ATR magnetized

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
hardkiss

ATR magnetized

Post by hardkiss »

i am dusting off my knives and i notice that the ATR is magnetized..i didn't have it around any type of magnets at all..it is not like you can stick it on the fridge but there is some type of pull coming from this..can any explain this..
"it is like a finger pointing a way to the moon, don't concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory"

Bruce Lee
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

i remember from a MacGyver episode as a kid that if you hit metal really hard it gets magnetized for a short period of time...of course he could make a h bomb with some shoe string, a pair of pliers and some bubble gum...so it could have been all BS :p
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
zozo

Post by zozo »

I've noticed that several of my Spyderco/byrd knives came magnetized. I can pick up paper clips with my Delica, my Robin, and my VG10 Caly3. It's actually kind of handy--I've rescued a few dropped screws from deep in my computer with the tip of a blade.
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

hardkiss wrote:i am dusting off my knives and i notice that the ATR is magnetized..i didn't have it around any type of magnets at all..it is not like you can stick it on the fridge but there is some type of pull coming from this..can any explain this..
Cool! I wish my Spyders did that!
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
jasonp1

yep

Post by jasonp1 »

My Native and Chinook are both magnatized..I actually kinda like it.
Majidoc

Post by Majidoc »

That's cool.
Life is a process not an event!
GoMeR

Post by GoMeR »

Are these knives like this when you receive them or after you have used them for a while? If they have been sharpened what are you sharpening them with? Some or my hand tools have become magnatized over time with certain metal to metal contact. Not sure how it happens but it does.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Once upon a time, if you left a steel object sitting on a TV set or a speaker enclosure long enough it would become magnetized. Not sure if there are strong enough magnets in any of the current stuff to cause that. IIRC, at least in theory, just having something steel near a wire carrying current can magnetize it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Agent Starling

right hand rule to the rescue...

Post by Agent Starling »

The Deacon wrote:IIRC, at least in theory, just having something steel near a wire carrying current can magnetize it.
That is right on...the electric field from the current induces a magnetic field perpendicular to the current's direction of travel, and encircling the wire. :)

Agent Starling
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
zozo

Post by zozo »

GoMeR wrote:Are these knives like this when you receive them or after you have used them for a while? If they have been sharpened what are you sharpening them with? Some or my hand tools have become magnatized over time with certain metal to metal contact. Not sure how it happens but it does.
It's something I just noticed one day with the Delica. I went through the rest of my knives and the Robin had the same effect. When I got the new Caly3, I tested it out of the box--it was magnetized.

All my sharpening has been with the Sharpmaker and the Edgepro. I haven't put them in any coils of wire running current to my knowledge--I imagine if I'd had them in proximity to anything strong enough to magnetize them, my credit cards in the back pocket would have been affected. The credit cards still work, though--I suspect they all came like that.

It doesn't bother me at all, though. Like I said, it's kind of a handy little feature.
Davis61381

Post by Davis61381 »

My ZDP Caly JR is!
-davis
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

thats cool and pretty handy. i tried all mine i could find around my room and my endura has a strong magnetic pull to it too. easily picked up paperclips :) weird i hadnt figured that out before .ive only had that knife for like ever......
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!