wescobts »

Welcome to the forum, yeah it's kind of weird how knifes effect us. Being in the U.S. I don't have an answer for you on where to buy, but someone will chime in, enjoy your stay, it's real nice here, a bunch of good folks ! :D
learning it the hard way... :rolleyes:
stonefrog

Post by stonefrog »

Hi and welcome,

Spydieguys are good people to deal with. I've used them a few times since moving to the UK and can only praise their service.

I have purchased of New Graham when living in NZ. The postage was NZ$25. It might be a hassle to deal with them if you arn't an existing customer as they will only except Western Union for payments from new overseas people now.

Also keep an eye on the ends of peoples posts on this forum. Quite a few members have links to websites they own which sell spydecos.

cheers James
Azad

Post by Azad »

To Scout...
Glad someone in this forum has been to Singapore. If there's one thing visitors have noticed about Singapore it's that our streets are very clean. It wasn't always that way though and it's easy to have "gum free" sidewalks considering Singapore is the only country in the world to ban it. Don't worry though, you went be stopped by a policeman for chewing gum. It's one of those law that's very loosely enforced.

Terima kasih Daniel...
I'll check out that store you recommends. About the wife making a fuss over our hobbies... Well she may have a point. You don't hear of women taking photos of their shoe collection, posting the pics and discussing about them on the internet. My biggest fear in life is that when I die, she'd sell my fishing tackle and knives for what I said I paid for them.

To Wescobts...
Thank you for the warm welcome... :)

To Stonefrog...
Glad to know you've had a godd experience dealing with Spydieguys, now if only I can get them to e-mail me back. Must be all the business that comes with the holiday season. Good time for the retailers. Hopefully this will give the global economy a boost.
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Azad wrote:

Terima kasih Daniel...
I'll check out that store you recommends. About the wife making a fuss over our hobbies... Well she may have a point. You don't hear of women taking photos of their shoe collection, posting the pics and discussing about them on the internet. My biggest fear in life is that when I die, she'd sell my fishing tackle and knives for what I said I paid for them.

Sama sama Azad,

I fear my wife finding my 80-90 (yeah I did lose count ! :rolleyes :) amongst the 6 or so which I have told her I have, and that she has seen me using :D ).

Now, what you need to do is get a Photobucket or Flikr account (or similar), take a boatload of photos of all your Spydies and post up :) We all need to see what you like about your knives, and a mini review of them would be awesome.

Enjoy your covert knives ... watch out ! here she comes ! :p
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
kukoka

knifeworks is OK a well

Post by kukoka »

Hi Azad, welcome here!

I live in Europe and buy most of my knives from knifeworks. They do charge USD 33.95 for shipping here, but I have found their prices comparable with NGK and they accept PayPal and credit cards. I usually wait until I can place an order totalling ~300 USD (buying together with friends) and this reduces the shipping cost per knife to an acceptable level. Moreover, buying from the USA and paying all shipping costs, customs and taxes is STILL cheaper for me than buying from a local dealer. Amazing thing, world economy.. :confused:

Bests,
Akos
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

I usually buy from Spydieguys. Of course I live in Canada so not far away at all. I usually bid on their no-reserve auctions on ebay, I've got some pretty cheap spydies that way. Shipping is around $10 usually to Canada, I think $5 more for every other knife you get shipped with the first.
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
Azad

Post by Azad »

Thanks for the reply everyone...

Got in touch with Jess from Spydieguys over the weekend and managed to settle some issues I had with my orders, responce was fast IMHO. Good guys in my book. May give NGK a try in February when I've saved enough for my next knife. Shipping costs are killing me. Sad to get charged over USD20 from some sellers eBay only to receive a package that says shipping costs USD7. That's life I guess...
shahrial

Post by shahrial »

Hi I'm a newbie here and also from Singapore. I'm getting 'hooked' to Spydies and there seems to be no cure for it. Nice to have bumped into you, Azad. Cheers! :)
Donut

Post by Donut »

Welcome to the forum.

You bumped a 3 year old thread.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Welcome, and holy zombie thread Batman.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Azad

Post by Azad »

defenestrate wrote:welcome, and holy zombie thread batman.
it"s aliiiive!!!!