The SPYDER-EDGE: Getting a bum rap?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Misapplication can generate negative opinions

Post by JD Spydo »

For all you guys/gals who seem to have a gripe with serrated edges there are a couple of things I want you to consider. First of all not alll serrated patterns are good for all jobs. I'll be the first to admit that. Second, I truly believe that people's pre-conceived notions tend to make them think negatively before they even give serrated edges a fair trial.

Albeit Spyderco's edges are some of the most well designed and aggressive cutting of any on the market and I can give you several examples of that. Just 2 days ago at work I had some items on a pallet that were secured by very heavy, thick nylon straps. 2 of the guys tried their regular box cutter blades and didn't have any luck breaking them. I put my 440V, SE Native to the job and those straps popped so easy I couldn't believe it.

So I disagree that SE edges don't perform well. I'm not saying that SE edges are the answer to every cutting chore but they certainly excel at many cutting jobs involving rugged materials of all types. I've never had any type of heavy duty nylon or other polymer type materials that one of my Spyderco SE blades couldn't just walk right through it.

But if some people have already made up their minds that they don't like them>> well I don't think anything unfortunately would convince them otherwise.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
mm1

Post by mm1 »

I love a SE edge. The problem is I've never been able to sharpen a SE, even on a sharpmaker where I get a PE scary sharp. I think that has a lot of people turned off on the SE. It might not because they don't like them but, because they might not be able to effectively sharpen them.
D-Roc

Post by D-Roc »

When I buy a :spyder: I always try to buy SE...but if there is a knife that doesn't come in the configuration that I like, I will buy it no matter what edge it has...
I'm less paritcular than I have been in the past.
:spyder: MEMBRE DE L'ORDRE INTERNATIONALE SPYDEREDGE :spyder:
vivi

Post by vivi »

JD Spydo wrote:I've never had any type of heavy duty nylon or other polymer type materials that one of my Spyderco SE blades couldn't just walk right through it.
Same with me and my PE blades. They do fine cutting thick nylon straps or going through other thick plastic materials. They also slice rope and bread fine. Everything I've heard SE edges are good at my PE knives can do. Maybe not as well in some cases, but I've never been unable to cut what I've needed to cut.
:unicorn
Piercieve

Post by Piercieve »

That's it. I'm starting the International Order of the Plain Edge and splitting this place right down the middle. :D

Besides shaving, what all are PE knives better suited for?
"I ain't looking for confusion, but it tends to follow me."

E4 white, E4 waved SE, Caspian Salt, Crossbill, Mule, white Dragonfly, Boker CLB Desert Subcom, BM Blackwood mini Skirmish,
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Piercieve wrote:That's it. I'm starting the International Order of the Plain Edge and splitting this place right down the middle. :D

Selling I guess :p
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
choubbi

Post by choubbi »

Piercieve wrote:That's it. I'm starting the International Order of the Plain Edge and splitting this place right down the middle. :D

cutting cleanly thick materials, getting under a price tag on a book to remove it, cutting some stuff quicker (I'm thinking about kitchen condiments), skinning animals, and lots of other stuff you need a little belly for.
Melektau

Post by Melektau »

Their aint nothing like getting cut with a serrated harpy kind of a religious experience
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

For me it's nothing personal about the brand or their serrations design. In that regard, I agree they're top of the list for performance and ease of sharpening. I just don't care for serrations...they just don't suit my needs. I honestly wish I had more interesting EDC needs just so I could justify a SE hawkbill, but my SE H1 hawkbill Ladybug has seen very little use since getting my ZDP Ladybug. I just have yet to encounter a cutting job that my PE knives couldn't do well enough that I wasn't stuck sitting there thinking "man If i just had a SE knife this would be so much easier".
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Donut

Post by Donut »

Melektau wrote:Their aint nothing like getting cut with a serrated harpy kind of a religious experience
Welcome to the forum. This thread is more than 5 years old.

My general rule is: When you use the search function, only post if it really needs it.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

LOL I didn't even notice the age. It is kind of sad that JD has been on the crusade to save the SE for over 5 years though lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Evil D wrote:LOL I didn't even notice the age. It is kind of sad that JD has been on the crusade to save the SE for over 5 years though lol.
I suspect he has been fighting the good fight for way longer than that. He was the one whom convinced me to buy a resuce and try my first SE Spydie. Glad I listened.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Melektau

Post by Melektau »

When you go to cut weed eater string you learn nothing but the spyder edge will do
JD Spydo

Necessity Proved it to ME

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:LOL I didn't even notice the age. It is kind of sad that JD has been on the crusade to save the SE for over 5 years though lol.
It's been more that 5 years BRother :D I got totally convinced back when I worked at a wetlands project back in 2004. I mistakenly on that one autumn day took a fully serrated Spyderhawk instead of the Endura I had been working with. I got into a problem with some cattails and reeds ( plants that grow in swamps here in middle America) and when I went for the folder I thought I had it turned out to be my fully serrated VG-10 Spyderhawk.

