701 Profile Stone Instructions - download here

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fred Sanford

701 Profile Stone Instructions - download here

Post by Fred Sanford »

Hey folks,

I've had a few requests for the PDF I created by scanning the instructions that came with my 701 Profiles stones.

Some of you may remember I posted them in the past, and I can't find the thread. I did check with Sal and Kristi in the past to make sure it was legal to post the PDF instructions. They said it was ok.

I'm doing this because there are people out there that never got instructions with their 701 stones, or they have lost their instructions.

So here they are again for a limited time below.
---------------------------------------------

http://www.freefilehosting.net/EjQ63OFH ---Best Link

http://www.filefactory.com/file/b1ed9e3 ... ctions.pdf ---OK Link...

Download while you can, I'm not sure how long this will be active so do feel free to email me if the link expires after a while.

Cheers,
David
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
JD Spydo

hidden sharpening treasure

Post by JD Spydo »

Hey David thanks a million for making those valuable pieces of information available to us :)

People I can't stress enough just how important and useful of a set of sharpening tools the Spyderco 701 Profiles are. Since I've learned to use them properly I won't touch one of my serrated blades with anything but my 701 Profiles.

They are extremely versatile and can sharpen a myriad of edged tools.

I just wish that Spyderco would do a video/DVD on the proper useage and reveal the many uses that the 701 Profiles are capable of.

This is a very much overlooked Spyderco sharpening tool. That's got to change.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Joe,

No problem bro. I put them up before and the link died after 30 days of no use.

So if someone here (like The Deacon) wants to put this PDF up on their own website I am fine with that, as I'm sure Spyderco would be too since they allowed me to scan the instrutions and upload them.

I also agree. I use my 701's for all my knives. I use a DMT Coarse stone for plain edges and fixing a bevel or rebeveling but then I use my 701's to touch up and/or finish my edges (especially serrated).

:)
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
JD Spydo

Diamond 701 profile?? can we have???

Post by JD Spydo »

David Lowry wrote:Joe,

No problem bro. I put them up before and the link died after 30 days of no use.

So if someone here (like The Deacon) wants to put this PDF up on their own website I am fine with that, as I'm sure Spyderco would be too since they allowed me to scan the instrutions and upload them.

I also agree. I use my 701's for all my knives. I use a DMT Coarse stone for plain edges and fixing a bevel or rebeveling but then I use my 701's to touch up and/or finish my edges (especially serrated).

:)
David it is quite a coincidence that you would mention DMT diamond sharpening stones in the same context as the 701 Profiles. I have gone on record over 2 years ago saying that if Spyderco was to also offer a 701 Profile stone in diamond just like they did with the 204 Sharpmaker stones it would be the most perfect all purpose manual sharpening tool kits out there on the open market. Not to mention being a dream tool to take backpacking, camping, hunting, fishing or even a survival situation.

Most collectors and users of Spyderco knives have simply passed this tool by when they see it in the catalogs and are completely unaware of it's potential. They just don't know how good this tool is and how versatile it is. Michael Cook had echoed to me a long time ago how frustrated he was sharpening serrations. I set him a set of them and he was and still is mind blown as to how good of a sharpening tool for serrations they are. Not to mention that they keep your serrations in virtually the same sharpness and appearance as when you get them new.

Now do keep in mind there are many serration patterns out there on the open market. And not every serration pattern can be sharpened by this tool. The serrations on many of Cold Steel's blades for instance are not compatible for the 701 Profiles. But as far as I know every serration pattern that has come forth from the Great Spyder Factory can be sharpened by the 701 Profiles.

Yes indeed if Spyderco would make a diamond 701 Profile that would make my day!!
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
So-Lo

Post by So-Lo »

I love my profile set!

They can tackle most any sharpening shape, from Full SE, PE, and they just flat kick *** on recurves. That big rounded side will get in the hawk part, and when you are pulling the blade it will hit the flat part like a normal benchstone.

Hard to explain, but they can sharpen a recurve in one easy motion.

My sharp maker has not had any use since having the profile set. :cool:
bald1

Post by bald1 »

David,

Thanks for replacing the dead link with these current ones and for answering my e-mail request for just this action yesterday. Truly appreciated!

--Bob
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

Thank you David! I eventually plan to get the 701 set and this will be a great help! :)

Agent Starling
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
Bam-it

Post by Bam-it »

Hello, I feel a little stupid to have to ask but I have an older model sharp-maker set with the two medium brown and two fine white triangle stones. Is it the same as this 701 profile set. Thanks,
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

Bam-it wrote:Hello, I feel a little stupid to have to ask but I have an older model sharp-maker set with the two medium brown and two fine white triangle stones. Is it the same as this 701 profile set. Thanks,
Sorry, but that is just an older sharpmaker.

The profiles are a just a set of two ceramic stones in a special shape that matches the small and large scallops on a SE blade, but also have a groove and can sharpen all shapes of blades.

I also use mine for everything, and I also have a ultra fine pocket stone for touch ups and finish work.

