Which Knife "Represents" Spyderco To You?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Water Bug

Which Knife "Represents" Spyderco To You?

Post by Water Bug »

Okay, I did a search and could not find this as a topic, so here goes...

For you, when you hear or see the word "Spyderco," which :spyder: comes to mind, right off the bat, each and every time?

For me, the SS Police in SE is the first :spyder: that comes to mind. Even though I'd choose a Military or a Manix as a large EDC over a Police in most cases, it's been the SS Police in SE that immediately comes to mind as a representative model for Spyderco. I don't know why, but that's just the way it is.

How about you?
McBain

Post by McBain »

For me, it's the Caly III. The leaf shape blade, spyderhole and wire clip scream SPYDERCO to me!!!

The Paramilitary is a very close 2nd
-The children are right to laugh at you Ralph, these things couldn't cut butter-
bdws1975

Post by bdws1975 »

delica hands down. It's the first knife I ever saw from spyderco. it's always held that spot in my heart.

brett
gandalfe

Post by gandalfe »

It's the first knife I reach for when I go camping, Endura 4.
LowTEC

Post by LowTEC »

Caly3 would be best to represent :spyder: to those haven't own a pocket knife before, it's elegant, it's got perfect ergonomic, and it's got the best steel and handle ZDP/CF that's it
LBK3S|C52BK|C106PYL|745|943|C08CFS|C52m|C36GPBK|C10GPFG|1003UBK2|14210|C123CFP|C81FG
C28WH|1600DAM|C105|RC4S|C51GPFG|1735OR|830675|C90CF|C123TIP|CS97KMS|BRKT-CS|BRKT-MC
BRKT-LC3V|C101XHP
Salamander42

Post by Salamander42 »

It's a toss up between the Dragonfly, my first Spydie, and the Waved Delica 4, my favorite.
ken

Post by ken »

Water Bug wrote:Okay, I did a search and could not find this as a topic, so here goes...

For you, when you hear or see the word "Spyderco," which :spyder: comes to mind, right off the bat, each and every time?

For me, the SS Police in SE is the first :spyder: that comes to mind. Even though I'd choose a Military or a Manix as a large EDC over a Police in most cases, it's been the SS Police in SE that immediately comes to mind as a representative model for Spyderco. I don't know why, but that's just the way it is.

How about you?

This is a very good topic you started!

IMO it would be the Delica or the Endura...these two are Spyderco's flagship models. It's like what the commander is to Emerson.
Although my very first spydie was the Hunter model followed by there first item the Sharpmaker....

ken
ken
tigerose123

for me.....

Post by tigerose123 »

... its a cricket mostly just because its the first spyderco I was introduced to. When I started my job, my manager used one for her edc. It was an SS SE. A few weeks later I bought one, it was my first spyderco :spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
TxR

FRN Endura PE
SS Cricket SE
FRN Delica SE
FRN Native PE
SS Harpy SE
G10 Caly3 SE 089
G10 Barong PE
G10 Military PE:spyder:
FRN Jester PE:spyder:
52100 Mule Team PE 122
SS Dragonfly PE
White FRN Dragonfly PE
Grey FRN Endura Wave PE
MOP/Abalone Kiwi PE:spyder:

EDC: Kiwi, Military, Jester

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE:
rlw1979777

Post by rlw1979777 »

Old School Merlin. Bought one when I was about 13 at a flee market. had all kinds of others, but once I got that one the others just went away. I was amazed at how much energy was put into its design. Awsome knife and made me enter the addiction. In fact I still have that old merlin in my tool box.
I have a small collection.. At least in my mind its small. All respect to Sal and this great company! Collector Club Member #120
DFD04

Post by DFD04 »

Endura. This is a classic in my mind. It represents a nice size, and has a great grip. This knife has changed over time and represents progress in the design, yet remains a classic. Oh yeah, don't forget its little bro the Delica too.
:spyder: The peace of heaven is theirs that lift their swords, in such a just and charitable war.
-William Shakespeare :spyder:
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

For me it has to be the C01 Worker. I mean it's the first knife they made. I would really like to see the Worker brought back at least one more time if for no other reason than to get it in the hands of more people. It's such a good knife. I've handled them and used them but never owned one. I really think this knife is what represents Spyderco to me.

Second place would have to go to the Delica 3. I think it's probably still one of the best knives Spyderco has ever made.

Good thread! Image
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
araneae

Post by araneae »

Definitely a Delica. When I think Spyderco I think of the Delica. It is just plain and simple one of the best knives ever made to be used by the average person or knife afi. Its well built using top quality materials, its affordable, and has great ergonomics, plus it gets better with time. Its the classic Spydie IMO.

You basically can say the same for the Endura.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Delica - bread and butter Spyderco for sure. Simplicity, functionality, affordability :)
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

Some may think it's an odd choice, but to me, the quintessential Spyderco is the Ed Schempp Kris. Not only was it my first :spyder: , but when I first saw it, I was totally blown away! I'd never seen a folder like it before and it stood out from all the thousands of other knives and knife companies out there. The Kris is what hooked me up with Spyderco and then allowed me to discover some of the other great knives like the Delica, Endura, etc.
Eazy_tom

Post by Eazy_tom »

Civilian, SS police, rookie.
The civilian just because its so unique, the SS police because it was the first spyderco I've ever seen, and the Rookie because it just looks like a police.
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

i guess id wanna say delica also cuz its the original one to me. but seeing as how i own no delicas ill say its def the big bro endura. great knife also my first spydie :D
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

Endura. It was the first spyderco I bought a long time ago. Jester came second (for me), but looked like a mini-endura.
rorschach

Post by rorschach »

Military.
Easy one for me, years ago I was introduced to Spyderco by a guy I worked with who always carried this as EDC. My first recollection is him using it to open a bag of chips and I thought "Holy crap!"

:][:
-Rorschach :][: RHOS
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I agree with Water Bug. While the serrated SS Police is far from my favorite Spyderco model, it's the first one that pops into mind when somebody says Spyderco.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
AUXCOM

Post by AUXCOM »

For me it's got to be the SS Serrated Worker. 1st one I saw and 1st one I ever owned
" As Iron Sharpens Iron, So one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17