Rookie Review and Pictures

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
markg

Rookie Review and Pictures

Post by markg »

After a 10 year wait... My Rookie has arrived...

The first thing you notice about the Rookie is the size. It freaks you out a bit, it is rather, well "diminutive" to say the least. In reality, as we will see, it is not much smaller than most of the Spyderco "light-heavy weights," however the over all package seem rather small. Part of the reason is, that we think of it as a "Mini-Police" model, and the Police Model is just downright huge. The Rookie fits well within the size of the Delica, Caly Jr. and the Native (as pictured below)

What really sets the Rookie apart is how slim it is, this is because of the single liner construction. It is both light and slim. In a knife this size, I would not really get too worked up about a single liner construction, it should handle just fine. However it gives it a very slim profile. The following picture should illustrate this, this is a group shot with the knives laying down. The Native on the left dwarfs the Rookie in width!

I have medium sized hands, and I can get a full four finger grip on the knife. The blade of the Rookie is Delica in size, so it should handle most tasks. It is also not flat ground, as the new Police Model.

One of the things you really notice about this knife... It is cute. It looks rather handsome. The foliage green G-10 and the silver clip look great together. The design does show some age, with a lack of spine jimping and not finger choil.

The Rookie should make a great gents knife, office carry, or a knife when you need a 3 inch blade, but don't want to look like you have one.

I am happy I got mine, some 10 years removed. :)
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Hey Mark,

Awesome review as usual. I will have to pick one of these up if for no other reason that I do not have an "older" Spydie and this is really a classic somewhat updated. I like that it still has the old school clip on it too.

Nice pics by the way.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

I have got to stop opening these Rookie threads.....

I didn't realize it was that thin, it would be he perfect dress up sub when the E4 G10 is just a bit too big, weddings and such. (who an I kidding, I just want one.)
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal
dialex

Post by dialex »

Thanks for the great pics and for the review. The Rookie is one of those knives you use to say about "they don't make stuff like this anymore"...
Fortunately our good Sal spoils us from time to time with a blast from the past - even with some added flavour (like VG-10 and olive drab G-10). :)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
scout

Post by scout »

I love my Kopa for the office, but that Rookie would be just the thing for a little more blade length. :cool:
JspyEDC

Post by JspyEDC »

I don't carry tip-up unless I am in the mood, or feel like I can add a knife to the left front pocket. The Rookie makes me want to carry a Spydie in both front pockets. Great size, and I too love the old clip style.
Spyderco Collector #162
Spygineer

Post by Spygineer »

Darn it! Since purchasing a delica, I can't seem to justify getting one of these babies! I'm really fighting the urge to get one. How do you guys convice yourselves to get similar size knives (aside from being collectors of course)???

Man, I just know I'll end up getting one.
I'm Hooked like a hawkbilll!!!:D
THG

Post by THG »

Spygineer wrote:How do you guys convice yourselves to get similar size knives (aside from being collectors of course)???
Seriously. I'm looking for a new, tough knife. I've been looking at the Native and Caly, but I can't justify getting something the same size as the 3" Delica I already have. So I made it a point that it has to be 3.5" or greater.

I'd love to get the Native or Caly, but my wallet doesn't allow :(
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

True, the Rookie is comparable to the Delica 4 and Caly3 in size and, no doubt, function; however, I look at it as a re-introduction of a classic and an opportunity to have one. I say, take advantage of the opportunity. :)
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

Thanks for the review and pics.

I never realized how small and slim the rookie is, a "cute" knife indeed!
BOK

Post by BOK »

Just got mine today. It truly is a slim knife, just dissapears into my pocket. This one is gonna bump my small Seb out of rotation for the next little while.
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

My "old school" Rookie(all stainless steel model) has knocked my Seb out of my pocket since I got it a week-or-so ago. I just love the amount of blade relative to the handle. Amazing knife.
I see a G-10 model in my future :spyder: :)
Spyopera
SFKW sugilite Kiwi
CRK Small Sebenza 31
Far too many sold...:o

Trusting my own experience
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Thanks for the nice review and pics. The Rookie is just too lefty-unfriendly for me, especially with the G10 Delica already in my possession, the Rookie didn't make the cut for me.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
Alex in germany

Post by Alex in germany »

Nice Pic´s and review.

I have now a Rookie on order :rolleyes:

Alex
"It is useless for sheep to pass resolutions for vegetarianism, as long as the wolves remain of a different opinion." William Ralph Inge
RNuckolls

Do have a catholic wedding do you have to get married in a church?

Post by RNuckolls »

I'm planning my friends wedding and her cousin is a priest who they'd like to have conduct the vows.

They want a catholic wedding, one honored by the church, but they want to have a outdoor wedding as well. As Catholic's are we allowed to be wed outside the church or does it need to be in a church in order to have your wedding blessed by the church?
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

Thanks for the review
Your comparison pictures are great. I was going to get a g10 dragonfly in two weeks but now i think the Rookie will take its place for next months Spyderco purchase.
Thank you
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

Wow!
I just noticed how old this is, but its still a good review.
markg

Post by markg »

Yea, I was like... Wow look at that!!!
jack123

Do have a catholic wedding do you have to get married in a church?

Post by jack123 »

In order for it to be a Catholic wedding and seen as a marriage by the Catholic church, you must be married in a Catholic church. Because of the strong stance the Catholic church has on weddings, your friend's cousin will not be able to perform the ceremony or even appear there as a priest unless it is in a church.

I had some very dear friends of mine be excommunicated for "living in sin" because their marriage wasn't performed in a church. They had it in a nondenominational chapel of a location that meant a great deal to them. It didn't make any difference to the church. They were still considered to not be married.

Your friend needs to decide what is more important, an outdoor wedding, or a Catholic wedding.

Good luck.
mobi

Post by mobi »

Sweet knife it is a good candidate as a gents edc with a good dose of extra performance got to love the lines in this and the police absolute classics.