Bring back the grey box!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

McBain wrote:
I think it would be cool to have a tin like Altoids, robust, easily stored or stacked, and for those that throw out the boxes, it would give a container to be used for something else !!!
make it look like smaller versions of the sharpmaker...that would look nice.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
aj1985

Post by aj1985 »

The box is very important and much more so with Spyderco than any other knife company in the world.

1) Adds a lot of value $$$$$$$
2) Collectors use them to house their knives
3) Shipping and such
4) Selling on ebay and forums. Knives with boxes just sell easier
5) Sturdy boxes are needed for investment purposes and keep the knife NIB for a long time
6) I hate to say this but the truth is Spyderco is the most collectible and best investment within the knife industry and many collectors want NIB and the box should be in wicked shape as well.

IMO the box usually adds 20% - 45% value to the knife. I just grabbed a Lil temp NEW and no box for $130. Box does make a huge impact on sellers and buyers.

Bring the White one back with the Gold bug and get rid of this new one it's way to flashy for me. I would even love the gray one back.

aj
Live in every breath

INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

I just got a Native III today from Knifeworks.com. I thought I would share the box condition. I think it's perfect. I'm almost starting to wonder if it is the crappy packaging of certain sellers? I've had both really nice new boxes and really crappy ones. I currently do have some crappy gray ones too.

"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

I thought I was alone in my experiences with the new red boxes. Now I see that I am not. Many times I find myself having to rebuild and reinforce a damaged or torn red box with some clear scotch tape. Also, I have read through this entire thread, and another important thing that I didn't see mentioned is that the label on one end of the box contains important information (for example, a date of manufacture code, such as "AE"). Most people probably don't care too much, but this could be important to collectors.
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

Good point.
I said years ago that Spyderco should date the blade itself.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

With all this talk about boxes I just had to notice the ones I got today.
The BM box was shipped first class in a padded envelope and still got here in good shape.
The Surefire box really impressed me.This type box is worth 1.00 or 2.00 extra on the purchase price.Very heavy built,hope they start using these on the lights.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
messer454

Post by messer454 »

tonydahose wrote:make it look like smaller versions of the sharpmaker...that would look nice.
That would be cool !!! I would buy a couple or 10 of those themselves.
"Be prepared.....It is more than a motto it is a way of life."

SpyderNation # 0019
VultureParade

Post by VultureParade »

Good points on the boxes. I was never fond of the new ones due to the flimsy construction and personal problems with the color scheme.

I'd love to see a basic matte colored sturdy cardboard box. I also think that boxes with tight fitting lids hold up a lot better than the tray method or the folded method. I understand that this could add a bit to the cost, but I think it's worth it.

If flashy packaging is a concern for marketing purposes, the sturdy matte boxes could easily be adorned with a shiny Spyderco bug in a variety of colors/textures.

I think this type of box would have functionality with the sturdy cardboard/lid design, design simplicity with the matte cardboard material, and uniqueness with the colored Spyderco bug logo.

Great knives deserve great dens.
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

David Lowry wrote:I just got a Native III today from Knifeworks.com. I thought I would share the box condition. I think it's perfect. I'm almost starting to wonder if it is the crappy packaging of certain sellers? I've had both really nice new boxes and really crappy ones. I currently do have some crappy gray ones too.

I second your points, David. I just received an Orange UKPK and a Pink Delica from KnifeWorks, and the boxes were pristine. Remember, this is shipping all the way from Louisiana to South Korea. That's a lot of distance for a box to deal with, and they came through fine. I hope the Kopa I ordered from them does as well.
LowSpeedHighDrag

Post by LowSpeedHighDrag »

I dont collect, I use my spydies hard, I have chipped enduras and millies up the yin yang, but I do really like having the grey box to put it back into at night. It would be nice to have a box thats at least a little better than the Byrd packaging.
MOLON LABE
jujigatame

Post by jujigatame »

I've only got one knife that came in the new style box and it was in fine shape, but it does seem that there's something of anomaly in the amount of folks saying their experiences with the boxes have been less than satisfactory. Packaging that's sturdy and attractive certainly does count for something. Receiving an item in a box that's ripped/mashed/whatever can have a bit of deflating effect, even if the item itself is unblemished and perfectly functional. To what degree that may be affected by the box construction/design, the variables of shipping and handling along multiple points in the supply chain, the mailman, who knows for sure? Still, as always, it is nice to see the company chime in and say they will check it out.
~ Nate

Post by 224477 »

I have not a single one new box yet, but I am with Deac, as I keep the boxes too.
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
Bam-it

Post by Bam-it »

I tried to just sit back an not complain but enough is enough. The new box is flat out crap! Not only do they seem to come apart or smash and bend so easy. It's next to impossible to get one to slide open and closed decent. I take pride in my Spyderco's, but anymore I just as well chunk the box as the knife arrives. Thanks,
snuffaluff

Post by snuffaluff »

Yo Deacon... your grocery example is flawed and here's why. A dented can is worthy of a discount at the register. I've saved 10-15 cents on a can for it being dented. ;)
Unsub

Post by Unsub »

I have not got5 anything but the grey boxes yet but I really like having the boxes to my knives. I would even prefer a well made box without the printing and just some stick on labels like the Chris Reeve boxes.

I just bought a used StreetBeat without a box and was wondering if I could get one for it?
Agent Starling

perspective...

Post by Agent Starling »

Only a bunch of rabid Spyder-nuts could get this excited over a box...a BOX! Let alone the knives...LOL...yeah, bring back the grey, it has that all-important Spyderco mystique going for it... :D

Agent Starling
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

With the number of posts in this thread, makes me wonder if a sprint run is order... LOL
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

A stouter box that could be re-purposed while tacking on another $2-$3 would be well worth it for me. Something not unlike Altoids or Eclipse mints tins. A mini Sharpmaker box would definitely be put to reuse.
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal
Blueboost

Post by Blueboost »

I like the white & blue, and the grey & webbed better as well.

Take it back to old school if you're going with the folded end box. Ninja black and a yellow sticker. Throw a spyderco emblem on it this time maybe. :spyder:
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Spyderco has always been about function over form. And even though marketing sensibilities will say that you should pretty things up to make them more appealing to the eye.... well, Spyderco's have sometimes been described as fugly knives ??!

Still they function better for me than most others.

The same line of thinking should apply to their packaging I reckon. Sal and Spyderco have always like shiny footprints and helping people/ environment out. Why not head toward what a lot of other companies are now doing and going green. Use recycled cardboard , with minimal printing. Or use ink that has less impact on the environment.

Those that know Spyderco will still buy them. It is about the knife after all.

Get rid of clampacks because they are dangerous for everyone (and their fingers :p )
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *