Recommend a folder for an outdoor adventurer

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Spygineer

Recommend a folder for an outdoor adventurer

Post by Spygineer »

My brother loves the great outdoors. He spends most of his time on the trails, slopes, and waterways. The other day, I saw him pack a cheap $10 knife for his camping trip, which surprised me. He's a simple guy and doesnt believe in spending a lot of $$ on mateiral things...but I think he deserves something better for his outdoor adventures.

His birthday is just around the corner, and I want to get him an all purpose outdoor knife (folder). Something that is not too big, but can handle heavy duty tasks and can meet many of his outdoor needs. This might be my one chance to introduce him to quality knives and show him the uniqueness and functionality of spyderco knives.

Being a city folk, I dont know much about what an outdoorsman's needs are. But after reading product descriptions, I am leaning towards the Captain. It is uniquely spyderco, heavy duty, medium size, and looks very functional. But, I am open to more experienced recommendations.
I'm Hooked like a hawkbilll!!!:D
Cptdesoya

Post by Cptdesoya »

I know that some people complain about the size of the mili, but IMHO once you get used to it nothing else comes close.

Maybe a para would be perfect for him.
GlenD65

Post by GlenD65 »

Hello Spygineer,

The Captain is a good choice. I personally like a knife with a pointier blade. He might find the Caly3 more versatile. It has sturdy construction and what I think is a very functional and reasonably strong blade shape. It costs a bit less too!

Just my two cents...
MLR

Post by MLR »

Delica 4

light, compact, easily serviceable and not hard or expensive to replace if lost or banged up. maybe an endura 4 if he'll use the extra blade length but the D4 is easier to carry.

as an outdoors adventurer myself, i would never carry a full size millie doing anything with a lot of g-forces (like skiing) because i would want a knife that has a stronger detent keeping it shut.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Outdoors a Para would be great; open design, good handle, not too big blade and a very secure lock.

The Captain is a bit special so I would handle before buying.

If you can find a discontinued :spyder: Lil'Temp at a decent price it is even better :D

Sverre
HaroldB

Post by HaroldB »

With 22 years in Search and Rescue; if I was allowed only one folding Spydie, I would choose the Millie :spyder:
stap2211

How about a black Pacific Salt?

Post by stap2211 »

Easy to sharpen (hollow grind), fairly low profile and conventional looking (thin, flat, Endura 3 handle), very lightweight and time-tested design requiring minimal maintenance (few adjustments ever needed ... just washing and sharpening).

Also, perfect for cleaning fish and deodorizing afterward with a super dilution (one tsp bleach/qt) of chlorine. Still no corrosion ... so it's a fine, folding food- cutting knife as well ... making it fully utilitarian.

If you think he'd appreciate a smooth, compact design, get him a Centofante III which is also a fine, lightweight knife with better edge retention and slicing ability than the P. Salt ... but built with a thinner blade and with a half inch less edge.

A yellow Pacific Salt for enhanced visibilty and friendliness ... is all the better for outdoorsman/backpacker activities shared with others. It's important not to misplace a knife when backpacking ... so a yellow handle is a big bonus to insure against loss. Heck ... I wish it had a micro strobe or glow in the dark feature for locating at night.

Just a couple of tough, simple FRN choices.
GMArthur

Post by GMArthur »

When I head outdoors there is two folders that get the nod. Either a Benchmade 520 or a Spyderco Paramilitary. Since you're looking for a Spydie I'd go with the Para. It has a nice full sized handle, the compression lock is solid no matter if it gets filthy, blade shape and size is ideal for most outdoors needs, the S30V steel will hold a good useful edge for a while, and it's a breeze to clean.

My Para outdoors....

LightHearted

Post by LightHearted »

Yes. I would second the reocmmendation of a yellow Pacific Salt. Mine is just at home in the woods as it is cutting drywall in the garage.

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... ts+sierras
Henry1960

Post by Henry1960 »

Cptdesoya wrote:I know that some people complain about the size of the mili, but IMHO once you get used to it nothing else comes close.

Maybe a para would be perfect for him.
Dito on that.

If $$$ is not a promblem, s90v is my best choice. s30v would also be a great choice if need be.
Henry

My Wife Say`s I Buy One More Spydie She`s Going To Divorce Me....God I`m Going To Miss Her!!! :rolleyes:
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

Military
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Aqua Salt Plain Edge.

Fixed blade is a better choice in the woods because there is less to break & no place for debris to clutter up. A plain edge is also more useful that a serrated edge for most woods-use tasks.

If you must go folder an open back design would be good. Since it might be called into hard use you'll want a strong lock. A ParaMilitary fills both those criteria. Even though they are not an open design, I'd also recommend the Manix & MiniManix.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

A fixed blade would be better.
Its up there in price but on the low end right now because of many people selling them off.Go with a Busse Combat Active Duty or Game Warden.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
catamount

Post by catamount »

I agree with those who have recommended a yellow Pacific Salt SE. It's a light weight, yet rugged, very low maintenance :spyder: that will serve him well for a long time.
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
Piercieve

Post by Piercieve »

Agreed. Definitely think about a fixed blade. If he's out in the woods all the time it wouldn't be a big deal to have a sheath on his side.
"I ain't looking for confusion, but it tends to follow me."

E4 white, E4 waved SE, Caspian Salt, Crossbill, Mule, white Dragonfly, Boker CLB Desert Subcom, BM Blackwood mini Skirmish,
Irish Lager

Post by Irish Lager »

if you are looking for an all purpose knife for a reasonable price, you cant go wrong w/ either the delica or endura (depending on what size you think he would prefer), personally id go w/ the endura. if thats still a little steep for you, the cara cara is a great knife. i use mine at work and it has held up well to some pretty heavy use.

J
Say what you mean, Mean what you say! :spyder:

brj

Post by brj »

I usually use a Military when trekking/backpacking, but on my latest trip I have discovered what a marvellous tool the Kris is !!!
From food preparation to whittling wood, that 'wavy' blade went through everything and begged for more ;) :D
It was also heftier than the millie and the constant weight clipped inside my pocket was somehow reassuring... just loved that feeling. I'd suggest you try to handle one and see if it could work for your friend
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Halfneck wrote:Aqua Salt Plain Edge.

Fixed blade is a better choice in the woods because there is less to break & no place for debris to clutter up. A plain edge is also more useful that a serrated edge for most woods-use tasks.

If you must go folder an open back design would be good. Since it might be called into hard use you'll want a strong lock. A ParaMilitary fills both those criteria. Even though they are not an open design, I'd also recommend the Manix & MiniManix.

The Aqua Salt is great. Get one in yellow and he won't loose it. Mine can whittle hair :eek: and sharpens up easy.

I recommended a Para, but I prefer the Millie myself. Thought you'd think it was too big.

Sverre

PS! Getting a Millie in S90V might not be a good idea unless he is proficient in sharpening high end steels. S30V is still a great steel :)
whovey

Post by whovey »

Sometimes, smaller is better. Since he is a hiker, light weight will be one of his criteria. For a first knife, I would recommend either the Native or the Delica. Both are well designed, well made knives constructed with exceptional materials, and for their size are remarkably light weight. Once he starts using it, he will probably start carrying it every day. The smaller knife also fits more comfortibly in a pocket.
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

I realize you are thinking of a folder, but for the woods, I too would recommend a fixed blade. I think the best thing is the :spyder: Bill Moran fixed blade. It is perfect for most bushcraft tasks, comes with a sheath, and is one of the best priced Spydie $$ deals out there. There are even two blade styles to choose from: drop point and upswept. I've got both these knives and highly recommend them for the woods. :)