More About Millie

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RebelZero

More About Millie

Post by RebelZero »

So after asking some questions it appears I need to get a Military. I have a couple more queries before I splurge, though.

G-10 or carbon fiber? I've only handled the G-10 version. It was very grippy and snug in my hand. How's the carbon fiber feel? Is the S90 steel worth the extra cash?

Also, I've read on the forums that it's possible to have the Millie converted for tip-up carry. In preparation for buying one I've been trying to get used to carrying my Endura tip-down. I've carried tip-up for years and I was discouraged when I found out the Millie didn't have that option.

So how do you have it converted? Do I have to send it somewhere? How much would it cost?

Thanks for putting up with me, folks. I know it's crazy with a rabid newbie slobbering foam all over the forums.
anthonyc

Post by anthonyc »

the carbon fiber is very grippy, and i like it much better than the g10

heres my bg42 cf millie
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

i think the G10 is plenty grippy enough...the CF is just lighter and a lil less flexible...i bought a used one with 440V steel that was already switched by STR (his link is below) and the Cf stays in the safe...the camo millie is out if you want a different look ...Brad could change the clip for you too..Tricord or Tricod is his screen i always forget which is correct...supposedly there is a new 4 way clip millie in the works but who knows when it will make its debut..i wouldnt wait.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/forum ... .php?f=810
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
anthonyc

Post by anthonyc »

true, the g10 is grippy enough, but doesnt stay that way. the cf does.
STR

Post by STR »

The carbon fiber is a step up from the G10 in both looks and strength. Also, carbon fiber is considerably pricey so as a result I don't expect that a lot of folks will be using it that much when it will be necessary to add to the sticker price if its on the knife being sold. Spyderco must have gotten in a good size order before a lot of the price hike is all I can figure. Either that or they bought so much they got a heck of a price break. I've priced carbon fiber out here in the last few months for customers both in the textured and the regular eye dazzler smooth and it really has gone up to where it is considerably higher in price than a same size and thickness G10 sheet.

This on top of the fact that not all carbon fiber is the same grade according to Les at Halpern Titanium can make it worth getting the carbon fiber one. I recall seeing the carbon fiber handled folders by Spyderco for the first time and saying to myself how much classier that material felt to me and looked to me. The knives with this material just have a good look and feel to them that screams quality. Not that I am trying to take away anything from the G10 model but the way I see it the G10 model is the same ole same ole standard model. The CF model is like a once every now and then option that we are fortunate enough to get our hands on right now much like the limited versions of BG42 and D2 blade models so I'd suggest grabbing those over the standard G10 ones with the S30V blades personally but I know there is nothing wrong with any of them. Just my .02 worth.

Here is a copy and paste from Halpern's website. For what its worth Carbon fiber is about three to four times the price of G10 based on my recent purchases.

Carbon Fiber Sheet

Yes, there really is a world-wide shortage of carbon fiber, with the majority of the available carbon fabric being consumed by the aerospace industry. This has caused a dramatic increase in the price of quality carbon fiber. Be aware that all carbon fiber on the market is not created equally. Carbon fiber fabric must be stored in refrigerators and actually has a "shelf life." Near the end of its life, (or after), this fabric may be available at what seems to be a "deal." If this out-of-date pre-preg is manufactured once much of the epoxy resin has dried, the pressed sheets will probably contain pits and voids not always visible on the surface. The material may also be brittle. You won't know you have an inferior product until after you have purchased it.

In spite of these headaches, Halpern Titanium continues to search for quality carbon fiber at a reasonable price for our customers. Our composite material is produced using carbon fiber fabrics and epoxy resin in high pressure hydraulic presses under extremely high temperatures. The result is a structurally rigid, but lightweight material that is aesthetically pleasing with a multitude of uses.

STR
It is not necessary to do extraordinary things in life but only to do ordinary things extraordinarily well.

STR's Blog
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Of all my Millies, the S90V/CF gets the most pocket time. It is my "go-to" knife for rough, tough, nasty work. The steel holds an edge better than anything else I've tried. Is it worth the extra money? It's the only Military I have bought a second unit of, in case something happens to the one I'm using. To me, yes it is worth it.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
MCM

Post by MCM »

If you do not like the rough texture, it can be easilly sanded down to what ever finish you prefer.

I did mine with advice from another member. Used 220 / 400 grit wet & dry and a piece of glass. Only took about 10 minutes. I also moved the clip for tip up carry. Great light weight knife!

:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

I don't think it can be said enough... WARNING! Carbon Fiber dust will destroy your lungs. Do not work (grind, sand, shape, etc...) with Carbon Fiber material unless you are wearing an appropriate respirator.

As for the Military. Whether or not the S90V version is worth the extra money depends on how much you value edge retention. S90V will hold it's edge much longer than almost any other steel type out there. Not a hair popping edge, just sharp enough to be useful.
Also, regardless of which one you get, a good course diamond hone will make sharpening go so much faster it's not even funny.
The Military is one of the only knives I know of where Carbon Fiber is actually a structural upgrade, and not just for aesthetics. Most knives have full steel liners, and get all their rigidity from those. The Military actually uses the handle scale material as a structural element, thus Carbon Fiber makes a difference (G-10 is still an extremely stiff material, CF is just a step up).

