CF Native4 or CF Caly3

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Spygineer

CF Native4 or CF Caly3

Post by Spygineer »

need your input. looking to get myself a xmas present. cant seem to decide between the two. if you have pics all the better. this is for daily edc. thanks in advance.
I'm Hooked like a hawkbilll!!!:D
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Depends on what you value most. Both are excellent knives so it comes down your preferences and/or needs.

In my opinion, the Native's potential pluses would be 4 way carry, a blade that's more scratch resistant overall, and an extremely confidence inspiring 50/50 choil. Caly 3's would be the superior edge holding of its ZDP-189 blade core, deeper and more discreet pocket carry, and the thumb "stop" provided by the thumb ramp.

Of course some will consider one or more of what I've labeled as pluses to be negatives. Most will probably consider all screw construction a plus for the Native IV.

Aside from that, they're of very similar construction, have nearly identical CF on their handles, and similar levels of fit and finish.

Have you ever handled the FRN C41 or the FRN Calypso Jr? If so you have a fairly good idea of what their upscale descendents are going to feel like in your hand.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

i dont have the new CF Native but judging by the pics and the price id go for the CF Caly3, i really couldnt see a Native out performing the Caly3 regardless of the scales

still really wish the new CF Native had the same older style (native arrow) type blade but its fully flat ground which i dont like, but thats just me
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

I agree with Paul's evaluation and I would add one element that is (mostly) perceptual.

The CF Caly is a Gentleman's knife that can stand up to hard work.

The CF Native IV is a hard working knife that can pass as a Gentleman's knife.

As mentioned, the ZDP is harder. Will hold an edge longer and is more difficult to sharpen.

For me, if I were in an office, I would choose the Caly. If I were "out in the world" I'd choose the Native.

Unlike Riot, I find the FFG grind on the Native to be more functional. I love the looks of the original Native grind but I'd rather use the FFG.

Hope this helps.

Ken
玉鋼
catamount

Post by catamount »

The Native IV is my pick. I like how easy it is to put a great edge on VG-10, and I don't care for the lamination lines on the ZDP Caly 3. I'm also finding that I prefer "humpless" designs like the Native.

I wouldn't want to give up my G-10/VG-10 Caly 3, though.
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
dalefuller

Post by dalefuller »

One more consideration... as an ex-Native user who prefers the Caly 3 family, I find all of the Natives a bit harder to get open than most of my other Spydercos because the blade and hole sit so close to the handle. When I had Chase Axinn and STR mod a couple of Native 1s for me, I got them to enlarge the choil in the handle so I could get a better placement in the opening hole.

The proto CF Native that I handled at Blade still didn't give me enough exposed area to get a solid push in the hole, so I found my thumb slipping out of the hole sometimes.

Of course, that's just uncoordinated old me... lotsa folks have no trouble at all opening any of the Natives.
Regards,
Dale

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
~ Will Rogers, 1879-1935
Henry1960

Post by Henry1960 »

Me personally i would go with the Native for reason like Paul said it has the four way clip and every day use of VG-10 For sharpening compared to ZD-P. And looks and size for me i would go with the Native. Now i do have a Caly CF and also have the caly VG-10 And like the VG-10 CalyIII very much. So Native IV gets my vote to Caly CF :eek:
Henry

My Wife Say`s I Buy One More Spydie She`s Going To Divorce Me....God I`m Going To Miss Her!!! :rolleyes:
Capt. Carl

Post by Capt. Carl »

My vote is with the native. I personally prefer the design over the caly 3 and I'm a big fan of vg-10.
mrappraisit

Post by mrappraisit »

I say try the Native, CF Caly's are fairly easy to get and you could probably sell the N4 pretty easily if you don't like it, or if it's used a bit trade into a Caly3. If you get the N4 let us know what you think.
After enlightenment, the laundry.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'd take the Caly 3 for the ZDP189 steel over VG10 and the wire clip is nice too. Both knives are great designs with excellent ergos, I'd be happy with either one. I just pick ZDP when I can.
:unicorn
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

I guess someone has to say it... Get them BOTH! :D C'mon, it's a Christmas present to yourself, after all. You deserve it, and you'll enjoy both knives in different ways. :)
Spygineer

Post by Spygineer »

Thanks for the feedback folks!

I tend to agree with the less favored ZDP especially for someone like me who is not well versed in sharpening. I do like the ease of sharpening VG-10.

So this rules out the CF Caly3.

Now, I have never handled any version of the Native and my current EDC is a caly jr VG-10 which I really like.

So I'm leaning towards the Native4...though I am also NOW considering the G-10 Caly3 in VG10 (since it seems to be a must have for :spyder: nuts!). Which should I get first????

(I wish I could get both, but the holidays have left me with very little to splurge. But I do feel I need a :spyder: fix...It's been several months since my last purchase.)
I'm Hooked like a hawkbilll!!!:D