cutting finger nails with a folder?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
oneformula

cutting finger nails with a folder?

Post by oneformula »

i see it mentioned a LOT. do you really do this? often? primary means of cutting nails?? toe nails, too?? HOW?

i prefer nail clipper for toes and victorinox scissors for finger nails. (to much personal information!!!)

i wouldn't know how to cut nails with a blade.
peacefuljeffrey

Post by peacefuljeffrey »

It sounds ridiculous and stupid to cut one's nails with a knife blade.
I think that anyone attempting this, when he gets cut, deserves to get cut.

Where did you hear of people doing it, anyway?
"Within this frame an ocean swells -- behind the smile -- I know it well..."
oneformula

i've heard it mentioned in brochures

Post by oneformula »

spyderco's own catalog

and that it has been a design requirement for Sal.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Cutting finger nails with a folder? The very thought of it hurts :o
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
redhawk44357

Post by redhawk44357 »

i've done it many times and no i never cut myself. fingernails that is. its not that hard. course then i am from the old school (58).
DMgangl

Post by DMgangl »

I've just always used the scissors on my leatherman.

DM
Smile, it can always get worse
El Comanche

Post by El Comanche »

I'm a flamenco guitarist and sometimes I do it in a pinch before a show. I've found getting in between a serration on an SE blade works well-
What's the difference between a Republican and a Democrat?
A Republican wants to raise your taxes a little less then a Democrat and they both disagree on which freedoms you should have taken away . . .
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

I've been curious about this one too. It seems a little extreme, kinda like shaving with a Hossom, but I suppose that in a pinch out in the field it might be useful. I just think there are better and safer tools for the job (which to me also means faster).
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

I actually always use a folder for my nails :) SE works best, you get the nail in the small serration and it just slices it off. PE also works, just not as good.
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
gac

Post by gac »

I use the serrations on a folder to trim my nails. Is your question about closing the blade on a folder like a scissors?
tap

Post by tap »

vvVvvVvvV I have not used anything else for about 15 years. This is just one more reason that ALL of my EDC have some teeth. It works best if the knife has a small serration first in line rather than a large one . My Gerber EZ-OUT JR has the small serration first. I can't imagine a better tool for trimming finger nails. The Lady Bug 3 works OK because the large serration is fairly small. Most Sydercos have the large serration first and that is not ideal. I have considered adding one more small serration on my D4s. I will just have to cut into the kick a tiny amount. Those that insist on carrying PEs could easily add a single small serration. If you have never used a knife with a small serration first in line then you can't possible imagine how well this works. On edit; You do need to keep that first serration very sharp and near the factory angle.
Don't leave earth without some teeth. I carry a knife to open a can of worms.
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

I use my SE H1 Mariner for that quite often. works great, no problems or cut-off fingertips so far.
Doc Pyres wrote:[...] It seems a little extreme, kinda like shaving with a Hossom, [...]
That said....:

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=ngFdNZX0REA

Dennis
ClockWork

Post by ClockWork »

Call me high-tec, but I use nail clippers
:) Favorites: Black Paramil w/ D2 blade, PE Mini-Manix, S90v Military, Civilian, SE Dodo, PE Police, Sage

Vist my eBay store: Life and Liberty Gear
Tactical & MOLLE gear, Headgear and more

stores.ebay.com/Life-and-Liberty-Gear
CombatGrappler

Post by CombatGrappler »

I always carry a pair of nail clippers in my pocket, so that is what I usually use. It is quick and easy, plus having clippers can make you a hero to any female coworker who is having a nail problem.

However, if I lost/forgot my clippers and had a hangnail or the like, I would not be afraid to "shave" it off with my Spydie. Sitting down and trimming all 10 nails with a knife would be kinda silly when you can get clippers for less than a buck, though.
oneformula

Post by oneformula »

CombatGrappler wrote:...plus having clippers can make you a hero to any female coworker who is having a nail problem.
wouldn't most women puke? that's a hygiene problem... people get skin eating diseases from manicure and nail cutlery if not disinfected properly
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Well, I guess I'm officially an old fart now. I've been trimming my fingernails with a pocket knife since I was a kid. I never carry clippers (they just aren't versatile enough to suit me) and I chip or break fingernails pretty regularly at work, so the pocket knife gets used. Yes, I have cut myself a couple of times doing it. So what?
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

If I'm at work, I have wire cutters on my bench :p

The rest of my day, if I need to trim a nail I either use a knife or the file on my multi. Only have to resort to clippers for toe nails.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

Yep SE is the way to do it. One side is easier than the other, mostly due to the one sided nature of the SE grind.
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Always have a nail clipper at home and keep a small one in my desk at work. Still, I do use a Kiwi if a nail breaks while I'm out and occasionally if it's only one nail and I'm just too lazy to look for the clippers. Can't recall ever cutting myself. Back when I use to garden and work on cars and bikes I'd use a knife all the time to clean under my nails.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
feeny

Post by feeny »

Surely a job that the cricket excels at....