Is it just me?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ratman57

Is it just me?

Post by ratman57 »

I'm pretty new to Spyerderville. I have 4 now. 2 Byrds and 2 Round holes, a CPMS30 Native and an AUS8 Dragon Fly.

I like the Byrds better. I prefer to carry a small knife so it's the Robin or the Dragon Fly that I carry.

I tried very hard to like the Dragon Fly. It looks better, it's a Spyderco and it's got a round hole. But I like the steel, the liners, and the heft of the Byrd better. I just put the Dragon Fly in the drawer.

I'm so ashamed. Does anyone else prefer the Byrds?
Stasis

Post by Stasis »

I think it's probably just the ones you have. Nothing wrong with preferring the feel of the Byrds, but I'm also sure there's one or two Spyderco-branded models you would be very happy with. ;)
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Try out a G10 Spydie like a Paramilitary and then get back to us. :)

I think it's just you.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
zozo

Post by zozo »

I'm with you with regard to the Robin. That's a sweet little knife--for the price, utility, and overall quality, I don't know that there's a better deal.

I've picked up a handful of Byrds and liked them a lot. However, I've picked up a few Spyderco knives and liked them a whole lot. Apples to apples, excluding the Robin which really is a sweet little knife, the Spyderco knives are generally better. They're not the value per dollar deal the Byrds are--i.e., they just aren't upwards of 6 times better--but they are nicer. The steels are better, the finish is finer, they just feel better. Play with a Caly3 some time and you'll see what I mean.

I love them both. I buy the Byrds to play with for a while, and there is no better beater knife for the yard than a Cara Cara, but I've given half of them away to friends/family to introduce them to good knives. I don't see myself giving away any of my Spyderco knives in the foreseeable future.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Hopefully, it's not just you. After all, if everyone preferred Sypdercos over Byrds, Sal would be stuck with a lot of inventory. The Byrd line of knives offer decent quality and good value for their prices and, for some people, "good enough" is good enough. On the other hand, I'm assuming the Dragonfly you're speaking of is the FRN version which is the only model remaining in the Spyderco lineup that has a built in FRN clip, and an older one at that. I think you might notice more difference between a Byrd and one the more "evolved" Spyderco models. But even then it depends on what matters most to you, a Byrd may still be "good enough" for you. That's why they exist.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Ratman,

As Deacon mentioned, the D'fly is long overdue for an upgrade.

We have a D'fly2 in-the-works. The design (pattern) is basically the same, but the new "first" variation will be a G-10 version with full sekeletonized liners. Once we get feedback from our customers on the G-10 version, we'll develop the new Dragonfly2 in FRN.

Byrd brand in generral will undergo a number of "design upgrades" over the next 2 years as we refine the line and settle in on "regular" designs. Then we'll play with new designs (ball locks, etc).

sal
SimpleIsGood229

Post by SimpleIsGood229 »

A G-10 D'Fly?! Sal, are you trying to suck the cash from my wallet? :D
God Bless Texas!
[RIGHT]Avatar courtesy of Dialex[/RIGHT]
Μολὼν λαβέ

2009 - Birth of the H-1 Spyderhawk! Thank you, Sal!
Sam Vimes

Post by Sam Vimes »

I love my only Byrd knife, a G-10 Meadowlark, but I suspect that I'd love a G-10 Dragonfly even more! ;) :D Any rough timescales on it's appearance? Should I be counting days, weeks, months or years? ;) :) :D
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

sal wrote: We have a D'fly2 in-the-works. The design (pattern) is basically the same, but the new "first" variation will be a G-10 version with full sekeletonized liners.
Is it here yet???? :D

How about now???? :D :D :D

Ken
玉鋼
jimbo@stn24

Post by jimbo@stn24 »

Welcome Ratman. Perhaps as you get some mileage with various Spyderco offerings your view may have a different perspective. Nothing wrong with liking the Byrds, but maybe a mini Persian will be of the size you like and provide the heft or solid feel you prefer.
WTC #1455
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

Your not alone actually... Of the two I like the Robin better... Thats why I created my own G-10 Dragonfly, so I could still have the great steel of a spyderco, but have some more heft and such...
Brad Southard

Southard Knives

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men," Colossians 3:23
mystikessence
Location: USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe

Post by mystikessence »

sal wrote:Hi Ratman,

As Deacon mentioned, the D'fly is long overdue for an upgrade.

We have a D'fly2 in-the-works. The design (pattern) is basically the same, but the new "first" variation will be a G-10 version with full sekeletonized liners. Once we get feedback from our customers on the G-10 version, we'll develop the new Dragonfly2 in FRN.

Byrd brand in generral will undergo a number of "design upgrades" over the next 2 years as we refine the line and settle in on "regular" designs. Then we'll play with new designs (ball locks, etc).

sal
I love the Byrd line. A ball lock on a Byrd? I am totally interested in that. High value at an affordable price. You can't beat that.
:spyder: Those Who Know Carry Spyderco :spyder:
Left Hand Path

Post by Left Hand Path »

sal wrote: We have a D'fly2 in-the-works. The design (pattern) is basically the same, but the new "first" variation will be a G-10 version with full sekeletonized liners. Once we get feedback from our customers on the G-10 version, we'll develop the new Dragonfly2 in FRN.
Hey sal - have you considered making the handle a little more substantial? The D-fly blade and finger-choil are excellent, but I think the handle is a little thin where the middle & ring fingers grip.
-Nick

Join Today!
http://www.KnifeRights.org
cmassicotte

Post by cmassicotte »

SimpleIsGood229 wrote:A G-10 D'Fly?! Sal, are you trying to suck the cash from my wallet? :D
In my case Sal doesn't even have to try...

It just happens. :D

Chuck
There is no right way to do a wrong thing