If you just want to enjoy the beautiful handle design and blade geometry, the G-10 version is great. If you want the perks of better edge retention and a nicer handle, I'd get the S90V model. If you want one just to collect, the BG-42 model is definitely best for that.
MCM

Post by MCM »

Agree, keep it wet when sanding CF.
Hence the 3m wet&dry sand paper. :)
KaliGman

Military

Post by KaliGman »

I have been asked, on more than one occasion, by various law enforcement personnel, etc. what Military to buy. I have several, including the S90 model. I tell them that, unless they are a real "power user" (like Yablanowitz, who probably cuts more in a week than most people do in a year), the way to go is the S30V with G-10. The S90 will probably be a good "collector" piece in the future. The S90 and carbon fiber push this Mili up to the point where I feel the standard G10 and S30 Mili are a much better fit for most people. As for strength and grip, I have had no problems with G10. Carbon fiber may be stronger, but, having seen a Chevrolet Suburban drive over a G10 handled folder or two (don't ask, SWAT guys do some weird things), and having done a ridiculous amount of "outside design parameters and way over the top" stuff with one of my G10 handled Guntings, I have been pretty impressed with G10's strength. In fact, G10 is just about my favorite handle material for working or self-defense folders. As for what I carry, my favorite Military is actually the CPMD2 Foliage Green model.
"There is no weapon more deadly than the will." Bruce Lee

"The most pervasive and least condemned form of dishonesty is not doing the best you can." Colonel Jeff Cooper
RazorSharp86

G10

Post by RazorSharp86 »

I have both CF and G-10. And though i am a HUGE CF fan, i think the G-10/ S30v option is much better. The steel and handle upgrades are nice and all, but definitelly not worth the money. I could put CF on my G-10 Millia at no cost, myself. And for the steel part, i think S30v is the overall better steel; easier to sharpen, holds and amazing edge for a prolonged time (if you don't abuse it) , and overall it's a knife you are more likely to actually USE.
LowSpeedHighDrag

Post by LowSpeedHighDrag »

S30V G10 Millie is the best option for your money right now.
MOLON LABE
MCM

Post by MCM »

Its about a $50.00 difference if you buy online.
125 / 175
It was well worth it for me just to try S90v, and I have way too many with G-10.
But I like to try different steels. Just for fun.
M2, D2, S30v, 154cm, BG42, etc.
S30v is a great steel. My all time favorite is still 154cm with a good heat treat. (close relative to S30v)

Cant go wrong either way. :)

(The collector value oF mine might be in jeopardy now, LOL LOL)
Great super light weight edc.
Billy

Post by Billy »

I have three Militaries - G-10/S30V, FG G-10/CPM-D2 and CF BG-42. I don't currently have any plans for buying the S90V version due to the reported difficulty in sharpening that "super steel". I would rather use my knife all week and then touch up the edge with a few minutes on the Sharpmaker than use it for several weeks and spend hours trying to get a better-than-factory edge on it. :rolleyes:

Out of the three Millies I have, my favorite is the BG-42 closely followed by the D2. The CF handles on that knife are, for me just slightly better in the grip department, but much nicer in the weight department and the steel just rocks in all departments. For my money, I would definitely suggest picking up a BG-42 while there are still some floating around. The lightweight, strong and grippy CF handles combined with a steel that easily takes and holds a wickedly sharp, hair-splitting edge is about the perfect combination in a daily EDC for me. My current number two purchase choice would be the S30V version, although my second choice of my personal Millies is my D2 version. The steel is a very close second to the BG-42 and the G-10 handles in Foliage Green is still one of my favorites. Unfortunately, the D2 Militaries have all but dried up on the secondary market.

Good luck with your choice and let us know what you get.
I prefer to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
I LOVE MY MILLIES
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Shike

Post by Shike »

KaliGman wrote: As for what I carry, my favorite Military is actually the CPMD2 Foliage Green model.
+1. My favorite :spyder:
RebelZero

Post by RebelZero »

Thanks for the response, I appreciate all the info. There's a gun and knife show here this weekend. Hopefully I can find a Millie or two and get to compare.

I also talked to STR. I'm gonna ship him whatever I get so he can convert the clip for me. After a couple days carrying my Endura tip-down I realize it's not for me.
philthygeezer

Post by philthygeezer »

I'd just get a standard G10/S30V so you don't have any compunction about using it.
RebelZero

Post by RebelZero »

Here's what I got. Sorry for posting it twice in two different threads but I just figured out how to put up pics and I'm drunk with power.

LowSpeedHighDrag

Post by LowSpeedHighDrag »

Nice pic there lol! You got a bearded man and a Millie, good find!
MOLON LABE
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

RebelZero wrote:[...]t I just figured out how to put up pics and I'm drunk with power.

........... and mirror-inverted, too! Cool :D

Dennis