Bottle Caps

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gldfshkpr

Bottle Caps

Post by gldfshkpr »

Did Spyderco ever make a knife that had a bottle cap opener? Does anyone use their Spyderco knife to open bottles?
uhiforgot

Post by uhiforgot »

Nope, and yep. I use mine all the time to open bottles in a similar manner to how some use a disposable lighter. I find that the Captain, Manix, and ATR seem to do this best... at least from what I've used.

A very wise man once told me "Eat to live; don't live to eat." ...To my knowledge that's the only stupid thing he's ever said.
gldfshkpr

Post by gldfshkpr »

uhiforgot wrote:Nope, and yep. I use mine all the time to open bottles in a similar manner to how some use a disposable lighter. I find that the Captain, Manix, and ATR seem to do this best... at least from what I've used.
Right, from the spine of the blade. Do you use the back of the hole or the back of the blade. I cut myself the first night using my Stretch to open a beer. It just rocked back far enough to slice my left index finger. Blood was drawn, a relationship was forged. :D
uhiforgot

Post by uhiforgot »

gldfshkpr wrote:Right, from the spine of the blade. Do you use the back of the hole or the back of the blade. I cut myself the first night using my Stretch to open a beer. It just rocked back far enough to slice my left index finger. Blood was drawn, a relationship was forged. :D
Actually I took a few chunks out of the back of my index knuckle before figuring that the back of a blade is not the best thing with which to open a beer :o If you're gonna use the back of the blade, do it with a trainer.

I use one of the narrow ends of the scales as a lever against my finger wrapped around the top of the bottle neck. No cutting up your fingers, and occasionally it looks really cool when the bottle cap flies up into the ceiling fan :D

A very wise man once told me "Eat to live; don't live to eat." ...To my knowledge that's the only stupid thing he's ever said.
gldfshkpr

Post by gldfshkpr »

Oh, I see. Unfortunately my Stainless Steel Stretch is beveled on all sides. I do have my eye on a Delica or Caly3. Those might make good bottle openers. Ah, another excuse to by a new knife. :)
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

My advice: Get a bottle opener....or CRKT makes a neat little neck knife called the Dogfish which has a bottle opener at the back end...cool little wharnie if you ask me....Save the Spyderco's for some real tasks.....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
gldfshkpr

Post by gldfshkpr »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:My advice: Get a bottle opener....or CRKT makes a neat little neck knife called the Dogfish which has a bottle opener at the back end...cool little wharnie if you ask me....Save the Spyderco's for some real tasks.....Doc :D
Well, it seems I'm always searching for the ever elusive bottle opener(s) in my abode. The knife is always on me.

I find my 8 inch chefs knife works like a charm. Of course I'm not so inclined to carry that around with me. :eek:
gldfshkpr

Post by gldfshkpr »

Cool!

uhiforgot

Post by uhiforgot »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:My advice: Get a bottle opener....or CRKT makes a neat little neck knife called the Dogfish which has a bottle opener at the back end...cool little wharnie if you ask me....Save the Spyderco's for some real tasks.....Doc :D
With all due respect, Doc, opening a fine bottle of brew might eventually interfere with one's ability to operate a Spydie, but it is most certainly a "real task" :D This is one with about 2 years worth of said task under its belt :)

gldfshkpr

Post by gldfshkpr »

uhiforgot wrote:With all due respect, Doc, opening a fine bottle of brew might eventually interfere with one's ability to operate a Spydie, but it is most certainly a "real task" :D This is one with about 2 years worth of said task under its belt :)
:D Nice. My SS Stretch would be perfect but for the bevel. :(
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

Ive never found a knife I couldnt open a bottle with... cut myself once with my Cricket, but its not that hard... I'll post some pictures in a little while
Brad Southard

Southard Knives

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men," Colossians 3:23
LowTEC

Post by LowTEC »

i find the wave models are natural born beer bottle openers :D
LBK3S|C52BK|C106PYL|745|943|C08CFS|C52m|C36GPBK|C10GPFG|1003UBK2|14210|C123CFP|C81FG
C28WH|1600DAM|C105|RC4S|C51GPFG|1735OR|830675|C90CF|C123TIP|CS97KMS|BRKT-CS|BRKT-MC
BRKT-LC3V|C101XHP
Sakuraba#1

Post by Sakuraba#1 »

the byrd firebyrd has a bottle opener on it.
azrida21

Post by azrida21 »

If you what a bottle opener the endura wave is ideal.
gldfshkpr

Post by gldfshkpr »

LowTEC wrote:i find the wave models are natural born beer bottle openers :D
The first time I saw the wave I wondered about it opening bottles. I guess I though, Nah, too good to be true.
gldfshkpr

Post by gldfshkpr »

Sakuraba#1 wrote:the byrd firebyrd has a bottle opener on it.
...and a lighter holder! Not quite what I need. I do like the idea of a hooked end on a regular knife. Sal? Eric? Are you guys listening in on this one? :)
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

Here is my method.

Its very Important to realize that you can cut yourself, really quite badly if you do this wrong. So dont try this at home :D or after a third errrr... Soda....

Its just me at home tonight, so I had to take the photos with one hand, thats why there are no in action shot.

The idea is to grip the neck of the bottle up high just below the lip of the cap. The use the spine of the blade underneath that lip and have the blade resting on top of your knuckle. Then you grab the knife and rotate away, using the leverage to remove the cap.

Also shown is how to do it with a smaller knife, just dont use the blade of a small knife, as it will cut you!!! Badly!!!!

Brad Southard

Southard Knives

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men," Colossians 3:23
gldfshkpr

Post by gldfshkpr »

Brad

Nice photos. It inspired me. These are the only two options I have. The Spydie hole doesn't work so well. I've yet to try the second way. Not sure it would be good for the knife.

Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

gldfshkpr wrote:...and a lighter holder! Not quite what I need. I do like the idea of a hooked end on a regular knife. Sal? Eric? Are you guys listening in on this one? :)
I think it would be easier for Sal and Eric to make you twist off caps for your errrr soda....You might want to think Seki-City and start drinking Sake....Works for me!!!...LOL...Doc :D

PS: I'm send Tricod a bottle opener ASAP....beer and blood don't mix...unless you have too many...then you will regret it the next morning, and I'm not talking about a hang over....Doc
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

When you see the photos, or think about it before having had any errrr sodas, it seems so obvious what NOT to do. But after a few errrr sodas, it's just the kinda mistake someone without the 'benefit of experience' and a clear head might make. Good thread! If only I'd seen it when I was a teenager. :o

Tricod's photos should be turned into a public service poster for college campuses and summer campgrounds everywhere! :D