T-mag conversion?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

Oooh, I just got an idea for a lock that could keep the origional scales and maybe the magnet while still being completely ambidextrous!

I'll take some time to draw this up, but it sounds promising in my mind :p
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

cobrajoe wrote:Oooh, I just got an idea for a lock that could keep the origional scales and maybe the magnet while still being completely ambidextrous!

I'll take some time to draw this up, but it sounds promising in my mind :p
Well, not to quote myself, but I can't really come up with anything that doesn't involve huge modification to the blade tang, precision machined parts, or questionable lock up.

I might have better luck coming up with something when I finally get it in my hands, but so far, everything I can think of is rather unfeasible.
spydercofanatic

Post by spydercofanatic »

Aight. Yall get together figure it out PM me and I'm in for a conversion. Just let me know when and where.
:spyder::spyder:If its not Spyderco its CRAP!!!!!!!!:spyder::spyder:
feeny

Post by feeny »

They open so **** nicely the t-mags. IMHO the sweetest opening around.
Just a shame they dont stay open as nice...
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Just tested my CC#d one. Assuming nothing changed on the later ones, the magnet's poles are the top and bottom surface of the bar. IF someone can find a source for 1/4" X 1/4" X 1/2" N52 Neodymium magnets with the poles at the ends, replacing it might at least be worth a try. I have never had mine apart, and don't to, but it would seem to me there would have be at least a small air gap between the magnet and the "top" surface of the pivot portion of the tang. So, even though you'd loose surface area, you gain direct contact which might increase "grab".

Or am I screwing up my physics royally? Been so many years since 11th grade.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Razors84

Post by Razors84 »

The Deacon wrote:Just tested my CC#d one. Assuming nothing changed on the later ones, the magnet's poles are the top and bottom surface of the bar. IF someone can find a source for 1/4" X 1/4" X 1/2" N52 Neodymium magnets with the poles at the ends, replacing it might at least be worth a try. I have never had mine apart, and don't to, but it would seem to me there would have be at least a small air gap between the magnet and the "top" surface of the pivot portion of the tang. So, even though you'd loose surface area, you gain direct contact which might increase "grab".

Or am I screwing up my physics royally? Been so many years since 11th grade.
What about putting two of these in?

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.a ... B444%2DN52

Since they are cubes you could stack them where they would have the polarity on the ends and be 1/2" long. I would be interested to see someone try it out.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

Razors84 wrote:What about putting two of these in?

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.a ... B444%2DN52

Since they are cubes you could stack them where they would have the polarity on the ends and be 1/2" long. I would be interested to see someone try it out.
ill try it out..we just have to figure how the old magnet off...just a pair of pliers and twist/pull it off? i am guessing some epoxy for the new ones would work...any other ideas. is there anybody on here that can figure out the gauss of the magnet on there now. one more concern i have is if this did work would it give you a false sense of security and then you would forget to use the finger choil and then whoops
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
ClockWork

well....

Post by ClockWork »

I just asked another prominent Pimmper over on USN...

He has the same responce of "not enough tang" to be able to do anything with it.
:(

So... no lock

-CloCk
:(
:) Favorites: Black Paramil w/ D2 blade, PE Mini-Manix, S90v Military, Civilian, SE Dodo, PE Police, Sage

Vist my eBay store: Life and Liberty Gear
Tactical & MOLLE gear, Headgear and more

stores.ebay.com/Life-and-Liberty-Gear
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

3. Install a second N52 magnet in/on the blade so that the two magnets attract
Thats an idea.You could drill a hole in the tang or just do a cut out for another magnet.I am guessing that by adding a strong magnet in the blade to match up to the one in the scales it would increase the hold open factor by alot.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
spydercofanatic

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.a ... 52&cat=168

How bout 2 of these stuck side by side?? N52 strength only $0.62 a piece :D
spydercofanatic

Well ifin yall aint gunna try nothing I WILL just ordered my 2 N52 magnets with a total pull of a little over 24 LBs and will keep yall posted on my findings and if it works LINE UP lol :D
ClockWork

Post by ClockWork »

spydercofanatic wrote:....I WILL just ordered my 2 N52 magnets with a total pull of a little over 24 LBs and will keep yall posted on my findings and if it works LINE UP lol :D

Sweet..

I'm interested to see how this turns out.
_clOck
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

tonydahose wrote:ill try it out..we just have to figure how the old magnet off...just a pair of pliers and twist/pull it off? i am guessing some epoxy for the new ones would work...any other ideas. is there anybody on here that can figure out the gauss of the magnet on there now. one more concern i have is if this did work would it give you a false sense of security and then you would forget to use the finger choil and then whoops
Have to admit, based on your photos I was assuming the magnet was just a friction fit in cutouts on both liners.

However, my gut feeling says, if there was a "better" magnet for the job, Sal would have found it to begin with, or upgraded to it after the T-Mag started getting dinged for closing if you looked at it crooked. Ditto on the idea of drilling the tang and installing another magnet there.

Which leads me to believe that of all the "Plan B" suggestions mentioned so far, the most practical one is conversion to a fixed blade. Remove the magnet, consrtuct a spacer that would fill the entire frame, skeletonize it if weight is an issue. If there was interest, someone with the right equipment could probably make up a bunch of those.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
spydercofanatic

One other thing comes to mind Decon, Mr. Sal also has to keep cost down a little bit. The knife was already at a MSRP of $250 so a stronger magnet costs more. Not saying that the knife is cheap by NO means just keeping the knife from $300 and up. The down side to a stronger magnet that I will be trying to use is that there will be 24lbs holding it open A N D 24lbs fightin me when I close it. I hope to not report my findings with 9 fingers LOL. :D
carrot

Post by carrot »

Well I just got my T-Mags and I have to say this has become one of my favorite Spydercos! Extremely underrated and who needs the lock? This is a great knife as-is and an excellent slicer. It's also incredibly fun to play with, and the "snick" sound it makes when the magnet contacts the tang is very pleasing.
Latest :spyder: -- Blurple Para2
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

spydercofanatic wrote:http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.a ... 52&cat=168

How bout 2 of these stuck side by side?? N52 strength only $0.62 a piece :D
Magnet is wrong polarity. The N/S pole are facing either side of handle scale so you'll only have weak side attraction to the blade.
drfish

Post by drfish »

jzmtl wrote:Magnet is wrong polarity. The N/S pole are facing either side of handle scale so you'll only have weak side attraction to the blade.
The magnet in the T-Mag appears to be approx 1/4x1/4x1/2 (or near enough), and is magnetized thru thickness. (spine to edge of blade direction).

The magnets in from KJ should work if stacked.

I have my doubts as to whether this will be enough of a difference in feel to make it worth while to most people. The knife is a heck of a long lever arm, and from my investigation, the magnet in there is already pretty **** strong.

The blade is thick enough to support a small 1/8 cube magnet if a slot is ground out for it. That might help the feel in that the lock will then be asymmetric. (i.e., it'll stick open harder than it'll stick closed).
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

I think that two 1/4 inch cube magnets should take the place of the one in the knife, and if you do this, you can align the poles in whichever direction you'd like.