Little Big Knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Lev

Little Big Knives

Post by Lev »

I find that I really don't need a clip with these knives (Spin, Cricket, Lava...), and I'm considering removing the clips. But maybe I'm just not visualizing all the possibilities of having the clip.

So...curious as to how everyone else carries theirs. Do you prefer clip or no clip?
wescobts

Post by wescobts »

Love the clip, saves me from digging in my pocket, saves the pocket bottom from being worn out, now I don't have to put the knife in a sheath and attach to a belt. :D
cougar337

Post by cougar337 »

Having smaller hands I usually carry the 'little big' knives exclusively and having the clip is nice it always keeps the knife right in reach and always in the same place instead of searching through your pockets among keys and such.

If the clips are removable then you have the best of both worlds and satisfy everyone, clip and non-clip alike
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Personally, I've always found the clip of a small knife (no matter what the brand) to be an integral part of the design... i.e., not only does it clip the knife to your pocket, it also fills the hand and provides the right places for your fingers and hand to fit into, thus increasing the practicality and security of the grip. On such knives, when I've removed the clip, the feel becomes totally different and the grip comes across as loose and insecure.
El Tigre

Post by El Tigre »

In the little knives, the clip provides better grip and it helps me to retain the knife when I open it with one hand.

"El Tigre"
Folding knives can be classified in two large groups: Spydercos and the rest!

Please be patient, I dont speak english properly.
tigerose123

Stick with the clip!

Post by tigerose123 »

I love the clip. However, out of all the knives you mentioned I only have the Cricket. I find it very useful (the clip that is), as people mentioned it makes it easier to grip, easier to find (in your pocket), and to be honest I just like the way it looks with the clip. I like to clip mine to my tie at work, or in my pocket when I'm not at work. :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
TxR

FRN Endura PE
SS Cricket SE
FRN Delica SE
FRN Native PE
SS Harpy SE
G10 Caly3 SE 089
G10 Barong PE
G10 Military PE:spyder:
FRN Jester PE:spyder:
52100 Mule Team PE 122
SS Dragonfly PE
White FRN Dragonfly PE
Grey FRN Endura Wave PE
MOP/Abalone Kiwi PE:spyder:

EDC: Kiwi, Military, Jester

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Aside from the Lava, which when I carry it serves as a money clip, I remove the clip from any clip equipped Spyderco I'm going to carry, little or big. Think they look better without it, feel better in my hand, and are less likely to damage my pocket that way.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Domanfp

Post by Domanfp »

I am a clip fanatic, I actually talked with STR about putting a clip on a ladybug!
-Frank

Delica and Endura are great knives! They're the low priced crack samples that'll get you hooked on spyderco! Feed the need!
-Michael Cook
Slick

Post by Slick »

I agree with Water Bug on this one.

A big knife fills the hand but a smaller knife is less secure in my hand. A clip provides an index point when deploying and manipulating the knife. I have often wondered about double clipping my Spyderco's. More grip and control should be better.
Not really all that slick ;)
Lev

Post by Lev »

Thanks. IMHO I think they look better without, but do agree after handling and manipulating the knives this morning that the clip is important for these knives. Solid points.
RazorSharp86

Post by RazorSharp86 »

I've got a Lava with modified handle. I put two slabs of CF on each side and removed the clip. It fits much nicer now, and definitelly adds to the looks :D
Majidoc

Post by Majidoc »

keep the clip. You will end up using it at times.
Life is a process not an event!
MAT888

Post by MAT888 »

Mostly on very small knives like ladebug and such and so the clip is needed for ergonomic purposus......... bla bla on the other hand there are hole integrated small designs that don't need a clip . It all depends on design imho......... :rolleyes:

flatness/thickness and wideness of handleshape are neglected in small designs imho..next to that pre production handling and shaping discarted resulting in having designers opinions bein overruled ... :rolleyes: However spyderco and boker and kershaw and cr and some other brands still keep things focused....
Maarten
member of FFG Club
SoCal Operator

Post by SoCal Operator »

Sometimes when I drive long distances I clip my Cricket to the inside of my left shirtsleeve so it's easier to access.
Ask me where I got my awesome SUPERHAWK!

More like Mid-Cal now

Be Prepared
El Tigre

Post by El Tigre »

RazorSharp86 wrote:I've got a Lava with modified handle. I put two slabs of CF on each side and removed the clip. It fits much nicer now, and definitelly adds to the looks :D
Hello. Welcome to the Spyderco Forums.

Can you post any pictures, please?

"El Tigre"
Folding knives can be classified in two large groups: Spydercos and the rest!

Please be patient, I dont speak english properly.
RazorSharp86

Post by RazorSharp86 »

El Tigre wrote:Hello. Welcome to the Spyderco Forums.

Can you post any pictures, please?

"El Tigre"
I'll post some pix as soon as i figureout how to fix my camera :confused:
probably will post it in the picture gallery section
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Like others here I use my clips for a number of reasons on the LBKs in particular:
1) Using the clip as extra leverage when opening/ closing the blade.
2) Using the clip to 'index' the knife and thus making opening it faster and safer.
3) Using the clip to attach the knife to a pocket or belt so that it is exactly where I placed it last and the angle and orientation it was clipped in.

I do sometimes dump it straight in my pocket. It doesn't matter so much for a small knife whether the clip is on or not. However for a medium to large folder, the clip can sometimes snag on to pocket sides or other items.
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
araneae

Post by araneae »

The clip keeps these little buggers where I want them. Its easy for them to get to the bottom of a pocket unclipped. The clip keeps them ready to go when needed. This is one of the cool things about Chad's Keycom.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal