What spyderco next for me?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bikerdoc

What spyderco next for me?

Post by bikerdoc »

OK guys I need your advice. Been playing with knives for 52 years, im 60, have about 4 dozen but only 3 spyderco's as I just "found" them last year and they are now my favorite.
I have a Native, tenacious, and endura, so many more to get!
I prefer plain edge, except for that Im open to all sugestions.
So many choices, so limited a budget.
So sound off and guide this old man!
Thanks,
Doc
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

Well Doc,

you will eventually get answers with each and every Spydie ever made if you wait long enough :) , so it all boils down to personal preference. We know now you like plain edge, but that doesn't help much since most of the :spyder: are available in PE...

so let's start with

1) the blade: do you prefer a certain style? droppoint, bowie, hawkbill ;) ?
2) the grind: most of us seem to prefer full flat grind, but maybe you like i.e. saber hollow grind better?
3) the handle material: basically, you can choose between steel, G-10, FRN and CF. The latter is quite rare in the lineup just like Micarta.
4) the PRICE. The ones you already own are among the more affordable models, so you maybe want to evolve to the higher priced Spydies now...
5) How do you want to USE it? Since you own so much knives, I guess you won't abuse a new knife that much... or do you only collect them? Slight EDC use (cutting cardboard, food, envelopes...) seems to be the major use the Spydies of the forum members get (Well, SOME members beat the cr*p out of theirs.... :) )

You should go through these questions (and maybe tell us your answers) to narrow down the choices a little.

Dennis

P.S.: All that said.... get a Stretch II :D :D
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

Big or small? for serious,hard use, or not?

No wrong answers... just might help narrow down selections.
bikerdoc

Post by bikerdoc »

OK,I like FRN or g-10 -no steel
the grind does not matter
prefer drop point
EDC use= lot of whittling
2.75 to 4 inch blade
To be honest the native is my favorite in s30v
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

bikerdoc wrote:OK guys I need your advice. Been playing with knives for 52 years, im 60, have about 4 dozen but only 3 spyderco's as I just "found" them last year and they are now my favorite.
I have a Native, tenacious, and endura, so many more to get!
I prefer plain edge, except for that Im open to all sugestions.
So many choices, so limited a budget.
So sound off and guide this old man!
Thanks,
Doc
My personal preference is for the Pacific salt,It`s similar in size to the endura which you have.Pacific salt has better corrosion resistance. "The force is strong with this one"
Billy

Post by Billy »

G-10 Caly 3!
I prefer to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
I LOVE MY MILLIES
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
boxer93

Post by boxer93 »

I would say Caly Jr lightweight, but they are getting expensive. I'd say UKPK no lock (you sound like a slippit Doc) or a Caly III back lock. Plus is had the choil like the native.
My son used my Caly Jr ltwt to work on his woodcarving merit badge. VG-10 is pretty easy to sharpen.
My .03USD
Chris
Be Excellent to each other.
bikerdoc

Post by bikerdoc »

Keep them coming guys, good stuff

really like the caly 3,

impressed by stretch and pacific salt

then
I stumbled upon the SAGE!!! Oh what a dilema!!!!
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

I have had many Spydercos over the last 15 years and the one that I just can't stop lovin' is the Sage. It is almost perfect. I still can't get over how much I like the Carbon Fiber scales on this one. They are unlike any other scales I have handled--good looking and grippy. I really like the wire clip too. As I have said before, if this knife had a ball lock to go with the wire clip and CF scales, it would be just about perfect. GET THE SAGE!
You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

If you can find one..a mini manix. its basically a native on steroids, and g-10 handle.
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
wescobts

Post by wescobts »

Lets get you out of the box, how about a Tasman Salt with a hawkbill blade, I'll let you choose the color of handle. My brother is getting one for Christmas from me, I chose black frn.
learning it the hard way... :rolleyes:
Cricket Bite

Micro Dyad

Post by Cricket Bite »

This seems like it could be what you are looking for. The two blades giving you options for whittling. Not sure if you want a clip or not. There are choices with handle options as well. If you google it I am sure you can find more handle options than listed in the current catalog.
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

If you can find one, try the original Spyderco Stretch. The new version is more expensive (and worth it) than you might want. I own both versions and really like them...

The Persian might be just the right knife for you. Perhaps you really should get two until you can decide? :p
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

If you can find one, try the original Spyderco Stretch. The new version is more expensive (and worth it) than you might want. I own both versions and really like them...

The Persian might be just the right knife for you. Perhaps you really should get two until you can decide? :p

(Happy to help)
bikerdoc

Post by bikerdoc »

gentlemen,
you are all evil - in a good way- love every one of your sugestions, therefore
my decision is to get the sage next. Gather up a bunch of money by selling off some other toys (Motorcycle goes first since i just had two discs fused fri and a big plate put in my neck from c4 to t1) :( and spend my free time collecting spyderco's
Thanks guys
Is there such a thing as a 12 step spyderco program? :D
vito72

Post by vito72 »

New Polywog G10 respect 99% of your requests maybe only the blade its a bit shorter...

Caly III its a good alternative...
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Caly 3
Mini Persian
Native IV
Kopa
Delica IV
Para
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Caly3 in G10/VG10(or UKPK, if you do not care about lock and prefer S30V). Absolutely amazing EDC. 3" FFG blade, finger choil, low riding wire clip, also look beautiful, great ergos. IMHO, it will be hard to find better EDC than Caly3/UKPK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOkbelaWB1A

C105 Persian, also amazing knife. Fits little better for dress-up occasions than Caly3 and great user as well.
There are many great Spydercos, but out of current production these two are on the top of my list, also on the cost/performance ratio.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian