How do you USE your Military?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MLR

How do you USE your Military?

Post by MLR »

So I just picked up a CF / BG42 Military because I always wanted one and they are getting scarce in the usual spots online. It is freaking huge.

Now that I have it, I'm wondering what use I can find for it in which I wouldn't otherwise reach for my Para. So what are some of the reasons y'all reach for a Millie instead of smaller, similar blades?

Interesting fact about the Military: it actually carries more descreetly than the Para since there is less handle above the clip.
bdws1975

Post by bdws1975 »

I really like the millie but it's just TOO big for me. I don't use very large knives and the 4 inch blade is just too much for me.

It's a gorgeous knife though. I'm sure you can use it and abuse it like the para.

Take care,
Brett
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I use mine for pretty much everything. The extra blade length comes in handy for slicing watermelons. ;)
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
ChapmanPreferred

Pretty much anything for me

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

I just used my S90V Military to free a 4" cast aluminum fitting from a bulk hose used to empty sand from a container trailer into a bulk blasting pot. My boss, who is a good man, reached for his leatherman Wave and tried to stab through the tough hose. He quickly decided that wasn't going to work and started walking away to get a power saw. I said, do you want me to cut it? and so out popped my Military to take care of business. I sharpen all of his knives so he was not surprised that I had a sharp tool to get the job done. It got some gummy stuff on the blade, but no damage at all. That cutting job did take the fine razor edge down a notch, but it was still quite sharp. I did not make time to clean the goo off for almost 48 hours with no ill effect to the blade surface at all.

I always have more than one knife on me so I was still able to cut up my lunch with a clean blade! :)

I have carried a BG42 Military before and loved finding cutting chores that "required" it's attention! I have told lots of people that knives can be like a woman's first diamond ring. It seems huge when it is first put on her hand, but it gets "smaller" with time (ie you get acustomed to it).

Great model! You have an excellent tool. Use it well.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
DRod

Post by DRod »

Haha. Great analogy.

I use mine to trim boxes, debur parts with the spine, cut coolant lines for my machines. And on occasion, cut a steak or watermelons. :)
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey.
Give us clear vision, that we may know where to stand and what to stand for - because unless we stand for something, we shall fall for anything.
~ Peter Marshall, US Senate Chaplain 1947
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

dczippo wrote:I have told lots of people that knives can be like a woman's first diamond ring. It seems huge when it is first put on her hand, but it gets "smaller" with time (ie you get acustomed to it).
Great analogy! We miss you!

Taz
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

I bought the Military because it is a large folder. Here's my reason...

I EDC my Buck 110 Folding Hunter sheathed to my belt along with the Military, Manix, or one of my other large :spyder: s clipped to my pocket (it's a partnership, if you will). In those situations where it's not PC to visibly carry a large folder sheathed to my belt, but I still need a large folder, I leave the Buck home and clip the Military, et. al., in my pocket for a more discreet carry.

And, as noted, it does start looking "smaller" the longer you have it and the more you handle it. That extra inch or so does make a big difference in certain cutting situations, especially with the blade design the Military has.
DFD04

Post by DFD04 »

TazKristi wrote:Great analogy! We miss you!

Taz
+1 Glad to hear you have a S90V. Take care bro.
:spyder: The peace of heaven is theirs that lift their swords, in such a just and charitable war.
-William Shakespeare :spyder:
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

I carried one for years because I have large hands,I would cut myself on most smaller knives but the size of the Military fit my hand better.
Funny how I can not tell any difference between having the UKPK in my pocket or the Military.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
LowSpeedHighDrag

Post by LowSpeedHighDrag »

My millie opens MREs, cuts cord, and just about whatever else I need. It sees alot of use. In fact, I just bought another one about 5 minutes ago on Ebay.
MOLON LABE
Billy

Post by Billy »

My Millies do everything that needs doing while they are riding in my pocket. From opening letters to quartering chickens. I also often carry an Endura or a "large" Schempp model and find that the extra 1/4" and flat spine on the Military comes in handy quite often around the kitchen. I have a G-10 S30V, FG D2 and CF BG-42 and the BG-42 is my favorite Military (barely edging out the FG D2) and probably the one knife in my collection I would keep if forced to make that decision. I bought a Para after having Militaries, and was thinking the same thing (why bother with the bigger Millie) but now it's the Paras that sit lonely and hardly used while the Millies get all the pocket time.

Oh yeah, as has been mentioned, beware of shrinkage - it may seem big now, but soon it will seem normal and everything else will seem, well, just a tad on the small side. :D
I prefer to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
I LOVE MY MILLIES
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Henry1960

Post by Henry1960 »

I use my s90v Millie on the weekend only for reason in ct. the law say`s 4" knifes are not alowed for EDC. :mad: But sometimes i cheat :eek: Anyway I have used this great knife for cutting branches,steaks on the grill, boxes,plastics,rugs,ect. You will be very happy with your new EDC :D
Henry

My Wife Say`s I Buy One More Spydie She`s Going To Divorce Me....God I`m Going To Miss Her!!! :rolleyes:
MCM

Post by MCM »

Great light weight EDC.
After I smoothed & polished the CF and moved the clip my S90v is about perfect.
Slides out of the pocket with ease.....
DRod

Post by DRod »

So far today, helping my brother, I 86ed some manilla rope for a swing set. Probably whip it back out for some reason putting up some hurricane window planks. hah.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey.
Give us clear vision, that we may know where to stand and what to stand for - because unless we stand for something, we shall fall for anything.
~ Peter Marshall, US Senate Chaplain 1947
LowSpeedHighDrag

Post by LowSpeedHighDrag »

MCM, thats beautiful! I will always say the only negative to the millie is the clip placement, looks like you remedied that!
MOLON LABE
asfaltpiloot

Post by asfaltpiloot »

Very carefully. Don't wanna loose a finger :D
Robert

"Never leave home without a knife,
one day it may save a life"
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

General EDC... from opening packages, to stripping and cutting wires, to cooking supper.

The millie shares the right/front rotation with my kris and lil temp, and neck carry with the spur and my 'fly... so it's usually on me. Gotta love being able to get a good grip on a knife rather than have a finger falling off the back end.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I use mine for all the jobs the smaller blades do, but the Millie definitely shines for food prep. It just slices and dices like a real chef's knife.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

I use mine for everything except prying and battoning.

The extra inch it has over the Caly3, Para and Delica really come in handy when I use it for food prep.

After using it for a few years the Millie seems just right and everything else seems a bit small :D

The Stretch II is almost as big and a bit more office friendly though...

Sverre
brj

Post by brj »

I use my Millies for most tasks, since a Mili is always (well, except when sleeping) on my person

it is always a pleasure to use for food prep and especially nice in winter times, when shovelling snow and discovering that you can actually use the millie for whatever reason without having to take off your warm & cozy gloves ;)

the most inappropriate use was in a toy store, when buying my 4 yrs old daughter a doll - she wanted the package open when we we still in front of the cashier lady, and she told me "c'mon dad, why don't you use the folding knife you carry in the right pocket" so I had to pull out the knife and cut open the package & zip ties in front of the somehow dazzled cashier :eek: ; since then I've developped a habit of carrying a cricket in my wallet