Which Caly3?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JediKnight86

Which Caly3?

Post by JediKnight86 »

I'm getting a Caly3. I love the grip of G10 and VG10 is no worse than ZDP189 IMO. I also love the feel of the carbon fiber on the new Kiwi and I'm assuming the "buffed" cf on the Caly3 is similar. So which do I get? Don't say both :rolleyes:
Hi my name is Alex and I'm a Spyderholic :D
THG

Post by THG »

I'd get the G10/VG-10, but then again, price is a big issue with me... I find VG-10 to be a good steel, and from what I hear, the ZDP Caly3's CF scales are rather slick.
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Caly III G10 with VG10 blade is one of the best around for its price point. VG10 is easy to maintain and is a nice slicer. G10 handles is plenty grippy.

If you want a 'dressier' knife then you may splurge a bit more for the CF handled ZDP bladed Caly III.

IMHO the G10/ VG10 one is every bit as good :D And if you like it that much that you want to 'upgrade' later then you may do so. However, I will say save on your money now and get the VG10 version first. You won't regret it... I certainly didn't :D

Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
sixheads

Post by sixheads »

Go with the VG-10. I have a Caly jr zdp and diss like the steel. Just my 2 cents.
JediKnight86

Post by JediKnight86 »

I wish I could compare in hand side by side! Eventually I'll probably have both so I guess the question is which to start with. I am leaning toward the G10 but I'm afraid if I wait too long the CF will be out of production.
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

i dont carry either one but if i were too, it would be the Carbon Fiber one for sure!!!!! its much nicer on your hands, plus the ZDP is much better then the VG-10, if you buy a vg-10 G10 Caly youll eventually buy a CF ZDP-189 this is a fact.
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Agree with Riot on that point. Whilst the Caly III was unofficially voted the knife of the year 2007, still some people don't like it as much as others. So the suggestion to go buy a 'lower end' model (which I do not think it is) rather than getting the CF/ ZDP one is probably the most prudent way to go if you are undecided or can't afford to get both immediately.

I bought the G10/VG10 one a while ago and have loved it ever since. A few months ago I got the CF/ZDP189 version because I wanted it and thought I needed it. However I have still to use it. The VG10 version is just that good ! However, I do have an arsenal of users which take up the brunt of my EDC requirements and thus the reason of my not cracking the CF/ZDP version open as yet. Others may want to or need to crack it open sooner.

The CF is indeed much smoother and has a higher 'bling' factor than the everyday G10 version. Either way the low riding wireclip does tend to make the Caly III melt away into your clothing which in most cases is a good thing.

Good luck making a decision. I still say go for the VG10 one first.
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
sixheads

Post by sixheads »

I must disagree with Riot , i have the vg-10 and will not by the zdp. thats silly.

Sixheads
vivi

Post by vivi »

The ZDP / CF version is worth it if you don't mind the price. The design of the handle gives enough grip that the lack of texture on the scales isn't an issue. The ZDP189 blade steel is very nice, sharpens easily with very little burring and holds an edge better than VG10. It's my favorite steel.
:unicorn
JediKnight86

Post by JediKnight86 »

Vivi wrote:The ZDP / CF version is worth it if you don't mind the price. The design of the handle gives enough grip that the lack of texture on the scales isn't an issue. The ZDP189 blade steel is very nice, sharpens easily with very little burring and holds an edge better than VG10. It's my favorite steel.
Seems to be disparity between the VG10 and ZDP189 for some of you. I love VG10. My ZDP189 Delica is OK; not as sharp out of the box as I thought it should be. But a touchup on the Sharpmaker helped. Somehow got rust spots on it in a very dry environment. My ZDP189 Jess Horn is the sharpest knife I own, but it doesn't get used for any hard cutting and I've never sharpened it. So I guess I can't say much about ZDP189.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I've been impressed with the stability of ZDP at very acute edges. THIS is what my Caly JR in ZDP looks like. It's been stable ever since I applied a microbevel like in the photo. I've noticed extremely little burring when sharpening, which in my experience makes achieving extremely sharp edges much easier. Getting my Caly Jr to whittle hair is a joke it's so easy.

Only corrosion I've seen has been some surface rust from sweat exposure. It was small and rubbed off with my thumb and from using the knife. None of it has lasted.

Edge retention has been above VG10 and S30V for me.

