Kiwi or Kopa?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Kiwi or Kopa?

Poll ended at Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:17 pm

Kiwi
48%
Kopa
52%

Total votes: 52

whkento

Post by whkento »

Well, although I don't own either, I voted for the Kiwi. I do intend to buy one as soon as my wife is over the shock of my most recent knife purchases...

The Seki city festival and Mule 2 release were just one week apart. :cool:
JediKnight86

Post by JediKnight86 »

This is obviously a case of which one to get first if you can't get both, becuase eventually you will have both, and then multiple copies of both. I know I will! The carbon fiber Kiwi that I have is killer, but now I have do decide which Kopa. I'm thinking 3 flavors...
Hi my name is Alex and I'm a Spyderholic :D
lycanthought

Post by lycanthought »

Kopa. I have both and the Kopa is a real knife, whereas the Kiwi is a miniature knife. That flat grind and MUCH better ergonomics make the difference, nothing at all to do with the clip (I've taken it off my Kopa anyway). Incidentally, my only Kopa is missing at the moment (tiger coral and I can't find another :( ) and I don't have another knife that could possibly replace it. it is quite simply the finest small pocket knife I've ever had.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

lycanthought wrote:Kopa. I have both and the Kopa is a real knife, whereas the Kiwi is a miniature knife.
Everyone, of course, is entitled to their own opinion as to where "real knives" end and "miniature knives" begin. However, in the interest of fairness, I felt a couple of comparison photos were in order so folks can see the size difference between the two and judge for themselves...

[CENTER]Image

[/CENTER]
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Great illustration Paul,

From Paul's comparison shots above we can all see that there is negligible difference between the two when comparing blade length and handle length. The major difference is in the blade shape and also the 'fatness' of the blade and handle.
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
bh49

Post by bh49 »

datan wrote:Great illustration Paul,

From Paul's comparison shots above we can all see that there is negligible difference between the two
Come on Dan,
Kopa is much much bigger :D :D :D (blade is 1/16" longer as well :D :D, I didn't measured, this is per Spyderco web site, you have to have good eyes to see that)
datan wrote: The major difference is in the blade shape and also the 'fatness' of the blade and handle.
Are you calling my Kopas (and yours as well) fat? :D :D :D :D
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
lycanthought

Post by lycanthought »

The Deacon wrote:Everyone, of course, is entitled to their own opinion as to where "real knives" end and "miniature knives" begin. However, in the interest of fairness, I felt a couple of comparison photos were in order so folks can see the size difference between the two and judge for themselves...

[CENTER]Image

[/CENTER]
Either they've change the grind on the Kiwi or you've had that one modified (I think it's probably the latter). The curved blade edge on the Kopa actually gives it far more usable blade length than the Kiwi - in hand it also feels very, very different - the kiwi is great for fine work - as a replacement craft knife, whereas the Kopa holds like a much larger knife due to the excellent choil which changes it from having a 3.5" handle to a 4.25" one. This is probably the most useful sized knife to have one, you sacrifice blade length but gain a large degree of control. I have also found that rounding off the sharp corner above the hole greatly improves the versatility of the grip.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

To me, the Kopa is the better cutter and has better ergos. Yet, the Kiwi isn't all too bad either. I carry a Kopamost of the time around the office but when I don't feel like showing a clip I reach for my Kiwi.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

lycanthought wrote:Either they've change the grind on the Kiwi or you've had that one modified (I think it's probably the latter).
Ah, you noticed. :D That particular Kiwi was given the full flat grind treatment by Tom Krein. Talk about a "scary sharp" little pocket scalpel.

I do agree with you regarding the sharp "point" at the top of the Kopa's ramp. One of these days I will get around to rounding it off a bit on my two user Kopas. Had the same issue with the Calypso Jr, and a bit of filework there definitely helped.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

I voted you should get a Kiwi. In fact all of you should focus on Kiwis, and only buy just enough Kopas to keep the line in the black.
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

Kiwi. If you can, handle both and then decide... For me, the kiwi felt better.
robin

Post by robin »

For me I went for the jigged bone's kiwi. I realized I have pleny leafe shape short knifes and none wharncliff one. But this was not the main factor. Holding a kiwi I realized that, althought it looks like an undangerous pen kinfe, it is not. Tips is shaped for an easy penetration, wharncliff blade may tour in a good sd blade, the double finger coil make it virtually impossible to loose it. I definitly like itfor every day use, and also in emergency.
spydermonkey

Voted Kiwi - CF

Post by spydermonkey »

I want to like the Kopa, but it may be the only Spydie that just doesn't feel comfortable in my hand. For some reason, I have a harder time opening it w/ one hand - something about the form factor and my particular hand "geometry," i guess. Now don't get me wrong - I'm not insulting the Kopa - it's a beautiful knife. Maybe it's just not for me... The Kiwi, on the other hand, is my perfect EDC dress knife. Well, at least until I get home from work ... at which point I trade it out for the Stretch 2. :D