H1 Spyderhawk -- Let's Commit!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
clovisc

H1 Spyderhawk -- Let's Commit!

Post by clovisc »

There's been a lot of interest in an H1 Spyderhawk lately... I thought I'd start a thread advocating for the production of what will surely be a hugely successful, hugely useful cutting tool.

If an H1 Spyderhawk was made... how many would you pledge to buy?

I will commit to get two of each variation. If they are PE/SE, with two different handle colors, that's 8 for me. :D :D :D :eek: :eek: :eek:

(And I'd like to humbly suggest the name THUNDERBIRD SALT!)

!EIGHT THUNDERBIRD SALTS FOR ME!
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

clovisc wrote:There's been a lot of interest in an H1 Spyderhawk lately... I thought I'd start a thread advocating for the production of what will surely be a hugely successful, hugely useful cutting tool.

If an H1 Spyderhawk was made... how many would you pledge to buy?

I will commit to get two of each variation. If they are PE/SE, with two different handle colors, that's 8 for me. :D :D :D :eek: :eek: :eek:

(And I'd like to humbly suggest the name THUNDERBIRD SALT!)

!EIGHT THUNDERBIRD SALTS FOR ME!
keep talking, clovisc, I'm all ears... :D :spyder:

Agent Starling
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
slice22358

Post by slice22358 »

Yeah I'm in so long as my wallet has cash in it ;)
Feeding the addiction

Proud member of The Cult of the Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

slice22358 wrote:Yeah I'm in so long as my wallet has cash in it ;)
build it and the cash will come... :rolleyes: ;) :D
slice22358

Post by slice22358 »

Agent Starling wrote:build it and the cash will come... :rolleyes: ;) :D
Starling, you never cease to amuse :p
Feeding the addiction

clovisc

Post by clovisc »

a BIG hawkbill has what i'd like to call "cross-over appeal" -- the ability to meet the needs of ELUs with a variety of specialized needs. Producing the design in H1 will further enhance its versatility.

Think about how great this knife would be for...:

-- Self-defense and martial arts
-- cutting linoleum and carpet
-- Pruning
-- Fishermen (especially fishermen dealing with BIG fish)
-- Sailors
-- Mushroom Hunting
-- Military
-- LEOs
-- Hawkbill fanatics like JD, Starling, and myself... :D
slice22358

Post by slice22358 »

My friend you are preaching to the choir here :D
Feeding the addiction

markg

Post by markg »

Yea, I would be down for one...
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

Oh, I'm down for the mushroom hunting...mushroom hunting??? :eek: ...never thought of that, but it sounds like fun... :)

Agent Starling
slice22358

Post by slice22358 »

Agent Starling wrote:Oh, I'm down for the mushroom hunting...mushroom hunting??? :eek: ...never thought of that, but it sounds like fun... :)

Agent Starling
LOL yeah I just caught that myself
Feeding the addiction

clovisc

Post by clovisc »

mushroom hunting, berry picking, fishing... we have some funny hobbies in our rain forest here... :D

i could have written "gathering devil's club" as an ideal use for an H1 spyderhawk -- but that would have raised waaaay too many questions... :D
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
slice22358

Post by slice22358 »

clovisc wrote:mushroom hunting, berry picking, fishing... we have some funny hobbies in our rain forest here... :D

i could have written "gathering devil's club" as an ideal use for an H1 spyderhawk -- but that would have raised waaaay too many questions... :D
Either that or it might answer some questions about Clovisc.....

:D
Feeding the addiction

JD Spydo

H-1 Spyderhawk Salt>> it even sounds good

Post by JD Spydo »

Look guys & gals this just makes perfect marketing sense. With the H-1, Salt series already being a moderate to good marketing success you already have the stage set.

They could put it up as the Tasman's big brother just like they did with the original Spyderhawk by marketing it as the Harpy's big brother.

