Lost Santoku

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Clay Kesting

Lost Santoku

Post by Clay Kesting »

I'm a simple man with simple tastes :D . I don't drink or smoke (anymore ;) ), like to paddle my kayak on my day off, and like nothing better than pottering around the kitchen whipping up a stir fry or a stew. My Santoku was one of my oldest :spyder: 's and one of my favourites. I even had a kydex sheath made for it so I could take it away on holidays, that was my first mistake. Several weeks ago we went up to the "outlaws" at Lake Macquarie for a few days and I took the Santoku so I could help with the cooking. For the first time ever I forgot to pack it for the return trip and now it's disappeared. My mother-in-law gave it to my brother-in-law to bring back down and somehow he's managed to lose it on a 2 hour drive :mad: . I won't say what I really feel about him in case my wife sees this post but you can fill in the blanks. I'm going to hit him for the cost a nice, damascus santoku but it won't be a :spyder: :( .

clay
"The best boats are either small enough to carry home, or big enough to live on." Phillip C. Bolger (1927-2009)
PSU

Post by PSU »

That bites! The Santoku and the Homemaker are my favorite knives in the kitchen. They are probably used more than any other knife I own. I can feel your pain :(
People say, oh it's dangerous to keep weapons in the home, or the workplace. Well I say, it's better to be hurt by someone you know, accidentally, than by a stranger, on purpose. - Dwight The Office

It's okay for me to talk about my job, as long as I'm not specific. I am the Sergeant of a three-man Rapid Tactical Force at one of America's largest indoor retail shopping areas. - Gecko_45

The more you learn about knives, the better Spyderco looks. - Sal
Gijins

Post by Gijins »

dang :( . sounds like a pricey bit of steel with some sentoment.wats that gonna cost him to replace??
spyderknut

Post by spyderknut »

I travel with a Sharpmaker including diamond rods. I can at least make whatever crap knife serviceable. It is more help than I'd be in the kitchen anyhow. I have been known to use visits as recon for Christmas or other gift giving. Send a Ying and hopefully I won't have to work as hard the next time I visit.
"There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing." -- my grandfather
Collector #041
Dr. Snubnose

We can fix that problem

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Tough luck there Clay....I was very disappointed when Spyderco discontinued my beloved Santoku...(the only kitchen knife the wife and I ever use)...I really feel your pain...this is why I bought 4 of them and put them away....I'm still using the one I bought close to 15 years ago....I'll tell you what knifebro, you PM me your snail mail addy and I'll be only happy to send a new one (one of the ones I put away for myself.)
I can imagine what life would be like without a Santoku. Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Ouch, that's bad! Santoku is very hard to find nowadays, I wish a had a source for you.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
ChapmanPreferred

Think I saw one last time I visited...

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Country Knives in Intercourse, PA. Funny name for a town, but great resource for old Spyderco knives. I'm about 2 hours from their store. Have the nob-in-law call them and place an order to be delivered to your address.

When I visited all 3 people behind the counter I talked to had Spyderco's on their pockets. One had a ZDP Endura, one had a ZDP Delica, and the last one was actually in the pocket and was a Dyad Jr. with no clip.

Cheers.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]