I was totally blown away at how fast it got me out of a tangled up mess that I didn't think anything short of a hand-grenade could get me out of :eek: >> My ATV was then freed up and I was able to proceed with the job at hand. From that day forward I never went anywhere or did any job without taking at least one Spyderedged blade with me at all times.

The jobs that Spyderedges work on>> they work very, very well. And I use one of my Spyderedged blades ( mainly a Hawkbill) almost each and every day since then.
Ragman24

Post by Ragman24 »

I really dig the Spyder Edge.I wish they'd offer it on the Endura in all the colors.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Ragman24 wrote:I really dig the Spyder Edge.I wish they'd offer it on the Endura in all the colors.
The Endura in Spyderedge is truly one of the Flagship Spyders.>> I do like the Military just a little bit better in Spyderedge than I do the Endura but both blades are great.

There are so many models that I would have liked to have seen them do a fully serrated version and one of the main models is the Superhawk. AS far as I know it's the only Hawkbill that was never offered up in Spyderedge. To me a plain edged Hawkbill is truly at a handicap compared to what a fully serrated Hawkbill can do.

If any of you would ever get to try the older AUS-8 Catcherman in full SE you would be amazed. I sure wish they would make it available again in H-1 and full SE. None of the Rescue type blades would have ever gained the popularity they have if it were not for them being offered in full SE. I rest my case for now.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I constantly flirt with the idea of having my D'Allara Rescue flat ground. Maybe some day. SE + edge thinness = heaven. :D
-F1

Post by -F1 »

Assuming I woke up in the right universe, it has been a little over 4 years, not over 5 years. I personally don't see the problem with "reviving" old threads, as long as they're of a subject matter that it make sense to keep discussing. That's the case here. If you get an email of a topic update that you long forgot about, that's your own fault for not managing your topic subscriptions.

As far as the actual topic goes... I am amazed at the disdain for SE some people exhibit. Not here, but... Elsewhere on the internet. I wonder how many of those people have actually used an SE blade.

I personally love my SE Stretches, and hate that they've been discontinued.

I often use my SE blades for things that I hate using PEs for. Yes, branches are one thing. Yes, I know you can "whittle" at branches with a PE. That's a hassle to me. I've done it, and I hate it.

People also tend to forget one strong suit of SE blades: They stay sharper, longer than PEs. I use a Sharpmaker on my SEs, and it's really not that hard. I focus on one side, and I get those suckers scary sharp. Because they maintain their edge longer, I feel I can use a much more aggressive angle on them. And I do. Some people like the harder steels like ZDP-189 because it lets them put aggressive angles on their blades; I see SE as accomplishing the same thing in the blade design itself.

I do prefer a PE for opening letters, though. :)
greenewk

Post by greenewk »

Man, JD, you've succeeded in elevating the SpyderEdge to a sort of mythic, religious status in my mind after reading all of this (and running across your posts elsewhere in the forum).

You really are the serration Messiah, hah!

I kid, but -- seriously, I guess after reading through this now >4year old thread, I feel not only persuaded, but morally obligated to invest in a SpyderEdged blade. Thinking about picking up the waved Matriarch 2.
JD Spydo

Hawkbills in SE; that's where serrations shine the best

Post by JD Spydo »

greenewk wrote:Man, JD, you've succeeded in elevating the SpyderEdge to a sort of mythic, religious status in my mind after reading all of this (and running across your posts elsewhere in the forum).

You really are the serration Messiah, hah!

I kid, but -- seriously, I guess after reading through this now >4year old thread, I feel not only persuaded, but morally obligated to invest in a SpyderEdged blade. Thinking about picking up the waved Matriarch 2.
The Matriarch 2 would be a great selection>> however I do ask you to consider an SE Harpy>> it is the one companion blade that I just about can't do without. It is one super aggressive bull of a cutter for it's size.

Serration Messiah?? :rolleyes: No I don't think I've earned that honor just quite yet. I'll wait until I get at least 6 of the models I want to see in SE before run for that office :D

But serrated Hawkbill are truly were the Spyderedge shines the best IMO. But the older full SE Military, Full SE Native and the older full SE "JD Smith" models are truly chain saws disguised as knives. The full SE Temperance 1 fixed blade model still amazes me to this day.

Funny but when one of my older threads makes it back to surface it's usually the original big Hawkbill thread with 150+ pages :eek: and it does pop up every now and then.

Speaking of which I still can't understand why they never made the Superhawk available in full SE :confused: That would have been a mega-beast in full SE. That model was even more ridgid than the Harpy.