Lum Dilemma

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MountainManJim

Lum Dilemma

Post by MountainManJim »

So, I have the opportunity to buy a Lum Chinese Folder. I looked to two of them and they both had issues with the finish of the black almite coating. It appears that there a secondary polishing operation that is done along the edge of the aluminum scales which leaves that distinctive silver band. For whatever reason, they continually miss the corners of the scales leaving a smug of black almite and the polished band is a bit wavy. The store agreed to put one of them aside and let me think about. Nice people at this store :)

My problem is I love the knife. It’s very light and compact, but has a health blade. I miss the Spyderco choils, but with the way it fits in the hand they are not really needed. Aside from the almite issues, the knife is beautiful. It would be a wonderful dress knife. The problem is it’s not what I would call cheap. I think it is price a very fair and competitive price, comparable to ZDP Caly, but better :eek: But, for this price I think the fit and finish should be perfect.

I am not a collector. I’m just a user with more than enough Spydies. But, I’m thinking about passing on the Lum and getting a Tasman and Delica Wave instead. Besides, I need to end the obsession with Spydies at some point. Comments?
I Like Sharp Things

Current Favorite: Caly 3.5, Super Blue. We're done here. It doesn't get better than the Caly 3.5
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

i would still get it, its going to be a piece of history either way someday
rlw1979777

Post by rlw1979777 »

Others have reported the same problem when it comes to quality control issues of the new lum. But as RIOT has said it will be as or more popular then the green and the blue in another ten years. By then these little discrepancies in some of them will probably be considered the first ones off the line. Which from what I have seen must be the truth since as the later ones have been coming out the QC has become tighter, ending in better silver lines and more precise almite. I just wish it had a chrome clip and the LUM chop mark on the correct side of the blade. It would have been nice to have them all match, as it should be.
I have a small collection.. At least in my mind its small. All respect to Sal and this great company! Collector Club Member #120
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

What we think, and reality, are sometimes two different things.

If you are offered a knife, and it has even one minor cosmetic issue not shared by any of its brethren, passing on it in favor of a more perfect specimen might be deemed a reasonable course of action.

If however you are talking a model where a given "issue" is the norm, rather than the exception, that action may be less reasonable.

When the "issue" can even be found on earlier runs of the same model, as is the case with the Lum Chinese, where many specimens of the blue and green versions exhibit the same minor imperfection in the removal of almite from the beveled edge of the handle at the butt, expecting it not to exist becomes almost unrealistic.

That's especially true if you intend to use, rather than just dsiplay the knife, the perimeter of aluminum handles tends to become "imperfect" rather quickly.

On the other hand, it might really be better to just leave it available for someone who'd appreciate it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

If the knife functions perfectly and you intend it to be a user I would say go ahead and grab it. That is if the knife fits you better than the other two which you mention (Tasman and Delica Wave ). If the other two are going to be better users for you than the Black Lum, then I would say go for the other two.

When I do manage to score a Black Lum I will be EDCing it for sure and adding it to my many other users. I know that as soon as that almite handle goes into my pocket with whatever crap is in there, the handles will scratch up nicely, so much so that I won't be able to sell it as NIB any more after that...... so it means I can enjoy it until it gets retired :)

Good luck making a decision, not easy, but once you've made up your mind the satisfaction of using the chosen knife is great :D
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
bh49

Post by bh49 »

If you are planning to use it, IMHO all these little things shouldn't be a big concern, if you love the knife and price is right.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
MTMAN

Post by MTMAN »

I have a Green and the Black Lum and love them! The Green Lum does seem to have a nicer fit and finish than the Black one. I bought this knife with the idea of carrying it daily but so far I have only carried it once. It is so shiny and perfect that I don’t think I can bring myself to cut anything with it. I have a military that has been my daily carry and it works great! If you were going to spend $150+ on a knife I would recommend something like the military over the Lum for an EDC. Don’t get me wrong I love the way the Chinese folder looks but it is more of a collector item then a functional tool….. :confused:
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

To me, the Lum Chinese folder is the best marriage of looks and function in a folding knife. I don't consider the finish-dilemma an 'issue', as both my green and blue Lum have the same finish. I regard it as part of the production model, rather than a flaw. If it is a user, you will not be bothered by this supposed flaw.

Then again, if you're not 100% happy with a planned purchase then by all means don't get one, but if that nagging feeling about a 'missed opportunity' is bigger than the disappointment you're expecting then it gets difficult, doesn't it? :D ;)

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Phalanx7.62

Post by Phalanx7.62 »

I have a green chinese in PE and can't bring myself to carry it. I was one of the people bugging Sal for a new one almost 3 years ago now. I am purchasing a black one very soon, but I know I won't be able to carry that one either.

If you are going to carry it, just do it man!

I wish I could get 2 new black ones, one to carry and one to rest next to the green one.
MountainManJim

Post by MountainManJim »

Thanks all for your advice. All great points.