The steel doesn't seem to perform as good at thick edges. It might just be I have difficulty sharpening at obtuse angles but neither the Caly or my ZDP Endura were nearly as easy to sharpen with their thick factory edges. I've noticed with the high wear resistant steels like S30V and ZDP189 that people often describe as difficult to sharpen that at thick edge angles they take a long time to sharpen compared to softer, less wear resistant steels. However using the thin edges I do they literally take 2 passes per side of a fine stone to be sharp again. Here's my Paramilitary and UKPK. Maybe that's one of the reasons I like them so much when others are happier with VG10. If I left the grind of my Endura the way it came from factory I'd probably appreciate the high grindability of VG10 compared to ZDP189 more.
:unicorn
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'd pretty much agree with Daniel and Vivi. Unless you prefer the look of CF and/or the "hamon" effect of the laminated blade, and are willing to spend addtional money (or a lot of time) thinning down the blade, the VG-10 version is the logical and cost effective choice. The CF may not reduce you ability to grip the knife securely, but it does not improve it either. ZDP does hold an edge longer, but, at least in the factory configuration, is more time consuming to sharpen. If you're a fusspot when it comes to looks, 420J2 scratches more easily than VG-10.

Can't comment on rust, never had a trace of it on any ZDP knife, and the only time I've experienced it on VG-10 involved poor maintenance and possible electrolysis.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

JediKnight86 wrote: Don't say both :rolleyes:
Get both :D
But if you can't, I would advice to get G10/Vg10. I bought this knife on the first day, when they come out and I carry it every day since than. Love it. G10 is giving me a good grip and Vg10 is acceptable edge holding with easy maintenance. I have CF Caly3 as well. It never leaves display case :o
By the way, after you get both of them, do not ignore UKPK, especially in Orange, it is Caly family too.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Billy

Post by Billy »

I really like the G-10 VG-10 version. The VG-10 is super sharp and easy to keep that way. I am not a fan of ZDP in way shape or form. Just too much work for me.
I prefer to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
I LOVE MY MILLIES
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
squad314

Post by squad314 »

I specifically bought a g10,vg10 version first to see if I liked the knife enough to drop the bigger coin on the more exotic version....I did and I did. :D .I edc'd the carbon,zdp version for a number of months and in my opinion,it was the perfect knife for me.Unfortunately,being the dope that I am,I sold it to try another knife which I only kept for a month or so.Of all the Spydies I've had,the Carbon Caly 3 is the one that I regret getting rid of most. :( .The good news is,that I just got a brand new G10 version two days ago and I'm a happy clam....I didn't have any issues with the zdp,but I'm a big fan of vg10.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear.
mrappraisit

Post by mrappraisit »

I have both and have EDC'd both. I prefer my ZDP Caly3 because with my light use I have to touch up the blade once every two to three weeks.
I totally agree with what ViVi was saying about thick edges. The ZDP with a thin bezel is AMAZING for lighter work, camping/piknick food prep.

For what it's worth my ZDP Caly3 came with perfect angles from the factory, and my VG-10 Caly3 needed some work re-profiling. Since I have both knives I decided to leave the edge of my VG-10 a little thicker, and it's what I use for harder cutting tasks. The ZDP I left with the factory thin edge and it makes a great lighter/office use folder.

Regarding the scales I like both for different reasons. The Cf is nicer looking, and NKP friendlier (NKP are attracted to shiny things :D ), while the G-10 works better if your hands might be wet, like running/hiking/camping.

Like Deacon I have never encountered any rust on my three ZDP knives, and I live in the Chandler area, so I don't think you will have problems.

I think the CF version will be around a while longer, but it is sometimes hard to get. It seems like there are 3-6 periods of time where production has to catch up to demand, of course it also seems like demand has slowed for this version.
I do think there may be a run on them once the end of production is announced, they are a really underated knife with most knife users. I think the VG-10 version will be around for years, its just that good!
Enjoy whichever one (or both) that you get! :D
After enlightenment, the laundry.
JediKnight86

Post by JediKnight86 »

bh49 wrote:Get both :D
But if you can't, I would advice to get G10/Vg10. I bought this knife on the first day, when they come out and I carry it every day since than. Love it. G10 is giving me a good grip and Vg10 is acceptable edge holding with easy maintenance. I have CF Caly3 as well. It never leaves display case :o
By the way, after you get both of them, do not ignore UKPK, especially in Orange, it is Caly family too.
I def will get an orange UKPK = Fanta :D

I'm probably going with the G10 version of the Caly3 to start.
Phalanx7.62

Post by Phalanx7.62 »

Really can't go wrong either way.
JediKnight86

Post by JediKnight86 »

Got the G10 version. I like it! But I need them all still hehe.
drf

Post by drf »

JediKnight86 wrote:Got the G10 version. I like it! But I need them all still hehe.
Good choice. I know about needing them all. I had a CF version and a DK Pen Knife and I recently traded away two spydies that just set in a drawer for a UK Pen Knife and a G10 Caly. Now I can't decide which of the four is my favorite edc.