701 Profile Stone Instructions - download here

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: 701 Profile Stone Instructions - download here

Post by JD Spydo »

Cambertree wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:51 pm
I can’t speak for JD, of course, but I’d be curious to know what the price point range would have been, if you felt like sharing that information, Sal. I don’t mind paying a premium for good sharpening kit, but I recognise that others might balk at it.

Freehand sharpening gear seems to be a bit less popular with knife knuts these days than guided systems.
That sure isn't the case with me. Just this evening I resharpened my M390 Military model with my three Spyderco 302 Benchstones i.e. Medium, Fine & Ultra-Fine. However I did grind in the relief with my diamond 3M whetstone before putting it to the 3 Spyderco 302 Benchstones for the finishing touch. Needless to say it's now sharper than a "witch's tongue" :eek: It is a bit more time consuming but there is something really satisfying using manual tools to sharpen your blades.

But I also like my two sets of 204 Sharpmakers too. They are great for traveling and field use.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:46 pm
That sure isn't the case with me. Just this evening I resharpened my M390 Military model with my three Spyderco 302 Benchstones i.e. Medium, Fine & Ultra-Fine. However I did grind in the relief with my diamond 3M whetstone before putting it to the 3 Spyderco 302 Benchstones for the finishing touch. Needless to say it's now sharper than a "witch's tongue" :eek: It is a bit more time consuming but there is something really satisfying using manual tools to sharpen your blades.

But I also like my two sets of 204 Sharpmakers too. They are great for traveling and field use.
Good stuff JD, I always like hearing what sharpening gear people here like to use to resharpen their Spydies.

That’s interesting you use a 3M diamond plate - you don’t tend to hear a lot about them. The 3M sandpaper I’ve used seems to be quite high quality.

I guess I was just making a general observation that sharpening skills seem less common these days, and guided systems seem to be a go-to for younger folk when they look for a way to sharpen their knives.

I could be way off in that observation though!

I prefer freehand sharpening too, and tend to use the Sharpmaker for quick and easy touch ups.

I often buy second hand knives of different kinds (like SAKs) to resharpen and clean up and give away.

It’s very rare to find any that show any evidence of resharpening at all.

Most of the previously owned Spydies I’ve bought are the same. The few that had been sharpened had mostly just had minor 20 dps touchups done on the original factory edge.

Older traditional knives I have, often show blades that have been heavily sharpened over years, sometimes until the blades are reduced to toothpicks.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Hey dude!! I like that line of 3M diamond sharpening tools even better than I do the stuff that DMT puts out. I've got quite a few of 3M's diamond tools and they are great. And you're right you don't hear many people talking about their line of diamond sharpening tools. And I can't understand why either :confused: They do a superb job IMO.

I have a plethora of all different types of sharpening stones I've gathered throughout the years and I'll never give up playing with them freehanded. It does take practice but once you get the hang of doing it freehanded it comes natural. Kind of like typing or playing a guitar or even riding a bike.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:28 am
Hey dude!! I like that line of 3M diamond sharpening tools even better than I do the stuff that DMT puts out. I've got quite a few of 3M's diamond tools and they are great. And you're right you don't hear many people talking about their line of diamond sharpening tools. And I can't understand why either :confused: They do a superb job IMO.

I have a plethora of all different types of sharpening stones I've gathered throughout the years and I'll never give up playing with them freehanded. It does take practice but once you get the hang of doing it freehanded it comes natural. Kind of like typing or playing a guitar or even riding a bike.
Thanks for the info, JD. :)

Yes, I’m the same - I like playing with new benchstones and sharpening gear almost as much as a new knife.

I’m looking forward to receiving my Goldenstone, and will continue to keep a lookout for some second hand Pro-Files, based on your recommendation. :cool: :spyder:
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

Today I uploaded the pages to my website of an old dealers catalogue in pdf format. One of those pages was of the Profile. Happy downloading.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Cambertree wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:59 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:28 am

Thanks for the info, JD. :)

Yes, I’m the same - I like playing with new benchstones and sharpening gear almost as much as a new knife.

I’m looking forward to receiving my Goldenstone, and will continue to keep a lookout for some second hand Pro-Files, based on your recommendation. :cool: :spyder:
And to compare that to the use of 701 Profiles stones is similar. Because it takes a bit of practice to also get the hang of using the 701 stones for a wide variety of different sharpening jobs.

I would immediately try to switch over to the GOLDENSTONE exclusively if they ever do get them made in different grit selections. Because there are several things you can do with the GOLDENSTONE that you can do with the 701 Profiles.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:17 am
And to compare that to the use of 701 Profiles stones is similar. Because it takes a bit of practice to also get the hang of using the 701 stones for a wide variety of different sharpening jobs.

I would immediately try to switch over to the GOLDENSTONE exclusively if they ever do get them made in different grit selections. Because there are several things you can do with the GOLDENSTONE that you can do with the 701 Profiles.
Thanks JD. Yes I'm looking forward to spending some sharpening time with the Goldenstone when it arrives. I often use the Sharpmaker triangle rods freehand as well, mainly for SE sharpening, or 'steeling' an edge with the Ultrafines. I imagine the Pro-files would act in a similar way, just with a slightly more versatile shape with the different radiused edges available, and wider flats.

I really like the Doublestuff 2 as well, for a handy portable pocket sharpener.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Cambertree wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:27 am
JD Spydo wrote:

Thanks JD. Yes I'm looking forward to spending some sharpening time with the Goldenstone when it arrives. I often use the Sharpmaker triangle rods freehand as well, mainly for SE sharpening, or 'steeling' an edge with the Ultrafines. I imagine the Pro-files would act in a similar way, just with a slightly more versatile shape with the different radiused edges available, and wider flats.

The GOLDENSTONE is a fun toy to play with. I've been experimenting with it ever since I bought it back 2012. It is a most interesting sharpening tool because there are so many tools you can sharpen with it.

But if they ever do get the GOLDENSTONE made in more grits I'll get everyone of them. They were supposed to be making a base to use it with but I haven't heard about that in quite a while now. That would make it nice to work with.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:34 am
Cambertree wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:27 am
JD Spydo wrote:

The GOLDENSTONE is a fun toy to play with. I've been experimenting with it ever since I bought it back 2012. It is a most interesting sharpening tool because there are so many tools you can sharpen with it.

But if they ever do get the GOLDENSTONE made in more grits I'll get everyone of them. They were supposed to be making a base to use it with but I haven't heard about that in quite a while now. That would make it nice to work with.
Yes, definitely, JD. I really like the 3”x 8” UF benchstone as a fine finishing stone. A UF Goldenstone would be very cool, as would the brown ‘medium’ version, which Sal mentioned as being a possibility.