Syderco Hobbit Warrior?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
markg

Post by markg »

David Lowry wrote:
The Warrior design doesn't interest me. It would scare the living daylights out of anyone around that saw it. :eek:
I think that was partially intended... :D
EarthDog

Post by EarthDog »

David Lowry wrote:Can you tell me what the top knife is? It looks like the knife that is in the logo for Bladeforums.com.

How about any info on it?

Thanks! :)

-

The Warrior design doesn't interest me. It would scare the living daylights out of anyone around that saw it. :eek:
That appears to be an EDI Genesis. Here is a link with some info:

http://www.knifecenter.com/edi.html
EarthDog
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Use to own a Black bladed Al Mar Warrior. The design of the knife was pure self-defense using a reverse grip. Picked mine up in 95 after attending Riddle of Steel & learning a bit more about reverse grip techniques.

I'll always remember my 1st field problem in the Army as a Medic taking my Warrior along. Platoon Sgt. poked fun at me & the pommel jabbed the **** out of me while circling around in a Chinook. Promptly stowed it away in the Ruck while I used my Delica for every task I needed a knife for.

Always wished I had picked up a Hobbit though.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
bigkahunasix

Post by bigkahunasix »

Please Sal, PLEASE look into making a Spyderco version of the Pocket Hobbit in S30V with a compression lock and skeletonized liners. This would be the answer to many of my sharp edged dreams.

**Pretty Please**
Been packing at least two Spyderco knives a day since 1984

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Tonie Nichols

Post by Tonie Nichols »

sal wrote:The knife is a variation of the original Warrior design that has been re-designed by Guy Rafaeli for an Israeli Military group.

We are currently working on the sheath. The knife is H1, double edged.

sal
Sal,
Thank you so much for the information. I will be looking forward to it with great anticipation. :) You wouldn't happen to be free to share any more dimensional details would you Sir?

Given that it is going to be produced in a steel specifically for salt water corrosion resistance, would it be correct to assume that it's main application will be some sort of seaborne special forces?

Mike Sastre, Mr. Lowery
Many thanks for the pictures. I have one of the Al Mar Warrior black versions and a green titanium coated Hobbit Warrior along with it's metal loop style trainer.

I used to have one of the original series folding Hobbit as pictured by Mr. Lowery but sold it off to a friend when it developed blade play. I'm kind of picturing it in the size range of that other H1 fixed blade, the Aqua Salt.

Although it's primary application was in reverse grip I felt that it was a wickedly effective fighter in standard grip as well. As any MBC player familiar with reverse grip can imagine those saw teeth on the back give trapping a whole new dimension.

Did I understand correctly a couple of years ago when I heard that the saw teeth would be replaced with Spyderco serrations? If so, would there be a comparison to serrations being produced by Spyderco today, like say those of the Military or Endura?
Marion David Poff
Banned

Post by Marion David Poff »

Mike Sastre wrote:That's not the Hobbit Warrior - that is a Pocket Hobbit. How close to Bob Taylor's original is the re-design?
Right, you have it right.

I got confused with the names, good call.
Marion David Poff
bladese97

Post by bladese97 »

:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder:Now that is one Spyder I can't have(reason being...Double edged) :(
:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: "Spyderco...does a pocket good":spyder:
Spyderco Rocks!!!! "A wise man once said all knives were created equal...Obviously, he meant Spydercos''
As of 1-29-08, I am a proud member of Knife Rights!
sal

Post by sal »

The blade is abot 5", serrations on the spine are our normal serrations.

The original design was from Michael Echanis. He sent a hand carved wooden model to Bob Taylor. He passed before he could see the knife made. Bob Taylor was the driving force behind the design. Bob was instrumental in the Al Mar version as well as his own production.

While the Rafaeli version is different from the others and refined for his purpose, the genetics are obvious.

Chuck Karwan knew Echanis and worked with him. He has planned to write the history for us, but he too recently passed away. Good man.

I'll try to piece the history together before production.

I couldn't make a folding version without Bob Taylor's blessing, and we would more than likely do some mods.

sal
markg

Post by markg »

sal wrote:

Chuck Karwan knew Echanis and worked with him. He has planned to write the history for us, but he too recently passed away. Good man.

sal
I just saw that in a magazine the other day... Sad.

I really am looking forward to this knife, it is so going to rock!!! :D
Mike Sastre

Post by Mike Sastre »

Sal,

Will Guy have a prototype at SHOT? I'll be there this time.
girlyMANN

Post by girlyMANN »

If I got the story right, Al Mar has a hard time trying to source production within the States and finally found a Japanese concern which to do those incredible curves; production was rather short lived because there were cheaper duplicates coming out in direct competition to his more expensive Warrior.
This is a spectacular and complex combative knife, something only someone like Michael Echanis could have thought of. Figures!
I sure hope the Spyderco product would have a sheathing system that would be low profiled with multi-carry point attachments.
It would be a great surprise if multiple sheath and handle colors are planned.
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

I'll take a fixed blade version and a folder, if you make one!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Mike,

I have the first proto.

Hey Halfneck,

Didn't know you were a Riddler. good stuff.

sal
Mike Sastre

Post by Mike Sastre »

Sal,

See you at SHOT. Love to get a look!

Halfneck,

Good to see another Riddler here!!
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

sal wrote:Hi Mike,

I have the first proto.

Hey Halfneck,

Didn't know you were a Riddler. good stuff.

sal
Yup, attended in '95. Not only was the training great, but I met a lot of great people. In addition to Mr. Keating, I received some training from Kelly Worden while there. Greg Walker was great to talk to & gave me good advice about my Army career. His talks were also my inspiration to get a Al Mar Warrior. Laci Szabo was there as a student (a very talented student) and was just breaking into the knife industry. Jerry VanCook was also there, but I did not get to talk to him much.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
Mike Sastre

Post by Mike Sastre »

Halfneck,

Must've just missed each other. First trip to the Canyon was '96 or '97 after doing several Southern Riddles in Little Rock and New Orleans. Riddles are always special - the training's a given, but the people involved help make the atmosphere. Excellent give and take! Kelly Worden will be holding the first "Water and Steel East" in VA Beach Jan 10-11, and bringing Gary O'Neal with him. Email or PM me for info. Incredibly affordable and not to be missed!
anson argyris

Post by anson argyris »

This is what I found on the 'Professionalsoldiers'-Forum, posted by a certain TazKristi:
Netsquash

Post by Netsquash »

Holy crap! I could totally use one of those!
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

anson argyris wrote:This is what I found on the 'Professionalsoldiers'-Forum, posted by a certain TazKristi:
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
I'm gonna have to save up for this one...
—Daniel Jackson
markg

Post by markg »

I'm in!!!