ED Schempp Persian Sprint Run?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Large Persian Sprint Run?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:35 pm

Yes
85%
No
15%

Total votes: 93

ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

The Deacon wrote:+1 Roman. G=10 scales on the regular (bolstered) Persian would be fine. G-10 isn't super expensive and I could always have it replaced. No bolsters, on the other hand, would be a definite deal breaker. They're a major part of the original's appeal.
+1 another one from me. I too hope this isn't the case. Part of the appeal of the Persian is the bolsters and the grind. No G10 would be best, but scales replacement is the other option. I've got a Persian coming from Brad sometime soon which will hopefully look the bomb :D and I hope that the new sprint run will be something close to that :p
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Halfneck wrote:Oh yeah, forgot this one.

FFG Persian with G10 scales & no bolsters.

Ok so it's not a pretty model, but I liked it.
If this is true it will save me some money... Too many mid sized utility Spydies for it to compete with. I want a classy one, bolsters and micarta is needed on this one.

Sverre
Jowens

Post by Jowens »

Halfneck wrote:Then you will like the Delica I saw in with the prototypes.
Go on...........
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

MCM wrote: CF, SS Bolsters, S90v

Endless possibilities, But sKip the FFG/G-10 for me.........please.. :D
CF with SS Bolsters and S90V would be the BOMB!!!!!!! Close to the originals classy look just with awesome upgraded materials!

OMG I need one ;) lol

Have to say wouldn't be too wild about a full G10 with FFG blade, Just because it isn't a Persian then :( Persian must be classy :) I miss mine a lot!
Vic
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

No bolsters! WTH!
I don`t mind G-10, but polish it to give it the Micarta look. Please put some bolsters on it! And FFG´...its not a utility blade, we don`t need the best slicing performance... :(
spyderfly

I vote Yes for a sprint run large persian.

Post by spyderfly »

I have one done at Santa-Fe with gold mop and malachite.

[ATTACH][ATTACH]14820[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Attachments
DSC00196.jpg
DSC00196.jpg (20.41 KiB) Viewed 1684 times
DSC00194(1).jpg
DSC00194(1).jpg (22.26 KiB) Viewed 1760 times
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

A C83 Persian Sprint Run with full flat grind and no bolsters, no micarta/wood, only foliage green G-10?!? :eek:

In other news, Oreo cookies will no longer have filling, Christmas will have no longer have Christmas trees, taxes will go up by 100%, and bikinis will be banned at beaches. :(
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

Doc Pyres wrote:A C83 Persian Sprint Run with full flat grind and no bolsters, no micarta/wood, only foliage green G-10?!? :eek:

In other news, Oreo cookies will no longer have filling, Christmas will have no longer have Christmas trees, taxes will go up by 100%, and bikinis will be banned at beaches. :(
lmao!

I agree, a bolsterless full G10 version with a FFG is not a Persian lol
Vic
Dagon

Post by Dagon »

I have the classic big Persian, and the small one as well. Both are lovely. For a new variant, I am not sure that bolsters are really that mandatory. It might be interesting to see one with full wooden (say, snakewood for example) or bone handles.
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

Honestly I'd definitely be keen to pick up a FFG G10 C83. While it might not have the aesthetic appeal of the original bolstered C83, it would give some us a chance to really appreciate the Persian's potential as a utility knife. I know many of us (myself included) don't really give the C83 a true work out due to it's relative scarcity. And nor do I wish to compromise my one and only C83's original design by giving it a FFG.
The G10 scale / platform will provide ample opportunity for customization, and if that's not enough Sal did mention that he was testing another product for stabilization for use with the Persian. Now that sounds like we've got two Persian sprints on the Go. Nice work Sal & Ed ! :D

Jez
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

I would buy at least 1 FFG G-10 persian, but I would buy at least 2 bolstered Persians.
On order: Maxamet Native 5
Current pocket hog: S90V Para2
Next up: Something Blurple
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

jezabel wrote:Honestly I'd definitely be keen to pick up a FFG G10 C83. While it might not have the aesthetic appeal of the original bolstered C83, it would give some us a chance to really appreciate the Persian's potential as a utility knife. I know many of us (myself included) don't really give the C83 a true work out due to it's relative scarcity. And nor do I wish to compromise my one and only C83's original design by giving it a FFG.
Jez
That is very true... It would be nice to be able to REALLY use the Persian...
hmmmm
Vic
bh49

Post by bh49 »

StangBang wrote:That is very true... It would be nice to be able to REALLY use the Persian...
hmmmm
It is nice. I do this every day. :)
IMHO if somebody want C83 for use, with patience can pick-up used in good shape under $120. I see them once every couple month on BF and e-bay.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
sal

Post by sal »

Hey Spyderfly,

That's a beautiful piece. Santa Fe certainly does have some skill.

It sure is difficult to please the many varied preferences suggested......but we try.

There are currently two Persians in-the-works. One is a sprint with bolsters and a polished G-10 scale in dark red.

On the other, Eric, who worked quite a bit with Ed on the current Persian design, felt that the true functional "spirit" of this excellent design would best be served with a G-10 version, peel ply, full flat grind and skeletonized liners. Light and thin.

sal
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

sal wrote:Hey Spyderfly,

That's a beautiful piece. Santa Fe certainly does have some skill.

It sure is difficult to please the many varied preferences suggested......but we try.

There are currently two Persians in-the-works. One is a sprint with bolsters and a polished G-10 scale in dark red.

On the other, Eric, who worked quite a bit with Ed on the current Persian design, felt that the true functional "spirit" of this excellent design would best be served with a G-10 version, peel ply, full flat grind and skeletonized liners. Light and thin.

sal

Mr. Glesser you just made my day!!!!!! :D Not 1 but 2 Sprints!!??!!!?? One sounds like a classy remake and the other sounds like a GREAT user Persian!!!

First the Dodo is being reinvented, now the Persian gets 2 variants!!!

THANK YOU for caring so much for your customer base and dealing with our constant nagging ;)

Spydercrew you all ROCK!!!
Vic
bh49

Post by bh49 »

sal wrote: It sure is difficult to please the many varied preferences suggested......but we try.

sal
Mr. Glesser,
Thank you very much for letting us know. Greatly appreciated. Looking forward to see these knives.
Roman
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

Having both is the best of both worlds. This made my week.
On order: Maxamet Native 5
Current pocket hog: S90V Para2
Next up: Something Blurple
Metric

Post by Metric »

Yesss!!!
MCM

Post by MCM »

Thanks for the up-date!

What about blade steel? Anything special? :D
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
Metric

Post by Metric »

Just a thought -- if Spyderco is going to do some damascus-blade sprint runs, I can't think of a better or more obvious design for it than this one.