Best Rear-Pocket Knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Firefighter880

Best Rear-Pocket Knife?

Post by Firefighter880 »

Hey Everyone,

Here's a question for you all......

Who here edc's a Spyderco in their rear pocket, and which Spyderco is it?

I'm in one of those moods again where I feel like it's time to change things up, so I need a new blade to carry in my weak-side rear-pocket. Strong-side front-pocket always holds a some sort of "utility blade" ranging from a Manix, Mili, SMF, SnG, XM-18, CQC-15, or something similar, but now I need to pair it with something in my rear pocket....

Right now, I'm leaning towards a SE Delica 4 or a SE Tasman Salt (Black Handle).

The Tasman offers the hawkbill which is great for seatbelts, rope, and the like, but the Delica offers a more standard utilitarian blade if I need a second, smaller blade......

What are your opinions?

Thanks!!!

:spyder:
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

[CENTER]"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear." [/CENTER]

Current Spyders: Civilian, Matriarch, Endura 3 CE, Endura 4 CE, Endura 4 SE, SS Endura 4 SE, Lava, Manix CE

Spyders of the Past: ATR, BlackHawk, Bob Lum Tanto, Chinook 3, Dodo, Gunting, Karambit, Lil Temp, Manix PE, Para Mili, Ronin, Yojimbo, Mili, Native
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

when i have carried a :spyder: in my back pocket it has come out getting in and out of cars, sitting in chairs etc..so i dont carry one in there anymore. just to easy to lose fo me...sorry i cant help ya on this one.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

All my main EDC's get carried in my RBP. Usually it is a Large Persian, Delica 4, or Caly 3. I pair it up with a Ladybug SE on my belt clip and a Kopa in pocket.
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
PSU

Go for the Tasman

Post by PSU »

I often toss a clipless Tasman into my back pocket. Its thin profile and light weight make it barely noticeable. Plus, I find that its hawkbill blade is usually a nice complement to whatever else I am carrying at the time, typically a leaf-shaped blade (Chinese Lum, UKPK, Lil Temp, etc.)
People say, oh it's dangerous to keep weapons in the home, or the workplace. Well I say, it's better to be hurt by someone you know, accidentally, than by a stranger, on purpose. - Dwight The Office

It's okay for me to talk about my job, as long as I'm not specific. I am the Sergeant of a three-man Rapid Tactical Force at one of America's largest indoor retail shopping areas. - Gecko_45

The more you learn about knives, the better Spyderco looks. - Sal
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

I typically carry my Delica 4 Black FRN SE in my LBP. If not that then my Caly3 G-10 SE. I've also carried my UK Pen Knife there as well. When wearing my BDUs, I'll keep my larger :spyder: s there, such as the Military PE, Manix PE, Para-Military PE, or Chinook 3 PE.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

My S90V Military has been my back pocket knife for a while now. It replaced the BGCF Military that rode there for quite a while.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
catamount

Post by catamount »

I carry a Tasman sans clip in my rear pocket, and hardly know it's there until I need it.
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
carrot

Post by carrot »

I found the Para or Millie work great in the back pocket.
Latest :spyder: -- Blurple Para2
nuubee

which Tasman?

Post by nuubee »

Catamount,
Do you carry a PE or SE Tasman, and why? Do you generally carry anything else in addition to it? I only carry one at a time (in addition to my keychain Ladybug), and have not yet bought either an SE, or a hawkbill. Being a dealer, I assume that you get to handle oodles of options.

Is this considered hijacking a thread? If so, please delete with my apologies.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I carry a Waved Endura in my back left pocket...Demand my wallet and see what you get :eek: ......PERFECT!!!!....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Piercieve

Post by Piercieve »

A CLB Subclaw would be perfect for you, I think... And it can be waved open as it's pulled out, if thats what you're into. I carry a Subcom in my back pocket regularly.
"I ain't looking for confusion, but it tends to follow me."

