Syderco Hobbit Warrior?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Lost Jaguar

Post by Lost Jaguar »

I just peed in my pants a little. Nothing serious.

Release date?

MSRP?

Sheath picture?
Prepare for Anything, Expect Nothing
Marion David Poff
Banned

Post by Marion David Poff »

In
The
Flesh.....

Mackerel Holy!
Marion David Poff
cougar337

Post by cougar337 »

Wow!! what a pleasant surprise! I'm in
- Ian
See pictures of my Spydies at Cougar337's Den[/size] :spyder:

Wire Clips and Little Big knives....keep 'em coming!
white cloud

Post by white cloud »

visualize traps from reverse grip. i need one of these.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Outstanding - I need to get some cash built up.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
HaroldB

Post by HaroldB »

WOW!

I'm a huge Tolkien fan, so a Hobbit that's made by Spyderco would be a MUST-HAVE :spyder:

Great going Sal :D
Mike Sastre

Post by Mike Sastre »

This Hobbit isn't a reference to Tolkien, it's to Bob Taylor, the original designer, who's well deserved nickname is "the Hobbit From ****".
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Tonie Nichols asked?
Given that it is going to be produced in a steel specifically for salt water corrosion resistance, would it be correct to assume that it's main application will be some sort of seaborne special forces?
Being rust free is only one of it's strengths. It's also tough stuff. Likely tougher than most stainless steels, but more corrosion resistant and maintenance free than most carbon/alloy steels. It's easy to sharpen, but also very wear resistant. The Jumpmaster is evidence of some of it's strengths besides just corrosion resistance.

Eric G. Stated about H1 in the jumpmaster:
Platinum Member

BTW - the serrated Jumpmaster outperformed any other blade we’ve tested in edge retention.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:43 PM
Platinum Member

Yes the blades were serrated. We believe the high performance is due to a few things. The bevel grind is straight at the edge with no curve and the bevel grind is high. With the combination of unique bevel grind, serrations, and steel, we believe this causes the blade to get work hardened more than most. We’ve also seen teeth on H1 bend before they break which shows how tough the steel can be. Add to the fact that it will never rust and this is truly a special piece.
Considering some of the truly "super" steels they have tested that is saying a lot. Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Well, being named after a Tolkien referenced nickname, is close enough and is just the icing on the cake anyway. The design looks completely practical; at the same it would be right at home in fantasy literature. This knife is too cool; I must have it.
sal

Post by sal »

The design was driven by Guy Rafaeli. He teaches the Israeli Navy Seals Martial Blade craft. He needed a knife design for their needs.

He worked on a design for quite a while and ended up with something he was pleased with. He thought that his design really looked similar to a previous design, which was the Echanis "Warrior" design.

Michael Echanis designed the original Warrior while he was working in South America. He send the original hand carved wooden model to Bob Taylor. Bob gave it to Al Mar to take to Seki for manufacture. Unfortunately, Echanis was killed before the model came out. (his plane mysteriously exploded in flight along with some government officials).

There have been a number of variations of the model over the years from a number of makers. We're currently working on the history. We'd like to provide a history of the design along with the model when it comes out.

Spyderco has been working on the design for a few years. Guy's requirement for 4mm thick H1 did take a while to develop. The design has been refined quite a bit and up alongside of the original Al Mar Warrior, one can see many differences. The full tang is skeletonized for balance and lighter weight.

Bob Taylor also made fixed and folding versions of the model as well. Bob used the name "Hobbit" but was asked by the owners of the name to not use the name.

We met with Guy Rafaeli in Germany at the IWA show and worked on sheath designs.

sal
Mike Sastre

Post by Mike Sastre »

Sal,

Let me know if you need any input on sheath design - done a BUNCH of Warriors, Hobbit Warriors, and Gaijin Warriors.
markg

Post by markg »

Alright enough chit chat... When does this come out!!! :)

Just kidding.

About the chit chat part at least.
Kev-Man

Post by Kev-Man »

Definetly a need to get knive. Has a nice belly to the shape.

Kev.
sal

Post by sal »

Mike Sastre wrote:Sal,

Let me know if you need any input on sheath design - done a BUNCH of Warriors, Hobbit Warriors, and Gaijin Warriors.
Hi Mike,

I'll take all of the input I can get. It has to have multiple mounting capability, belt, vest, leg, etc.

sal
mbhanzo

Post by mbhanzo »

I have one of the Al Mar Warriors myself and they are indeed very neat knives. If youre looking for sheath solutions and need any ideas I'd be more than happy to help Sal.. I can picture the sheath design in my mind but I'd love to get a knife in hand and have the chance to build some prototype sheaths for you... Mike
ChicagoRay

Post by ChicagoRay »

Hello,
I have a Hobbit Warrior with a Damascus blade.
Does anyone have any information on this knife?
How many were made, who made it, when it was made, etc.
Thanks,
Ray

THFH

Post by THFH »

ChicagoRay
Is the top guard marked with the Round Eye logo? If not then it’s circa 1995 and less than 25 were produced that year. The Damascus was made by Robert L Brothers one of the REKAT owners I hope this helps.

THFH
THFH

Post by THFH »

ChicagoRay

To be more exact

THFH
Attachments
damhob2.jpg
damhob2.jpg (46.63 KiB) Viewed 2663 times
ChicagoRay

Post by ChicagoRay »

THFH, thank you very much for the information.
There are no markings on the knife.
So I guess I have a fairly early version?
I bought the knife sometime in 1996-97?
Not that I will ever sell it, but what do you think it might be worth for insurance reasons?
I had a custom sheath made for it by Kenny Rowe (Rowe's Leather) out of Hope, Arkansas.
It is very beautiful with water buffalo inlay.
I will take a photo of it if anyone is interested.
Thanks again,
Ray
THFH

Post by THFH »

ChicagoRay
I have seen them sell for $600.00 on up for insurance $750.00. A plain jane Hobbit on Ebay usualy sells for $350.00. I do love Damascus, sorry I didn't keep one myself I have one around here that had Black-T over the Damascus which is very trippy like ebony wood. Enjoy it.

THFH