question is the milltary lock this weak

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
lsutigers1010

question is the milltary lock this weak

Post by lsutigers1010 »

Piercieve

Post by Piercieve »

He had a damaged lock or something. Try doing that with a millie. On a cinderblock. with a 50 lb weight on it.
"I ain't looking for confusion, but it tends to follow me."

E4 white, E4 waved SE, Caspian Salt, Crossbill, Mule, white Dragonfly, Boker CLB Desert Subcom, BM Blackwood mini Skirmish,
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Short answer, NO. The Millie was designed when someone asked Sal, if his son or daughter were to enlist and deploy, what would he want them to take with them? It wouldn't be right for me to guess what happened with the Millie shown in the video. There are too many possibilities. I will just say, what you see there, is not normal.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
THG

Post by THG »

I've seen that video before. Looks to me like he opened the knife so that the lock clicks against the tang but is still sitting on the ball detent (lock is not fully engaged). It even looks like he checked to make sure it wasn't engaged all the way, and then he goes to spine-whack it.

I call fake.
DFD04

Post by DFD04 »

Ditto---FAKE!

I have used my Millie's much harder then some idiot's tibia. Stuff like this causes the liner lock to get a bad name.
:spyder: The peace of heaven is theirs that lift their swords, in such a just and charitable war.
-William Shakespeare :spyder:
Vicarious Reality

Post by Vicarious Reality »

Hmm, never thought about that
Dem tings be mine:
PE blue Yojimbo ~ PE blue Dodo ~ ZDP PE Delica ~ s30v Native ~ Military ~ Aus Dragonfly ~ Endura4 ~ Yellow Salt 1 ~ Yellow Pacific Salt ~ 3 byrds and a lot of Cold Steel, Benchmade, Glock, Mora, KA-BAR, Kanetsune, SOG, CRKT, Schrade and misc. crap.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

You can get any lock to do that if you beat on it long enough, I did it with the Chinook III, and you can find videos of the Axis lock doing similar.

Under normal use the security of the lock needs to be checked, yes, but not in a destructive manner. Like some others said, who knows what else he did to the knife to get it to do that. That said, I still prefer a lock with more metal on metal contact.
I have and use several knives with liner locks, I'm just more strict with how I use them.
LowSpeedHighDrag

Post by LowSpeedHighDrag »

I think its real, but its not normal.
MOLON LABE
PSU

Post by PSU »

The video looks legit to me. No sleight of hand.

I could do something similar with the liner lock on my Spyderco Terzuola. It's lock would repeatedly fail with a very light tap to its spine. It was caused by a lack of tension in its lock bar, which prevented it from properly engaging with the tang. I fixed it by taking the knife apart and bending the lock bar slightly to give it more tension. I haven't had an issue with it since.

I would venture to guess that the Millie in that video has the same issue. The locks on the ones that I own sound like a bank vault when they open. The Millie in the video only emits a faint click. It doesn't sound like it has much much tension.

In my experience, liner locks (as well as compression locks) need inspection and occasional maintenance to ensure that they are working properly.
People say, oh it's dangerous to keep weapons in the home, or the workplace. Well I say, it's better to be hurt by someone you know, accidentally, than by a stranger, on purpose. - Dwight The Office

It's okay for me to talk about my job, as long as I'm not specific. I am the Sergeant of a three-man Rapid Tactical Force at one of America's largest indoor retail shopping areas. - Gecko_45

The more you learn about knives, the better Spyderco looks. - Sal
brj

Post by brj »

THG wrote:Looks to me like he opened the knife so that the lock clicks against the tang but is still sitting on the ball detent (lock is not fully engaged).
it surely looks that way
an over-loosened pivot screw and a fake tang engagement (w/ only the ball detent keeping the blade from closing) are the most probably reasons for the strange behaviour of the pictured milli
but why somebody would do a movie like that on purpose, that is beyond me... :confused: :confused:
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

THG wrote:I've seen that video before. Looks to me like he opened the knife so that the lock clicks against the tang but is still sitting on the ball detent (lock is not fully engaged). It even looks like he checked to make sure it wasn't engaged all the way, and then he goes to spine-whack it.

I call fake.
+1 on that.

