question: model comparison Police vs Endura

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dete

question: model comparison Police vs Endura

Post by dete »

for the people that have the Police and the Endura, just how different do they feel? which do you prefer and why? What are the advantages/disadvantages of each one? :)
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I don't have a stainless handle Endura, so comparing a G-10 E4 to a G-10 flat grind Police is about as apples-to-apples as I can get. In spite of being noticeably longer, the Police is a bit lighter (single liner as opposed to two liners on the E4) and a bit slimmer, but they feel very similar in hand. For me, the big advantage the Endura has over the Police is I can't get arrested for carrying it (we have a four inch legal limit here in Kansas, and the Police is over that.)
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
JediKnight86

Post by JediKnight86 »

dete wrote:for the people that have the Police and the Endura, just how different do they feel? which do you prefer and why? What are the advantages/disadvantages of each one? :)
I have a SS Endura and SS Police. The Police feels thinner and certainly is longer and pointier. Its a great blade! Another good comparison would be the G10 Police against the G10 Endura. They're both awesome!
Hi my name is Alex and I'm a Spyderholic :D
dete

Post by dete »

thanks gentlemen,

thinner and longer blade is pretty cool, but I do like the legal aspects of the endura.
JaM

Post by JaM »

Anyone got pictures ? Because rumours say that pictures are more worth than, well, several posts on a forum nowadays. :)

So yes, I too am interested in the difference.
Left Hand Path

Post by Left Hand Path »

Both are bigger knives than I generally carry, but one thing that I like about the Police (the old one - not sure if this is true on the new one) is that the tip of the blade is totally covered by the handle when closed.
I also like the swedge grind and the overall long/sleek profile of the Police.
-Nick

Join Today!
http://www.KnifeRights.org
SimpleIsGood229

Post by SimpleIsGood229 »

Here are some nice pics for ya.
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34681
yablanowitz wrote:. . .In spite of being noticeably longer, the Police is a bit lighter (single liner as opposed to two liners on the E4). . .
The Police 3 has double liners and a 4-way clip. Perhaps you were thinking of the Millie?
God Bless Texas!
[RIGHT]Avatar courtesy of Dialex[/RIGHT]
Μολὼν λαβέ

2009 - Birth of the H-1 Spyderhawk! Thank you, Sal!
gordonk

Post by gordonk »

Left Hand Path wrote:Both are bigger knives than I generally carry, but one thing that I like about the Police (the old one - not sure if this is true on the new one) is that the tip of the blade is totally covered by the handle when closed.
I also like the swedge grind and the overall long/sleek profile of the Police.
Yes, the tip's covered :)

I don't have the the G-10/E4, just the FRN one in CE. My Police 3 is an SE one and I just ordered an E4/SE/FRN (ordered an Altantic Salt/SE too:-)) I was really thinking about whether or not I could personally justify the extra expense of the G-10 one despite the fact that the G-10 E4 is flat ground to boot :) The thing I found with my new Police is it handles "faster", for lack of a better term - due to the finger choil. It's balance is very neutral :) Even compared to my SS Police. What I do like about the E4 is that I can open and start cutting. With the Police, I have to open, slide forward a bit for choil and then cut. I haven't used my Police for an extended period of time cutting, so I'm not sure about whether my hand would cramp due to the thinness of the handle - I prefer the Endura in that regard. Despite the fact I don't need super pointy all that often, I do like the point on the new Police - good reason to own both :rolleyes:

They each are great knives, in any event :D
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

SimpleIsGood229 wrote:Here are some nice pics for ya.
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34681

The Police 3 has double liners and a 4-way clip. Perhaps you were thinking of the Millie?
No, I was thinking of my ATS-55 flat grind G-10 Police that pre-dates the Police3 by several years. The black one in this picture:
Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray »

Well now ... two of my most favorite Spydie models .. :spyder:

Over the years, I've ended up collecting more Police Knives and carrying more Enduras for multiple reasons. The Police Knife is a classic. In SS form there is none thinner and longer. Great package that feels natural in your pocket. The Endura, on the other hand, is likely my most carried Spydie model. The combination of steel, variations, and price point have me reaching for it frequently. I've got 2 Enduras and 1 Police Knife in my EDC rotation these days. Here they are: Black Blade Endura, Red / Black cross hatched Gen 1 Endura, Tuffram Police Knife. Great knives. :D
Steve
SimpleIsGood229

Gotcha, Yab. I forgot about the old G-10 Police. Nice spydies, by the way. :)
God Bless Texas!
Μολὼν λαβέ

yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Thank you. It's kind of wierd, really. I don't like metal handles and I can't legally carry a Police model here due to blade length restrictions, but I have five of them. Does this mean I have a problem? :D
dete

Post by dete »

thank you again gentlemen,

I use to think metal handles were bad, but recently been thinking, if they put in enough effort to make it not slip, or you can get it designed on :)
it's not bad at all. Actually kinda cool.

The Police model seems like it would make a nice rival to anyone that is thinking of the Cold Steel Ti-lite.

maybe they can make the Police in a gun metal blue color.
*evil grin*
SimpleIsGood229

yablanowitz wrote:Thank you. It's kind of wierd, really. I don't like metal handles and I can't legally carry a Police model here due to blade length restrictions, but I have five of them. Does this mean I have a problem? :D
We won't even start talking until you have as many Polices as Tony does Enduras. :D :p
God Bless Texas!
Μολὼν λαβέ

kankryb

Post by kankryb »

One of my EDC is the Endura and has been for 15 years but for SD I´ll take my Police any day.