But, Mr. Blonde struck a chord with this comment ...
Mr Blonde wrote: If that nagging feeling about a 'missed opportunity' is bigger than the disappointment you're expecting then it gets difficult, doesn't it?
So, the Lum was purchased, but remains in its' box. It's too nice to have it get scuff :rolleyes:

Jim
I Like Sharp Things

Current Favorite: Caly 3.5, Super Blue. We're done here. It doesn't get better than the Caly 3.5
Falch

Post by Falch »

Was lucky enough to get one myself, and struggeling with my mind as if im gonna use it or not.
In one way the knife in a way gets neglected and loses it's potenial and intended use just laying there in the box, almost an insult to both spyderco and Bob Lum. It was designed, refined and made to be used.
In another way i don't likely see myself getting to buy another one, not alone for that price, and just owning it is a pleasure in itself. Owning a piece that most likely will be the last produced Lum from a creator who sadly is not among us any more.
I WANT to use it, but i dont want it to loose it's crispness/newness (is that a word?) or get broken or worse, lost.

Good thing i got my hands on a FG manix the day before i got the lum in the mail. That knife is seeing ALOT of use :D
:spyder: Delica 4 PE,SE , Salt 1 PE , Native PE , Native 3 PE , Ladybug ss SE , UKPK Black , Forager , Cricket ss PE , Spin ss , Endura 4 FG CE , Wayne Goddard Black , Spydersaw , FG Manix , Black ZDP Chinese :spyder:

...and thirsting for more
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

both my black and green Lums are kept in my safe and not even in my viewing spyderco bags.

to me honestly the Chinese folder isnt a practical carring knife at all, (it looks real cool) but when holding it in my hand i cant see it being a carrier
Henry1960

Post by Henry1960 »

I love my Chinese Folder although i do not have enough pockets for edc (unless i wear my cargo pants) i in my opion this knife is a top five on my list...
Henry

My Wife Say`s I Buy One More Spydie She`s Going To Divorce Me....God I`m Going To Miss Her!!! :rolleyes:
v8r

Post by v8r »

I use all my spydies ,some more than others. You probably would cringe if you saw my TI lum, it is well used scratches and all.It even has knicks in the blade. I recently sent it back to spyderco to get sharpened. I guess my point is don't let some of those cosmetic flaws ( I call them character) bother you that bad ,use it and enjoy it.We only live one life ;)
aj1985

Post by aj1985 »

I myself do a disservice to the many great designers of Spyderco, Sal and countless others if I do not use the knives.

Money is money it comes and goes, but some knives are just meant to be used and appreciated. Look at the people that carry their Striders, sebbies and customs with pride regardless of price.

I use my ti-lum, my large persian, Gunting and delica 25th will get pocket time as soon as I get a sheath for that bad boy. Don't look at the price $200-$500 is a small price to pay for a good knife which will last you a life time. I may have bought some knives to just look at, but not anymore.

Don't think you won't be able to afford another one or you might lose it, because some how some way you will always get another chance to replace it. Use it, appreciate it and enjoy it, because a person needs to use their knives in order to understand the true value of their knife. The real value of a knife is only known when an individual uses it. (atleast in my opinion)

Last week I put the Jot back in my pocket and it made me realize once again why I coveted this knife for so long, and how awesome of a design it truly is.

I think Mark Twain said it best "regret the things you haven't done, do not regret the things you have done"

take care and use em eh

aj
Live in every breath

INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
MountainManJim

Post by MountainManJim »

I have got to disagree with Riot. I would love to EDC the Chinese Folder. For me it just fits my hand like a glove and I'm a big fan of the leaf shaped blade. It looks like the knife would great slicer. And, for some reason I get a tactical feel from how the handle and blade as positioned. Yea, I like this knife.

Jim
I Like Sharp Things

MCM

Post by MCM »

The 1st $100 knife was a big deal!

The $200-$300-$400-$500 mark come's much easier.

Then, to carry it or not to carry it?

Now, ... if I don't someone else down the road will!

Also, some of my $500.00 blades now trade for $1000.00

Reserved for carry on special occasions only.
And the funny thing is, no one knows but me!

But for me its just fun to have a large rotation.

Do I use the nice ones as pry bars? No.

Would I in an emergency? Yes.

I have knifes for everything from yard work, to mech jobs, to a night out on the town.

The hobby can take you into many directions. Don't be surprised if your edc one day is something you never thought you would actually own, let alone use.

Will I carry and use this Lum? Yes, (still waiting on a couple lists? yawn..)

My dilemma is the wait. Have been on the "list" for a couple months now.

Some here have waited years, so I cant complain. But now that there "in" I am ready to run one through its paces.

If its a "great" one. I will have (2). One to use and one as a spare.
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
scdreger

Post by scdreger »

Just carry it. I am carrying mine. I don't believe in buying expensive knives that I will not use. Bob designed it to be used, not hidden away in it's box. ;)