I think the biggest problem with the profiles selling (other than people thinking they can't sharpen their own knives) is that they are basically to be used freehand. Many people are afraid of sharpening freehand, so they stick to their lansky's and sharpmakers. I've been sharpening knives since I was old enough to know about them, so I'm decent at it :p

I think I'll get myself a duckfoot sometime, that should help me with reprofiling
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
cl0123

Post by cl0123 »

David Lowry wrote: Spyderco 701 Profile Instructions.pdf - download location #1.
David,

Thanks for the very helpful information. The second link is no longer available. I found your post through googling "spyderco 701 profile set" after reading through some threads generated by googling "recurve sharpening".

Recently, I acquired a recurve blade on impulse without thinking about the maintenance part. I have some experiences in waterstones and am comfortable with sharpening most pocket knives and kitchen blades until the recurve, especially the concave portion. For a couple of months, I have been using a ceramic honing rod on the recurve blade but the results are less than ideal. Mostly because the ceramic honing rod is "coarser" (probably around 800-1000 grit) than I would like and hence the resulting edge is not very polished.

May I ask if anyone knows the approximate grit grades of the 701 profile set? In particular, the finer white rod? I usually finish up my edges on a 4000 grit Japanese stone to make them push through newspaper almost effortlessly, but I have yet to reproduce that kind of edge on the ceramic honing rod that I have. In fact, I have been studying the Spyderco triangle sharpmaker and wondering if that's "the ticket" to my recurve maintenance. I finally understand now that with a sharpmaker, the user only has to worry about keeping the blade perpendicular down, whereas with the profile set, the user has to maintain an angle of attack. In a sense, cobrajoe was right about the sharpmaker is pretty much a slight evolution of the profile set.

The sharpmaker appears to be the easier-to-use sharpener for recurves, but when I finally saw the cross-section image of the profile stones, I think the different small and large curved surfaces would be a lot more useful. Waterstones sharpening requires stroking in the horizontal or X-direction; hopefully, my hands can transfer the same skills into the Y-direction as well. :o

With Aloha,

Clarence
DMgangl

Post by DMgangl »

Thats a lot less then I was expecting. I was thinking it required a up and down motion in each scallion with the proper radius.

DM
Smile, it can always get worse
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Yeah if you guys need me to update the link let me know and I'll put it somewhere else.

GLad to help.
cl0123

Post by cl0123 »

David,

Would you happen to know what is the equivalent grit grade on the fine rod of the 701 set? Or, put it the other way, if I do the vertical stroke on the fine rod, can it produce a mirror-polish on the edge?

For most uses, the blade does cut through almost anything I attempted. However, I suppose the hobby-sharpener side of me just wishes it could push through paper as well. Otherwise, fruits, food, cardboards, tarps, etc, you name it, the blade cuts it.

Thanks again!

With Aloha,

Clarence
MountainManJim

Post by MountainManJim »

JD Spydo,

Have you looked into the Byrd Duckfoot?? It might satisfy your need for diamonds.

Jim
I Like Sharp Things

Current Favorite: Caly 3.5, Super Blue. We're done here. It doesn't get better than the Caly 3.5
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Bumped this with updated download links for some of the newer folks I've been seeing here. ;)
808spyder

Post by 808spyder »

I tried downloading this link with no success. Does anyone have this link or a similar instructional? Thanks.
-F1

Post by -F1 »

I just re-scanned it using my own ProFile document, and saved it as a new PDF. Here is a link:

http://sn.im/spydercoprofile (~2.5 MB)
808spyder

Post by 808spyder »

Much appreciated -F1.
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

David Lowry wrote:Hey folks,

I've had a few requests for the PDF I created by scanning the instructions that came with my 701 Profiles stones.

Some of you may remember I posted them in the past, and I can't find the thread. I did check with Sal and Kristi in the past to make sure it was legal to post the PDF instructions. They said it was ok.

I'm doing this because there are people out there that never got instructions with their 701 stones, or they have lost their instructions.

So here they are again for a limited time below.
---------------------------------------------

http://www.freefilehosting.net/EjQ63OFH ---Best Link

http://www.filefactory.com/file/b1ed9e3 ... ctions.pdf ---OK Link...

Download while you can, I'm not sure how long this will be active so do feel free to email me if the link expires after a while.

Cheers,
David
Hey David,

I'm thinking of buying a 701, but was unable to open either of the above links. Any chance of an update?

Thanks,
Mark
The CoPilot

Re: 701 Profile Stone Instructions - download here

Post by The CoPilot »

Since the instructions that Fred Sanford (the OP) originally linked to this thread no longer work, I found on another forum where he had uploaded this same document to Google Drive and was able to download the file. I have converted the instructions to image form to allow them to be attached here. The 701 and 702 Profiles are still one of my all-time favorite Spyderco sharpening products and I just wish they were more available to that everyone could experience them. If you own serrated edge Spyderco knives, you NEED a set of these stones.

So if you have been looking for the Spyderco Profile Instructions, here they are:
Spyderco 701 Profile Instructions page 1.jpg
Spyderco 701 Profile Instructions page 2.jpg
Spyderco 701 Profile Instructions page 3.jpg
Spyderco 701 Profile Instructions page 4.jpg
><> The most important blood trail leads to the Cross <><
C09 CoPilots My Specialty
Integrity is Being Good Even if No One is WatchingTM
Looking for: C04 Executive plain edge, C09 CoPilot plain edge with brass liners and a G-2 marked blade