EDC Hawk Bill

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ncampbell2784

EDC Hawk Bill

Post by ncampbell2784 »

Does any one carry a hawk bill knife as a EDC ? If so what are some of the cutting task you use it for ?
Billy

Post by Billy »

I pretty much always have one on me, but it's not my primary EDC. I usually have either a SE Harpy or SE Tasman Salt IWB and these are typically the knives that get the nod for the really nasty cutting jobs. There's really only two things that I've found a serrated hawkie can't do well and that's open mail and food prep on a cutting board. Other than that, I find they can be a really handy knife for most EDC chores.

Basically, although I don't use it every day, it's nice to have it when I need it.
I prefer to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
I LOVE MY MILLIES
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
SoCal Operator

Post by SoCal Operator »

I've found the SuperHawk to be surprisingly versatile for EDC. I think it's because the blade is closer to a wharncliffe than other hawkbills.
Ask me where I got my awesome SUPERHAWK!

More like Mid-Cal now

Be Prepared
gordonk

Post by gordonk »

For me, I have either a Tasman Salt/SE or CF Harpy for evening/weekend more than daily EDC. What really surprised me with the hawkbills was how well they knocked down cardboard boxes :D Other uses - that fibreglass strapping to hold boxes together - hawkbill seems to just get underneath a little better/less pressure to make the cut.
JD Spydo

Spyderco Hawkbills make great EDC blades

Post by JD Spydo »

At this time I have 3 primary user Hawkbills that I rotate or EDC as needed. Keep in mind that I usually always carry a standard Spyder Folder but I always have an additional Spyderco Hawkbill folder with me as well.

Today for instance my primary EDC was a 440V, SE Native and I was also carrying a Tasman Salt PE, Yellow handled blade.

My main user line up of Hawkbills are the PE Tasman Salt I just mentioned along with an SE, G-10 handled Harpy and for special heavy duty jobs I have a blue handled, PE Spyderhawk I use on occassions for when I anticipate heavier than normal cutting.

At this point it is rare when I don't have a Hawkbill to accompany my main EDC folder. And believe me once you start carrying a Hawkbill folder it won't take you long to see the great tool value that Hawkbills have. The answer to your question is a resounding YES!!
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
slice22358

Post by slice22358 »

Well Billy and JD have basically said everything I would have said. But yeah hawkbills are fantastic EDC's and I always have one on me, sometimes two or three ;)
Feeding the addiction

Proud member of The Cult of the Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

ncampbell2784 wrote:Does any one carry a hawk bill knife as a EDC ?
yes! :D
ncampbell2784 wrote:If so what are some of the cutting task you use it for ?
everything and anything! great for clamshell packs...rips right thru them!

Usually it's the Harpy, Cricket or Subclaw that I end up EDC'ing. :spyder:

Agent Starling
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

I've been carrying the Superhawk since it came out...all urban cutting uses.
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
feeny

Post by feeny »

cricket... clamshells, packaging, opening envelopes, fruit / food, carefully cleaning the grit form under my fingernails.. and slicing up bits and pieces of my desk from time to time.
mitch

Post by mitch »

Yes, all of those things and more:heavy duty cardboard boxes like those that come with new large appliances or furniture, ripping open bags of mulch or soil out in the garden and all other bags as in dog and cat food, neatly opening those #*@! CD and other security packaging, but most importantly, slices through nylon webbing as in seat belts. I have heard of many incidents where people were killed because they could not extricate themselves from a seat belt...having a Harpy or other hawk-bill serrated knife would have saved a life!
Aside from all of those uses, I find myself often just feeling my Harpy and being comforted to know it is there when needed...7 decade old guys like me need something to use as a surprise during a dangerous situation.
I think Spyderco should make an Anniversary Harpy to celebrate their most famous knife...a new super Harpy (Magnum perhaps) made with the finest blade steel, titanium hilt, maybe a slightly longer blade and super strong lock and everything it would need to make it The Knife of the century and to celebrate the original Harpy!
I'd buy one in a heart-beat!

Best to all
Mitch

feeny wrote:cricket... clamshells, packaging, opening envelopes, fruit / food, carefully cleaning the grit form under my fingernails.. and slicing up bits and pieces of my desk from time to time.
Left Hand Path

Post by Left Hand Path »

I have used the Tasman SE and the Cricket SE as EDC. Now the Cricket is not a true hawkbill, but it's closely related and worth a mention. Both excel at most tasks, especially opening packaging, mail, cardboard, zip-ties or straps, rope/string, plastics, etc. The tip makes for a fine precision cutter.

Not a good choice for food, in my opinion. That is really the only shortcoming for EDC.

Usually I prefer a more standard blade shape for a true EDC blade. However, I always have a SAK on me, and a SE Hawkbill makes a great complement to that.
-Nick

Join Today!
http://www.KnifeRights.org
JD Spydo

Basic Hawkbills for starters

Post by JD Spydo »

ncampbell2784 wrote:Does any one carry a hawk bill knife as a EDC ? If so what are some of the cutting task you use it for ?
Also ncampbell there are a few distinct types of Hawkbills and some work better on different jobs. I like the ridgidity of my G-10 handled, ATS-55, SE Harpy for doing roughhouse work like ripping open appliance boxes like the one brother mentioned. I like my plain edged Tasman Salt for doing an assortment of cutting chores. I was pleasantly surprised this fall when I was harvesting my apples at how good a PE Hawkbill was for peeling and coring apples. It worked far better than any standard blade I had ever used for that job. You will find cutting jobs yourself the longer you own one. You will eventually be wanting to carry a Hawkbill and a standard folder.