If you have a dirty contact area and ease the knife open you can get your millie to do this. It might also need a couple of quick openings to break it in.

Normally (with mine at least) I'd need a visit to the ER from doing that before the lock failed...

Sverre
Echo63

Post by Echo63 »

my 440v millie will close like that, just a light tap is enough to get it to unlock
i know spyderco would make it right, but as it just sits in my cabinet i havent sent it back yet - the lock doesnt get worked too hard just sitting there.
power is nothing without control
Shike

Post by Shike »

TazKristi wrote:Short answer, NO. The Millie was designed when someone asked Sal, if his son or daughter were to enlist and deploy, what would he want them to take with them? It wouldn't be right for me to guess what happened with the Millie shown in the video. There are too many possibilities. I will just say, what you see there, is not normal.

Kristi

And there you have it :)
stoneman

Post by stoneman »

why do ppl feel the need to spine whack a knife in the first place? in case your knife got so dull you had to chop something with the spine? never understood that one. It's kind of like taking your car for a test drive in reverse, you could do it, but why would you?
-Steph
-"How many of those spyder thingies do you really need? "-my girlfriend-
_ SERENITY NOW!!!!!- Frank Costanza
THG

Post by THG »

stoneman wrote:why do ppl feel the need to spine whack a knife in the first place? in case your knife got so dull you had to chop something with the spine? never understood that one. It's kind of like taking your car for a test drive in reverse, you could do it, but why would you?
Wow, finally someone who realizes how ridiculous these force-against-the-spine tests are. From spine-whacking to hanging weights against the spine: what's the point? Who cuts with the spine of their knife?

I'll say it again: a good lock test should apply force to the edge, AKA actual cutting simulation.
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

I still don't get why folks need a heavy lock on their knives... what's wrong with a slipjoint and a small fixed blade :rolleyes:

I grew up with slipjoints, never owned a locking knife until I was about 12. If the slipjoint wasn't enough knife or you worried about slipping on a hard cut, there was always a small fixed blade around.

And yet there are numerous companies out there basing their marketing on the locks.

You want to see a liner lock fail? either coat the lock ramp with graphite or get a lubricant on the lock surfaces.
lock backs are highly susceptible to pocket lint in the lock well.

of course if you're taking care of your tools and using them properly the lock retention is the least of your concerns.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
MCM

Post by MCM »

I have an idea.
Let me try this on your leg with my S90V Mili.
lol lol

That video is a bunch of crap.
His leg would have been injured if my example had been used.

:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
PSU

Post by PSU »

THG wrote:Wow, finally someone who realizes how ridiculous these force-against-the-spine tests are. From spine-whacking to hanging weights against the spine: what's the point? Who cuts with the spine of their knife?

I'll say it again: a good lock test should apply force to the edge, AKA actual cutting simulation.
Ummm, that doesn't sound like a good way to test the functionality of a lock. Heck, the slipjoint on my UKPK would pass that type of test with flying colors.
People say, oh it's dangerous to keep weapons in the home, or the workplace. Well I say, it's better to be hurt by someone you know, accidentally, than by a stranger, on purpose. - Dwight The Office

It's okay for me to talk about my job, as long as I'm not specific. I am the Sergeant of a three-man Rapid Tactical Force at one of America's largest indoor retail shopping areas. - Gecko_45

The more you learn about knives, the better Spyderco looks. - Sal
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

No, it's not that weak. There was something wrong with that knife. If he would have sent it in (like I suggested to him on YouTube) Spyderco would have looked at it and fixed it.

We done yet? :)
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
THG

Post by THG »

PSU wrote:Ummm, that doesn't sound like a good way to test the functionality of a lock. Heck, the slipjoint on my UKPK would pass that type of test with flying colors.
Why isn't it a good way to test the lock? How are you using your knife? Personally, I don't cut with the spine, so how is a test that shows that the knife can take 200lbs against the spine relevant? Sure you want a blade to stay up if you knocked the spine, but saying it can hold 200lbs or whatever just doesn't mean very much when in real life situations, the force is going to actually be going in the opposite direction.

So if force against the edge doesn't sound like a good way to test the functionality of a lock.... I'd like to know what is.