Persian Too Tight

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
slyy

Persian Too Tight

Post by slyy »

I just bought a c83 Persian and I have to say it is a beautiful knife. However it is far too tight. It is impossible to close without forcing the blade down. I have tried washing it out with wd40 and water and also lubing it with 3in1. Is there anything else I should try or should I send it in?
I'm also having a hard time getting my spydies sharp near the tip of the blade on the sharpmaker. The rest of the blades are sharp but the first inch or 2 remains dull. Its probably my technique but I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and how they fixed it. Thanks guys.
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Congrats on finding one of my favourite folders :) I is a thing of beauty and a great powerhouse slicer to boot !

Is the blade centred when closed? Have you noticed anything on the lock side that might be hindering movement? All my Persians have been tight when new, but your sounds dangerously so. Having to force it closed is not a good thing and sometimes your fingers might get in the way.....we don't want that !

I would try to open and close it many MANY times and see how it goes. After a few hundred openings/closings if it doesn't get any better I would just stop to avoid any injury. Contact Spyderco's fantastic W&R section and let them know your situation. I'm sure they'll be able to help out somehow.

Post some closeup pics on here if you can find anything wrong. I'm sure others here will be able to help.

If after all that you don't want it.... well, I might just be No.1 Persian fan (or close to it :D )
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

i recently got my first Persian aswell and I love it but run into the same dilema as you, its very very hard to flick open and tuff to close, its not that is not dirty at all just the way its made.

very beautiful knife though, but didnt replace my CF Delica SE
slyy

Post by slyy »

I wouldn't say that it is "dangerously tight". Maybe I slightly exaggerated. It's just that I like to be able to let the blade drop when I press the lock and maybe to flick it open with my finger like I can with me delica and millie. I wouldn't be as concerned but it is used so I'm not sure it will get better. Ha I'm still very happy with it but if I ever want to let it go I'll tell you. It also has a krein ffg :) . That's why I want to solve my little tip problem bc it has a lot of potential. I have gotten the lower half of the blade extremely sharp. Oh the blade seems perfectly centered and I can't find a thing wrong with it other than the stiff action.
Capt. Carl

Post by Capt. Carl »

I found that the persian's pivot system with that ss bolster was really susceptible to dirt and water. Those would severely mess up the overall action of the knife. Try lubing it up and if dirt is coming out, then keep lubing and wiping till it's fixed.
Billy

Post by Billy »

Stiff action is par for the course for the bolstered Schempp models. My Persians (big and small) all took alot of opening and closing to get things a bit looser, but I don't believe you will ever be able to push the lock and just have the blade swing shut. I usually do the one hand close with all my knives (push the lock and give it a little wrist flick, then finish it with my thumb in the spydie hole), but the Persians and Kris take a very hard wrist flick just to get the blade started. Most of my other knives only take a light flick to get the blade almost all the way home. For me, it's an easy adjustment to make and sooo worth it for these awesome knives. Keep working it and it will get better with use, but never like say, an Endura where the blade just falls when you push the lock.

As for sharpening the tip, just go slow and make sure you are hitting the edge bevel on the flat all the way to the tip (try the marker trick). With the upswept tip, you have to take a bit more care to make sure that happens. But at the same time, make sure you don't drag the tip off the edge of the rod as you finish your stroke or you will round it off.

Congrats on your new purchase! One of the all-time greatest Spydercos IMO.
I prefer to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
I LOVE MY MILLIES
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

If you like knives that swing open and shut like a garden gate, the Persians and Kris are definitely not for you. Between the three models I have about a dozen, and they all have considerable tension between the blade and the handle. Even with the lockbar held down all the way the resistance is there. Doesn't bother me one bit, if anything I wish more models were like that, but know some folks feel differently.

Can't really help on the other. I do all my sharpening with flat stones. I never could get the hang of the Sharpmaker.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Hey Slyy,

OK from your initial description it sounded like you had to depress it to get it to close. It now sounds like a normal Persian. Keep working at it and using it. It will loosen up a bit but it should still feel fairly tight compared to the FRN and G10 knives.

I have about half a dozen of these and they are awesome ! I can't get enough of them. I sharpen them once in a while and lube them up a bit around the pivot and work it really well. I tends to wash out some gunk from the internals and helps a bit with a smoother action.
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
slyy

Post by slyy »

Well I think it's a bit worse than it should be but I can't say for sure not having handled another one. I didn't mean that I expect it to just swing shut when I press the lock. That blade isn't budging no matter how hard I flick it! But I can close it with a couple fingers without too much trouble.Thanks I will wash it out more and try the marker trick.
bluemist

Post by bluemist »

The upside.... zero play.
spyder spyder spyder spyder
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

slyy wrote:Well I think it's a bit worse than it should be but I can't say for sure not having handled another one. I didn't mean that I expect it to just swing shut when I press the lock. That blade isn't budging no matter how hard I flick it! But I can close it with a couple fingers without too much trouble.Thanks I will wash it out more and try the marker trick.
i still think its supposed to be the way it is, its my first spyder that isnt inertia friendly when flicking it open, its still very nice in its own unique way, i love the way it feels and looks also, im not knocking this knife at all like some others i cant stand
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

No offense OP, but flicking is for Balisongs. ;)
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
Senorx

Post by Senorx »

I also have a Persian C83. It is pretty tight and locks up solid. I'll take it off your hands if you don't like it. I have been looking for a "backup". :D
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." -Ernest Hemingway
slyy

Post by slyy »

I don't want it to be a balisong! I simply want it to close the way it was meant to, by pressing the lock and giving it a slight flick then closing the blade the rest of the way with your finger(see http://www.spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/index.php?item=7). I did get it to loosen up a little. ha I really love the knife guys and noones getting it.