I recommend you start out with an SE Harpy and a PE Tasman salt. Those 2 models are an excellent way to get aquainted with the tool value of the Hawkbill blades
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

i'm a big, big fan of the tasman. mine has dealt with a few too many nasty fish duties over the past months, and is needing a pretty thorough sterilization before it makes it back into my EDC...

my crossbill was great for lots of fish processing duties, as well, but ended up getting too mucked-up with guts, and then some corrosion... it's not doing so well. i've given it lots of TLC... still needs more.

tasmans are pretty popular out here... there's a diver who has given out -- literally -- HUNDREDS to his friends and co-workers. a friend of his got caught in a tugboat line, and drowned... he says that, if his friend had a hawkbill on him, he might have been able to cut the rope, and save himself.

thinking about it, my hawks are all pretty worn out from so much EDC use. i need to get another... :D

i would REALLLLLLLLLLY like a endura sized hawkbill salt... H1 spyderhawk!!!!!
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

For an EDC hawk, I'd highly reccomend a Serrated edge. I have a PE crossbill, and I think it's rather toothless when it comes to cutting with it, and the same goes with the two PE crickets I've had.

My SE cricket and my SE dodo on the other hand, they will chew through anything. :D

Hopefully soon, I'll have a SE harpy to go with them...
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
JD Spydo

Did I hear you say...???

Post by JD Spydo »

clovisc wrote:i'm a big, big fan of the tasman.

i would REALLLLLLLLLLY like a endura sized hawkbill salt... H1 spyderhawk!!!!!
Say it louder Brother Clovisc :cool: !!!! Because I hear the song "Rock & Roll Ain't Noise Pollution" playing in the background :eek: :D

A full sized H-1 Spyderhawk!!! WOW!!! That's what I call first class brainstorming Brother Clovisc. I haven't been this upbeat since the last time I saw KISS in concert with light bombs and lasers going off :D :D

An H-1 Spyderhawk>>> this should have been thought of some time ago but it is truly a genius idea whose time has come NOW for sure :cool:
Shenmue728

Post by Shenmue728 »

JD Spydo wrote:Say it louder Brother Clovisc :cool: !!!! Because I hear the song "Rock & Roll Ain't Noise Pollution" playing in the background :eek: :D

A full sized H-1 Spyderhawk!!! WOW!!! That's what I call first class brainstorming Brother Clovisc. I haven't been this upbeat since the last time I saw KISS in concert with light bombs and lasers going off :D :D

An H-1 Spyderhawk>>> this should have been thought of some time ago but it is truly a genius idea whose time has come NOW for sure :cool:
I have a Spyderhawk and its is too beastly for me to EDC. Too many NKP around my job. An H1 Spyderhawk would make me take up watersports though :D

As for the original question, When i have my SE stainless Harpy on me i can cut through anything. I back it up with a Paramillie and I can take on any cutting job. Truly more functional than you would think.
[CENTER]:spyder::spyder:Spyderco C.O.T.C.O.:spyder::spyder:[/CENTER]
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I use a Tasman Salt every day at work ( kitchen ) to open up and cut up tons of cardboard and packaging - it took over my Rescue 79mm's job - I love that knife, but since I got used to a hawkbill I LOVE it! I EDC'd it for a while exclusively to see of it's benefits, and it's great for all but food prep. Also, mine's serrated and I'm a plain edge man - serrated is king for cardboard, etc., but I still really enjoyed it - very educational. The only thing I would CHANGE about the serrated Tasman is a little more PLAIN EDGE at the tip - not much, but enough to facilitate easier mail opening, etc.

- best wishes, Jazz.
Agent Starling

Hawkbill Alert!

Post by Agent Starling »

Wow, is there a serious HARPY vibe on this thread or what? (yes to the former!)

Is there a secondary Superhawk vibration out there as well...? Oh, yes!!!

And is there an even fainter, yet growing, REVERSE S-CURVE VIBE getting stronger day by day...?

There is a serious HAWKBILL vibe on this forum lately, folks, and if you'll please excuse me a minute while I wait for my blood pressure to go down...all I can say is...wow! :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder:

Agent Starling
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
cyberspyder

Post by cyberspyder »

NOt really a hawksbill, but I use my Dodo everyday.
I BLEED TOXIC GREEN
:spyder: SPYDIE NUT
:spyder:

:spyder: Spyderco OG Manix PE
:spyder: Spyderco Black Dodo SE *gone*
:spyder: Spyderco Black Paramilitary PE *gone*
:spyder: Spyderco SPOT PE *gone*
:spyder: Spyderco OG Blackhawk SE *gone*
:spyder: Spyderco Ladybug/Photon *gone*
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

i've been vibing off of these possibilities for a while... like, at least a year... and i think it hasn't been the first time i mentioned them on the forums...

-- full-size H1 spyderhawk

-- reverse S FRN knife, in endura and delica size (or salt / pacific????) utility tip, or extra-fine SD tip... it doesn't matter to me! :D

and......

what about a FRN dodo?

FRN H1 dodo?

:D :D :D