Another Spyderco Tanto??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Another Spyderco Tanto??

Post by JD Spydo »

With the Spyderco C-46 Bob Lum Tanto being one of my dearest and most prized EDC knives I've wondered if and when Spyderco will be doing another Tanto. Not only did I like the Lum Tanto folder but I loved the fixed blade Tanto as well.

It's been a while and lot has been learned about knife designs since then so maybe it would be great timing.

Do I have any fellow Tanto fans here in Spyderville? The Lum design was just fantastic and I think we could learn from it. Anyone else in my corner on this one. Fixed blade Tanto or Folder?

OK let's talk
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Lockback

Post by Lockback »

Preach on, Brother Spydo!

The FB Lum is perhaps my favorite Spydie of all. I've said it before: remake them using VG-10 and I'll pre-order a few. I'd also welcome the opportunity to own one of the folders, as well.
Phalanx7.62

Post by Phalanx7.62 »

I have been asking for this as well. I hold up hope too, because I asked for a new Lum Chinese over 2 years ago. I would LOVE one like this:

This would be perfect for me. VG10 would be perfect to try and keep costs somewhat in control.
whkento

Post by whkento »

Wow, that would be nearly impossible to resist! I want one.
Piercieve

Post by Piercieve »

I think that would sell like hotcakes. Hotcakes made of high quality materials

I want one.
"I ain't looking for confusion, but it tends to follow me."

E4 white, E4 waved SE, Caspian Salt, Crossbill, Mule, white Dragonfly, Boker CLB Desert Subcom, BM Blackwood mini Skirmish,
v8r

Post by v8r »

I have a C46 Ti and i have to say it is one of the more classy looking spyderco knives there is.It is a very elegant design. Very classy looking for a tanto blade, yet not too "Tactical" looking.I vote for a stainless or aluminium handle, and some jimping on the thumb ramp and liner lock.I also would like the construction to stay the same( screw together).I believe with a stainless or aluminium handle, that it would help keep the price down where everyone here that wanted one could maybe afford one. :)
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

I think it would be cool, but it's proably someting I wouldn't buy, since I buy knives for users and not collectors (we have a 3.5 inch limit here also).

I think an appropriately made tanto would be an awesome user though. I'm thinking something around para sized, flat ground, with a tip that is thin enough to work with.

That would be about right for me, but I don't know how many would like something like that.
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
MCM

Post by MCM »

Phalanx7.62 wrote:I have been asking for this as well. I hold up hope too, because I asked for a new Lum Chinese over 2 years ago. I would LOVE one like this:

This would be perfect for me. VG10 would be perfect to try and keep costs somewhat in control.

A sprint run of 1200 would sell out with pre-orders.........
Agree 100%, build it! I'll take 2 (plain - non black blade)
VISA # _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
bh49

Post by bh49 »

whkento wrote:Wow, that would be nearly impossible to resist! I want one.
If Spyderco will make Sprint Lum Tanto fixed or folder I even wouldn't try to resist. :p :D
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Th232

Post by Th232 »

One of the few tantos that I've ever liked.

Personally, I'd go for the folder version, HOWEVER, while I wouldn't mind seeing the Lum tanto back, I would much prefer to see this design by Alex:

Comp lock, and there's just something about having it bolstered that make me want it.
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

thefly01

Post by thefly01 »

Wow that thing is amazing :eek: I really like the logo on the handle. Ergos look great as well.
Phalanx7.62

Post by Phalanx7.62 »

I even love the blue color in the photo. That would be absolutely perfect for me. I would hope to buy 2 so I could use and carry one of them.
aj1985

Post by aj1985 »

Why not just have the same designs come back.

Lum Designs are just perfect. :cool:

If everyone of the Lum Designs would come back one after the next. I can bet my bottom dollar that even in this economy they would sell very well.

TI - LUM PE
TI - LUM SE

aj
Live in every breath

INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
JD Spydo

Tanto: More functional than most people think

Post by JD Spydo »

I would be willing to go either way. I didn't even care much for the Tanto design until I got the Spyderco LUM tantos. The one brother said he didn't buy knives unless he would use them. Well I do use my C-46 folder on occasion and really enjoy carrying it and get a ton of compliements on it.

It wouldn't have to be the Lum design because I wouldn't mind seeing another design with that premise in mind. I truly believe that the Tanto design gets a bum rap because of all of the poorly designed tantos out there. The LUM tanto truly is a genius design.

I like the idea of a titanium handle like the one brother suggested. The one I have has a G-10 handle which is also very functional. This design deserves another shot for sure.
aj1985

Post by aj1985 »

what do you guys think about this guy. Hopefully this design will make everyone happy.
Can't say I didn't try. ;)

aj
Live in every breath

INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
Vicarious Reality

Post by Vicarious Reality »

Whoa, thats... cool
Dem tings be mine:
PE blue Yojimbo ~ PE blue Dodo ~ ZDP PE Delica ~ s30v Native ~ Military ~ Aus Dragonfly ~ Endura4 ~ Yellow Salt 1 ~ Yellow Pacific Salt ~ 3 byrds and a lot of Cold Steel, Benchmade, Glock, Mora, KA-BAR, Kanetsune, SOG, CRKT, Schrade and misc. crap.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Th232

Post by Th232 »

Funny you mention that one AJ...

RJ Martin's Rampage (the FB version) is currently being produced by Boker, with very good sales, and just yesterday I was posting on BF asking if they would consider making the folding version as well.

I'd like to see a production version, but given current associations, it'd probably go to Boker instead.
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

JD Spydo

To honor the late Bob Lum

Post by JD Spydo »

How about a Tanto folder, a re-do of the original C46 LUM with a fully convex blade grind for the entire blade rather than just the end of the blade like they did on the first one.

Also you could do a fixed blade Lum Tanto with one of the Super Steels like ZDP-189 or CPM-M4 and a really jazzed up Micarta handle.

How really decent it would be to at least do Sprint runs on those 2 to honor one of the very best knifemaker/designers ever; and that being the late Bob Lum.
Phalanx7.62

Post by Phalanx7.62 »

I like the convex edge idea but wonder if it would put production costs too high. It is hard enough to grind that appleseed grind on the tip (as a proper tanto should have) let alone the whole blade.

FB would be cool too but not for me. I just don't use them.
rlw1979777

Post by rlw1979777 »

As long as Bob Lums Chop Mark is on the correct side, not like the ZDP...
I have a small collection.. At least in my mind its small. All respect to Sal and this great company! Collector Club Member #120