Spyderco C09 CoPilot Varieties

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

That's a problem with much of the aftermarket modified stuff you see on the secondary market. After the first owner or two, provenance seems to get lost. Does look typical for Cutlery Shoppe or whoever actually did the work for them. Their pearl onlays are made up of several pieces of pearl, and all their onlays are set back from edge of handle and most that I've seen partially, but not fully, surround the lanyard hole.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
CopilotATS-55

Post by CopilotATS-55 »

Those are all really cool. I still love my ATS-55 one my dad gave me :)
Kyle Decker wasn't here !!! :D :eek:

"Avatar by Dialex
REMEMBER
SFC SHUGART & MSG GORDON

Im still here, just busy being a Senior!!! :D
PNXC

PN
Wrestling

Never Forget 9/11

VMI
10'+3
The CoPilot

Post by The CoPilot »

Had to kick this thread back up to the top for some air after a couple of years. Don't have any new Copilot varieties to add to it just yet but I'm sure there are more out there. Keep your eyes open!
><> The most important blood trail leads to the Cross <><
C09 CoPilots My Specialty
Integrity is Being Good Even if No One is WatchingTM
Looking for: C04 Executive plain edge, C09 CoPilot plain edge with brass liners and a G-2 marked blade
BladePlay

Post by BladePlay »

Your CoPilots look like a Lexus to me. :p Everything in one compact design. Great work CoPilot & Spyderco! :D

[align=]“There never was a good knife made of bad steel”[/align]
Tigerski

Post by Tigerski »

I just purchased a brassed lined Hoffritz spyderedge co-pilot in mint condition. I really like this knife and the history behind it. Thanks for the interesting reading! I also have a plain edge left handed brassed lined co-pilot as well. Love the knife!
The CoPilot

Post by The CoPilot »

Tigerski wrote:I just purchased a brassed lined Hoffritz spyderedge co-pilot in mint condition. I really like this knife and the history behind it. Thanks for the interesting reading! I also have a plain edge left handed brassed lined co-pilot as well. Love the knife!
You've got two hard-to-find Copilots there. The brass-lined lefty PEs were a very limited production to begin with (about 120 pieces total) and were thought to be all but extinct until a small NIB group of them popped up on eBay just recently. The Hoffritz is interesting but I consider it an aftermarket variety rather than a factory-produced piece.
Looking for: C04 Executive plain edge, C09 CoPilot plain edge with brass liners and a G-2 marked blade
RoBoTech

I just purchased this

Post by RoBoTech »

It was advertised as a cricket, but we know better.
I manged to get it, NIB for 60.00
has anyone else seen this one?
RoBoTech

Post by RoBoTech »

RoBoTech wrote:Image

It was advertised as a cricket, but we know better.
I manged to get it, NIB for 60.00
has anyone else seen this one?
Finally received this knife, today. No Box, but absolutely looks unused.
just wondering if anyone has seen this Co-Pilot, or if it is a 3rd party one of a kind inlay?
Is it worth the $60.00 I paid?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Am sure someone paid considerably more than that for it when it was new. Whether anyone would do so now is a matter of conjecture. With only rare exceptions, Spydercos with aftermarket embellishment are not highly sought after and those where the artist is not known are the least in demand.

OTOH, that almost looks like something the maker, G Sakai, may have done for the Japanese market. You might consider contacting them and finding out if that's the case.
Paul
RoBoTech

Post by RoBoTech »

The Deacon wrote:OTOH, that almost looks like something the maker, G Sakai, may have done for the Japanese market. You might consider contacting them and finding out if that's the case.
I will contact them, maybe get a little info/history, IF any is available.
RoBoTech

Post by RoBoTech »

Doing some research and found nothing on G. Skai and an owl inlay.
There is a mention of a Spyderco Sprint run here on post #11
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24818
there is also a mention of the Hamonoichiba Owl on this thread on post #9.
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9284
I am still looking
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

RoBoTech wrote:Doing some research and found nothing on G. Skai and an owl inlay.
There is a mention of a Spyderco Sprint run here on post #11
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24818
there is also a mention of the Hamonoichiba Owl on this thread on post #9.
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9284
I am still looking
Sprint CoPilot had a black Almite coated aluminum handle, no embellishment. Picture here.

Sounds like Java was talking about Crickets when he mentioned the Hamonoichiba Owl. No idea of what it looked like, but that thread may have been where I got the idea of the owl being something done for the Japanese market and I wouldn't be surprised if it was done for them by G Sakai. In case you do not know, Hamonoichiba is a large Japanese knife dealer and G Sakai is the maker of many of Spyderco's models which are made in Japan. Contacting them directly might still be worthwhile.
Paul
RoBoTech

Post by RoBoTech »

The Deacon wrote:G Sakai is the maker of many of Spyderco's models which are made in Japan. Contacting them directly might still be worthwhile.
Yeah, I am going to do that.
I am not sure that all "custom Spydercos" were sprint runs.
I have read that some customs from Stoneworks and such were distributed through Spyderco in the early years, before the concept of Sprint run.
But, I certainly don't know the story on this one.
Trying to, but, we'll see.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

In the early 90's Spyderco sold knives embellished by Santa Fe Stoneworks, David Yellowhorse, and Gary Blanchard. Each of them has a distictive style, none of them did anything remotely like your owl. Each of them also continued to embellish Spyderco knives after that an market them directly. As suggested in that one thread you found, Sprint Run is a fairly recently coined term. The concept of limited editions goes back way before the name. Still not sure if any of the embellished pieces Spyderco sold at that time would fit that definition. To me, that would hinge on whether Spyderco paid to have the embellishment done, then sold the knives, or whether Spyderco was simply marketing them after selling them to whoever did the embellishment.

One question. It's impossible for me to tell from the photo, is the owl an inlay or an overlay?
Paul
RoBoTech

Post by RoBoTech »

It is an inlay
The CoPilot

Post by The CoPilot »

A few years ago I member the "Owl" being listed on Hamonoichiba. But if I recall the stock photo they showed looked like a standard Copilot. This is the first one I've seen with an inlay of an owl on it and don't think it's a huge stretch to think it might be the Japanese product that Hamonoichiba had listed. I think the chances of your knife being a G. Sakai aftermarket embellishment might be pretty good.
SpyderObsessed

Post by SpyderObsessed »

Hey guys. I recently sold my C09 (Technically 1009-R PLN) Co Pilot with brass liners for $60. It killed me to sell it, yet alone so cheaply. Christmas was coming up though and with two little girls and paying to travel to see family I had to liquidate some knives.

Looking into co pilots has got me kicking myself in the butt lately, as I sold possibly one of the rarest ones. Sal, how rare were these things?

Plain edged, brass liners, G-2 steel marking.

It wont let me post pics because the files are too large.
The CoPilot

Re: Spyderco C09 CoPilot Varieties

Post by The CoPilot »

Just and to kick this thread back up for a breath of fresh air! :)
euphorbioid

Post by euphorbioid »

Wow, that's quite a collection. Congratulations on putting it together. Any idea why they made the early models with 0,1 or 2 brass liners? The brass is pretty cool looking but does it really do anything else?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Amazing! Thanks
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050