E4 white, E4 waved SE, Caspian Salt, Crossbill, Mule, white Dragonfly, Boker CLB Desert Subcom, BM Blackwood mini Skirmish,
Piercieve

Post by Piercieve »

And Doc, I would be surprised if the person mugging you wasn't already goners by the time he got to that step.
"I ain't looking for confusion, but it tends to follow me."

E4 white, E4 waved SE, Caspian Salt, Crossbill, Mule, white Dragonfly, Boker CLB Desert Subcom, BM Blackwood mini Skirmish,
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Not a fan of clipped carry, so my primary folder is always carried in my back pocket. For the past few years, with few exceptions, that folder has either been a customized Stretch or a customized C83 Schempp Persian. Since its introduction, a Stretch II has also been in the rotation. Others that have ridden, and in some cases still occasionally ride, there are the Native, Calypso Jr. and Caly 3.

Carry a Kiwi in my watch pocket for light work and those occasions where PC is a survival skill.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
robin

Post by robin »

I did loose all sort of knife (ieg: two Gerbers Ezout, one Coold Steel, one swiss army) wearing them in the rear right pocket. But cause it is the best place to have a spare blade then I tried the Robin FRN. 8 moth later is still there due to the (very) stable clip and the very (effective) grip of frn. So I'll stick with that also because if I loose it is an affordable replace
Billy

Post by Billy »

Firefighter880 wrote:The Tasman offers the hawkbill which is great for seatbelts, rope, and the like, but the Delica offers a more standard utilitarian blade if I need a second, smaller blade......

What are your opinions?

Thanks!!!

:spyder:
My opinion is get and carry both a D4 and a Tasman! My daily EDC typically goes something like this - FRP = med to lg folder (Millie, Big Persian, E4 or Kris), IWB = SE hawkie (Tasman or Harpy), BRP sm to med folder (D4W, E4W, Sm Persian, Caly 3, Lava, Subclaw, Wharcom, etc.)

I sit on my butt most of the day, so a smaller folder in the back pocket is a bit more comfortable than a large one. I also like having it clipped so I'm not sitting on it. I like having the hawkbill IWB as it does not take up any pocket space, but is still readily available if I need it quick. Most weeks, the FRP knife is the primary blade with the smaller knife carried BRP as a backup or if I find myself in a situation where a more NKP-friendly blade is more appropriate. Of course, sometimes, the smaller blade is the primary and the larger one is the backup if I find I need a longer blade for food prep, heavier chores, etc. :rolleyes:

I have also found that the waved models ride best in the rear pocket and deploy quickly and reliably from that carry for me. Also FWIW I carry my wallet in my front left pocket.
I prefer to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
I LOVE MY MILLIES
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Slick

Post by Slick »

tonydahose wrote:when i have carried a :spyder: in my back pocket it has come out getting in and out of cars, sitting in chairs etc..so i dont carry one in there anymore. just to easy to lose fo me...sorry i cant help ya on this one.
I hear you. I can not keep a rear pocket knife for long. I don't lose them but they come up missing and I find them where they fell/were pulled/were snagged out.

Something CLB should be worth a try for back pocket carry. I've never had any of his and this would be the be the perfect reason to check one out.

I will :) :)
Not really all that slick ;)
catamount

Post by catamount »

nuubee wrote:Catamount,
Do you carry a PE or SE Tasman, and why? Do you generally carry anything else in addition to it?
Yellow PE. I have an SE, but I like to make nice clean cuts, and the the PE just works better for me.

I generally carry 3-5 additional :spyder: s (including 1 SE).
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
gordonk

Post by gordonk »

Recently, I've been carrying one of my Enduras or Pacific Salt SE when I do need to carry a larger folder in LBP. I normally carry my smaller folders either loose or clipped to my front pockets.
wescobts

Post by wescobts »

Sorry I don't carry a :spyder: back there, it would only get in the way of my bosses foot !! :eek: he is such a pain in the ***. :D
learning it the hard way... :rolleyes:
Billy

Post by Billy »

wescobts wrote:Sorry I don't carry a :spyder: back there, it would only get in the way of my bosses foot !! :eek: he is such a pain in the ***. :D
This made me laugh! :D
I prefer to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
I LOVE MY MILLIES
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