EDC Hawk Bill

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pete1977

Post by Pete1977 »

I've been away for a while from the spyderco forums but I've carried a SE black dodo for over 2 years that was loaned to me by boxer93. I plan on picking up a SE Tasman for work on the tugs when i get back to chicago after the holidays.

Pete
Manix Guy 2

I Do !

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

Carry a Merlin (Gift From JD ) weakside unless I go with a Tasman . I SE CF is my black tie carry . Cutting limitations are few but I carry two knives so not an issue . Actually pocketed my Superhawk last couple of days , it always gets the WOW ! factor when I show it off . The Rolls Royce of Hawkbills . Regards MG2
JT

Post by JT »

I do EDC my curved ones.. and as allready said, they can be used almost for everything. Go and discover :)
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
gandalfe

Post by gandalfe »

I always carry a G10 PE Byrd crossbill.I usually rotate other spydies in my other pockets[Endura,Kopa,Centofante etc.]If I am going to do some heavy duty cutting or pruning, it's the Crossbill that comes out.Hawkbills are some of the most usefull cutting tools.The more you use it ,the more it grows on you. :spyder:
spyker

Post by spyker »

gandalfe wrote:I always carry a G10 PE Byrd crossbill.I usually rotate other spydies in my other pockets[Endura,Kopa,Centofante etc.]If I am going to do some heavy duty cutting or pruning, it's the Crossbill that comes out.Hawkbills are some of the most usefull cutting tools.The more you use it ,the more it grows on you. :spyder:
Me too,my EDC is a Byrd crossbill CE,I find the hawkbill alot more usefull in cutting things VS a plain edge.
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

My SS Cricket/SE hasn't left my FRP for a week now :)

Amazing little big cutting machine :cool:

Just imagine what a Delica sized one would be :eek: :eek: :cool: :D
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
JD Spydo

Hawkbill uses: Too numerous to mention

Post by JD Spydo »

I bet you all think I was joking when I told you I used my Tasman to process apples with this fall.

For the record that knife can peel, core and slice an apple about 3 times as fast as a conventional folder can. Not to mention no worry of corrosion with H-1 blade steel.

Every day I carry mine I find a new use for it.

If there ever was a blade design that was the victim of pre-conceived, baseless predjudices it's the Hawkbill without a doubt.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
ncampbell2784

Post by ncampbell2784 »

Thanks to everyone's input and suggestions I am the proud owner of a SE Harpy EDC knife. :D :D I just got it today so i haven't had the chance to put it to good use yet. So far I love it, I'm just not sure how I feel about the stainless handle yet.
slice22358

Post by slice22358 »

ncampbell2784 wrote:Thanks to everyone's input and suggestions I am the proud owner of a SE Harpy EDC knife. :D :D I just got it today so i haven't had the chance to put it to good use yet. So far I love it, I'm just not sure how I feel about the stainless handle yet.
I don't remember a person yet who hasn't loved it :D
Feeding the addiction

Proud member of The Cult of the Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
JD Spydo

Another step in the right direction

Post by JD Spydo »

ncampbell2784 wrote:Thanks to everyone's input and suggestions I am the proud owner of a SE Harpy EDC knife. :D :D I just got it today so i haven't had the chance to put it to good use yet. So far I love it, I'm just not sure how I feel about the stainless handle yet.
Congratulations "ncampbell" :) Hey you'll get used to the stainless handles. It's really a great model to start out with. I assume you got a VG-10 blade steel model which is a great one to get the feel for a premium Hawkbill. Also being it is an SE model I highly recommend getting a set of Spyderco 701 Profiles to keep it sharp with. Myself, Michael Cook and a few others will be more than glad to give you pointers in using them to keep your PE Harpy super sharp.

It won't be long you'll have 3 to 4 Hawkbills to select from. Trust me it happened to many of us :D
Agent Starling

good catch!

Post by Agent Starling »

I love stainless. But for fun, I put a piece of grip tape on the clip of my Lava. It's clear so it doesn't show too much.

Agent Starling
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
JD Spydo

Increased Grip Factor

Post by JD Spydo »

Agent Starling wrote:I love stainless. But for fun, I put a piece of grip tape on the clip of my Lava. It's clear so it doesn't show too much.

Agent Starling
You know I bet that there is some type of epoxy coating that you could use to put on those stainless handles to give them more grip. Now I will say that the size of the handle on the Harpy doesn't give me much trouble per se compared to the stainless Rescue I carry once in a blue moon.

The Harpy has such a beefy blade for it's size that it truly does make the perfect Hawkbill to start out on. I also think that people can really get the full cutting power of the Hawkbill with an SE blade until you get the hang of using them then both edges can be used well.
ncampbell2784

Grip Tape

Post by ncampbell2784 »

Agent Starling wrote:I love stainless. But for fun, I put a piece of grip tape on the clip of my Lava. It's clear so it doesn't show too much.

Agent Starling
Do you have a photo of the grip tape on your Lava ?
bladese97

Post by bladese97 »

:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder:I don't edc them, but if I do carry one, it's allways my Tasman Salt/pe :D
:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: "Spyderco...does a pocket good":spyder:
Spyderco Rocks!!!! "A wise man once said all knives were created equal...Obviously, he meant Spydercos''
As of 1-29-08, I am a proud member of Knife Rights!