Millie Question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RebelZero

Millie Question

Post by RebelZero »

Hello, all:

Got a question for you. I'd like to purchase a larger Spydie and I've got it narrowed down to the Police 3 or the Military. I like a finger choil in my bigger folders and the Police model definitely has it. However, the Millie's choil looks to be tiny or nonexistent.

I know the Military gets lots of love on these forums, so obviously it gets a lot of use, too.

So to the Millie-lovers out there: will I be disappointed? Is the finger choil enough to comfortably keep my delicate flesh off the blade should I jam it tip-first into something?

Or should I just go with the Police?

Yours in addiction,

RZ
LowSpeedHighDrag

Post by LowSpeedHighDrag »

The millie is a beefier knife, the Police is a skinny knife. I feel extremely comfortable on the Millie choil and have no problems with it.
MOLON LABE
MountainMedic

Post by MountainMedic »

Dear RZ,
The Millie has always served me well whether in rapid, hard use or on routine tasks. The thicker handle with the combination of the jimping on the liner itself and on the actual choil at the base of the blade provide a rather large safety zone for those fingers. It has and will probably continue to be my most used Spydie.

That being said, I do have a Police 3. The choil is definitely more pronounced on it's thinner handle.

My advice would be the Millie. If you want a bigger Spydie I really don't think you'd be disappointed with it. If you get one and decide you don't like it they are always easy to sell. :)
Mike :spyder:
Shike

Post by Shike »

+1 on the both previous replies.
anthonyc

Post by anthonyc »

Millie :spyder:
asfaltpiloot

Post by asfaltpiloot »

I have both.
I would say the millie.
Robert

"Never leave home without a knife,
one day it may save a life"
A.P.F.

Post by A.P.F. »

One more for the Millie.
Regards, Al

The "soul" of hi-tech materials like G-10, H1, ZDP, Titanium, carbon fiber, etc is found in the performance. That appreciation of the "spirit" comes out in time, after use. It's saying, you can depend on me! I'm there for you no matter what! - Sal Glesser
Billy

Post by Billy »

I think you will be very happy with a Military. I love all three of mine! :D :D
I prefer to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
I LOVE MY MILLIES
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
STR

Post by STR »

I've got a fat finger wrapped around the Millie choil and it fits just fine. I'd go with the Millie and feel that choil is one of the best things about that design.

STR
It is not necessary to do extraordinary things in life but only to do ordinary things extraordinarily well.

STR's Blog
LowSpeedHighDrag

Post by LowSpeedHighDrag »

The choil is heavily jimped and you just cant slip while using it.
MOLON LABE
RazorSharp86

+1 for theMillie

Post by RazorSharp86 »

I've got both knives. Both are extremely ergonomic, solid, sharp and large. but i've got 1 Police, and 5 Millies. ;)
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

I've got both knives, though my favorite is the Military.
RebelZero

Post by RebelZero »

Wow. Overwhelming support for the Millie. I held one today and I'm not completely sold on it yet. It didn't feel quite right. That may be because the only one available had a combo edge which made me lose interest right away.

The more I research the more I want a full-size Manix. I only seem to find the combo edges online, though. I want full SE or full PE.

There's a gun/knife show here this Saturday. Maybe they'll have a bigger selection. I can always order of the net but I like to feel em in my hand before I buy em.

Thanks for all the responses; keep em coming!

RZ
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

The Manix comes in PE and CE, but not SE.

The Manix is another excellent choice. It has more heft to it that the Military, has outstanding ergonomics in the handle, and is a big knife. Being a bigger knife, though, it does fill out the pocket far more than the slimmer Military.

Both the Military and Manix are great knives to have.