And for you guys who want the reverse S blade we've been beating the drums for please consider this>> if this H-1 Spyderhawk would be a success and even a modest success ( although I think it would be much better) then don't you all think that would set the stage for that super, heavy duty "reverse S" Hawkbill we've been chatting about for the past 2 months????

With the Tasman, Caspian Salt and the other great blades in that series I just think it would be a great addition to an already successful line.

It makes perfect sense to me.. I'm open to criticism or encouragement. Let's talk
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

More H1 in general is a great idea. Lots of people worry about their knives rusting... I'd say, it's more a concern for many people than edge retention. And H1 does have good edge retention... especially great in SE, in the rock salt, and in steel that has been used, stressed, and resharpened often. These are knives that will last for ages. It's going to take people time to catch on, but the demand for H1 is likely to just increase over the years, I'd say.
slice22358

Post by slice22358 »

Well now that there is just so much hype, I'm convinced. But my question still stands, do you think that we should change parts of the design or keep it the same? My perfect knife would have a compression lock and a wire clip. ( see Superhawk :D )
Feeding the addiction

clovisc

Post by clovisc »

i say, keep it affordable! FRN is a great choice. we've already got a superhawk!

affordable hawkbills are great ambassadors for a design that is still unfortunately unfamiliar to many.
slice22358

Post by slice22358 »

Yeah a carbon fiber salt knife just doesn't make much sense. I would be worried about losing it :D So I agree entirely with FRN. Which color though? I know that there is a big following of the yellow colored handles, but I'm not particularly into them. Maybe a purple on for Starling :p
Feeding the addiction

clovisc

Post by clovisc »

colors i'd most like to see:

marine yellow
olive drab
foliage green
purple (!)
safety orange

i'd appreciate an H1 "gentleman's folder" well-suited to folks like myself, who are as likely to be in an office environment as they are out fly fishing for steelhead and salmon, or jigging in saltwater for shark... :D but an H1 spyderhawk... FRN please!
JD Spydo

A marketing slam dunk. The stage already set

Post by JD Spydo »

slice22358 wrote:Well now that there is just so much hype, I'm convinced. But my question still stands, do you think that we should change parts of the design or keep it the same? My perfect knife would have a compression lock and a wire clip. ( see Superhawk :D )
OK Slice stop for a minute and consider this. This is a much more do-able deal than the other Hawkbill for several reasons. First and foremost they already have the blade design, handle design, tooling and all they need to do is to order enough H-1 and FRN ( hopefully yellow and black) to start cranking out an older model in a newer steel. With it being part of the Salt series it's already got a super good marketing niche.

I can't see why they wouldn't take a serious look at this idea of an H-1 Spyderhawk. They could even change the name the Caspian Hawk and I would be good with it. I do want it in SE & PE. I'm wondering if they would want to do them in different handle colors for the different edge types. If so I could deal with that. Although I think it would be better to be consistent and have the same format as the Tasman. I would take both edge types in a yellow handle.

We have the advantage of most of the preparation work already being done, The design is already been completed as well as the handle design. This will make it so easy that the Great Spyder Factory will already be set up. It's a slam dunk from a marketing standpoint.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

as usual, JD... completely in agreement... :D
JD Spydo wrote:OK Slice stop for a minute and consider this. This is a much more do-able deal than the other Hawkbill for several reasons. First and foremost they already have the blade design, handle design, tooling and all they need to do is to order enough H-1 and FRN ( hopefully yellow and black) to start cranking out an older model in a newer steel. With it being part of the Salt series it's already got a super good marketing niche.

I can't see why they wouldn't take a serious look at this idea of an H-1 Spyderhawk. They could even change the name the Caspian Hawk and I would be good with it. I do want it in SE & PE. I'm wondering if they would want to do them in different handle colors for the different edge types. If so I could deal with that. Although I think it would be better to be consistent and have the same format as the Tasman. I would take both edge types in a yellow handle.

We have the advantage of most of the preparation work already being done, The design is already been completed as well as the handle design. This will make it so easy that the Great Spyder Factory will already be set up. It's a slam dunk from a marketing standpoint.