Carbon Fiber CLB

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RazorSharp86

Carbon Fiber CLB

Post by RazorSharp86 »

Here are my modified CLB couple. sorry for the bad pix, can't figure a way to take good pix and have them so small in size.
Attachments
DSCF2603.JPG
DSCF2603.JPG (17.64 KiB) Viewed 1202 times
Davis61381

Post by Davis61381 »

Does that Lava have CF inlay, or is it a complete CF handle? It looks great!
-davis
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

looks like a carbon fiber sticker decal to me
LowSpeedHighDrag

Post by LowSpeedHighDrag »

Like the look of that lava! Great way to protect the SS.
MOLON LABE
RazorSharp86

I kepp it REAL.

Post by RazorSharp86 »

RIOT wrote:looks like a carbon fiber sticker decal to me
Actually i took a whole CF wing of a high end RC helicopter, and using a dremel i grinded myself thin slabs, polishing it and stuff. then i used epoxy to get it to stick to the metal in both knives. Works EXCELLENT!!! even the Boker Trance, could acquire a CF looking liner.

so to sum it up- Yes, it is REAL CF, It's extremely solid, and scratch resistant.
it took a lot of time, and hard work, but i think these two are much nicer with the CF on the metal liners.
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

nice real CF, wonder if you could dremel out some of the staineless and then place the CF inside making it flush ?
RazorSharp86

Post by RazorSharp86 »

RIOT wrote:nice real CF, wonder if you could dremel out some of the staineless and then place the CF inside making it flush ?
Unfortunately it would be too hard for me :( . But i tried my best to make it look "inlay". the quality of the pictures is extremely bad. These two are BEAUTIFUL in reality; nice and shiny, excellent fit, and the CF looks "factory" :D
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

RazorSharp86 wrote:Unfortunately it would be too hard for me :( . But i tried my best to make it look "inlay". the quality of the pictures is extremely bad. These two are BEAUTIFUL in reality; nice and shiny, excellent fit, and the CF looks "factory" :D
Nice job! Don't feel bad. It probably would be too hard for 99.9% of the population to inlay the CF, even with access to a milling machine. Definitely would be impossible to do it neatly with a Dremel. Besides, in my opinion, the overlay method overcomes one of the major issues with stainless steel handles in general, they're just too darn thin. A bit of "bulking up" does them a world of good.

Do have to ask if laminating the CF onto the frame lock of the Trance had any effect on lockup. "On paper" it seems like it would make the bar less flexible, which would not be a good thing.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
El Tigre

Post by El Tigre »

Very nice job! Thanks for sharing

"El Tigre"
Folding knives can be classified in two large groups: Spydercos and the rest!

Please be patient, I dont speak english properly.
RazorSharp86

Post by RazorSharp86 »

I made the CF VERY thin on the frame of the Trance. And though i thought also the liner won't lock as good as before, i was surprised when it locked even a little better than before :eek:
but i guess i just got lucky there, most times you will sacrifice tension of liner if inlaying (or putting ON) CF scales.

On the addition of thickness to both knives- both knives became more solid, and more ergonomic in the hand. I like it a lot.