Tasman

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
panch0

Tasman

Post by panch0 »

Hello all. Need some advice onthe Tasman Salt. Does anybody own one, and would you recommend it. I have the Salt 1 PE and love it. What do you use the Tasman for other than cutting rope? I really want one and am debating the PE or the SE. All advice will be appreciated. Thanks

-frank
:spyder: Para2 :spyder: LadyBug Hawkbill Salt :spyder: Balance :spyder:
Bam-it

Post by Bam-it »

I also own the Spyderco Salt-1, I'm waiting on my new purchase to arrive. The Spyderco Tasman Salt-1 plain edge. Recommend!!! Heck Yea, any new Spyderco is recommended. As for as use I will EDC for a while and see how it goes. At the price you can't go wrong, as for as serrated VS plain edge. That's just a matter of what you like best, might I recommend both. Enjoy,
white cloud

Post by white cloud »

i have a tasman s.e. with black handles. it is a wonderful knife. i think hawkbill usefulness is not generally well understood. my tasman and a small s.a.k. are what i use for edc. the tasman is also somewhat sheeple friendly. you might want to look at a river city sheath if you get a tasman. this sheath provides a number of additional carry options. also james keating has a hawkbill video that you might find interesting.
catamount

Post by catamount »

I have both PE and SE, and would recommend getting a yellow one. The Tasman is great for opening packages, and other applications where you want to control the depth of the cut.

AS far as PE vs. SE; If you like to make precise, clean cuts, go for the PE. If you just want to get the job done quickly, and are less concerned about clean cuts, go for the SE. Also, the SE will go longer without needing to be sharpened.
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
Clay Kesting

River City Sheath

Post by Clay Kesting »

I've posted this before, but here's a picture of my Tasman Salt in its River City Sheath. Highly recommended, the sheaths work as advertised and Mike is a great bloke to deal with.

cheers,
clay
Attachments
sheath.JPG
sheath.JPG (78.6 KiB) Viewed 3195 times
"The best boats are either small enough to carry home, or big enough to live on." Phillip C. Bolger (1927-2009)
white cloud

Post by white cloud »

Clay Kesting wrote:I've posted this before, but here's a picture of my Tasman Salt in its River City Sheath. Highly recommended, the sheaths work as advertised and Mike is a great bloke to deal with.

cheers,
clay
clay,

you must be a water sports person also. i have the river city sheath on my vest for white water canoe trips.. it is an invaluable accessory for me.

hank
panch0

Post by panch0 »

Those River City Sheaths look nice. I will definetly be ordering one of those once I decide which one I want. What do you guys use to sharpen the SE blades? Is it really a pain?

-frank
white cloud

Post by white cloud »

panch0 wrote:Those River City Sheaths look nice. I will definetly be ordering one of those once I decide which one I want. What do you guys use to sharpen the SE blades? Is it really a pain?

-frank
i use the sharp maker or a small stone i take on trips. its not that hard to sharpen but i do not let it get dull but rather touch the blade up a lot. my father was a wizard with field dressing game and he touched up the edge frequently. one other point about the s.e. is that you can "saw" through stuff a little better. the tazman's hawkbill is also a bit safer than conventional blades as it is harder to stab something by mistake. this is a really big deal around white water with stuff moving about quickly.

the sheath we keep raving about is really nice. it keeps the knife handy and secure when things are difficult. i really like pocket clips but will not trust one in white water.
Agent Starling

hawks all the way...

Post by Agent Starling »

I use my hawkbills for just about any chore that I'd use a straight-bladed knife for...they're surprisingly versatile! :spyder:

Agent Starling :D
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

I use a Lansky sharpener for my SE Spydies, it takes a long time to sharpen them on it, but they come out armhair shaving sharp when all is said and done.
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

i have 2 tasmans and one has huge blade play from side to side and the other is perfect which boggles me because i havent carried any of each.

i think if i really wanted a hook blade id go on ebay and find an old generation 1 merlin.

spyderco needs to make a version of the tasman in a d4 model!!!!

anybody listening ?
Billy

Post by Billy »

I would highly recommend the Tasman and prefer it in SE (have both SE and PE, only carry my SE these days). Mine rides IWB pretty much every waking moment and gets used for most of the dirty, nasty jobs I don't want to use my good PE blades for - like breaking down lots of boxes, trimming dead banana leaves, small palm fronds and other vegetation around the yard, any kind of pull cutting that requires sliding the blade under the material to be cut (rope, heavy plastic banding, etc.), as well as many other odd jobs. It also comes to the beach with me or rides along any time I will be sweating alot (outdoor exercise and yard work). I usually carry several knives and although it's not always my first choice, when I do use it, it shines. As for sharpening the SE blade, get a Sharpmaker and you will have no worries keeping it beyond shaving sharp.
I prefer to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
I LOVE MY MILLIES
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Hannibal Lecter

Hmmm...

Post by Hannibal Lecter »

My Dear Friends,

The Tasman Salt is a very special model for me, holding a place in my heart reserved for only the best of the best.

I consider it to be just that: the best of the best.

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16897

This is not to take anything away from other excellent designs, but I can't see myself changing anything about this knife. Initially I thought the Delica 4 handle upgrade would be a good idea, but I have since recanted - what is the point of unnecessarily complicating a simple workhorse of a knife? Adding the Gen 4 handles would mean a lot of additional hardware and liners that would have to be manufactured of H1 or Ti to maintain the corrosion-resistance, and that would necessarily increase the price significantly.

I keep a yellow Tasman Salt PE within arms' reach practically 24/7. I have both PE and SE versions and prefer the PE for the kind of cutting I do. My Tasman has been in the Atlantic Ocean with me. It has been in the Albemarle Sound. The local lake. The shower on occasion.

No corrosion. None.

I use it for cutting anything and everything - packages, food, rope - anything. Though I know it is not really intended as such, you can also do a LOT worse for a self-defense blade.

Normally I am pretty nitpicky (is that even a word?) about knives. For instance, the Emerson Folding Combat Karambit needs to have the blade angle adjusted inwards about ten degrees to provide more bite on pulling cuts.

Sorry, folks - I can't think of any mods to the Tasman off the top of my head that wouldn't ultimately be to the detriment of the design. The Tasman Salt is hands-down one of my single favorite Spyderco knives of all time.

--------
Hannibal
---------------------

"I have followed with enthusiasm the course of your disgrace and public shaming. My own never bothered me except for the inconvenience of being incarcerated, but you may lack perspective."
JT

Post by JT »

A hawkbill blade is worth checking out, if you don't have any previous experience with them. So, Tasman is a perfect choice, not too expensive, but great bang for a buck, and it's a :spyder: .... :)

As for PE/SE, why not both to test them out? Personally, I prefer PE.

I think Dr. Lecter said it: a simple workhorse of a knife. Thats what it is, and it's helluva good one.

would I recommend it: YES Sir! :D
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Heck yes I would recommend one. Hannibal said it best I think.

Get yourself a Tasman Salt and a Harpy also when time and money are your friends. :)

I've owned both. I still have the Harpy SE just due to it's classic lines and being one of the original "old school" Spyderco models. The Harpy is a classic.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

The Tasman practically never leaves my pocket...its one of the single best knives I've ever owned...mine is PE...just my preference...don't know why.
panch0

Update

Post by panch0 »

Had My Tasman for a few weeks now, and it rocks. Today I just got the River City Sheath I ordered for it and it ROCKS as well. Thanks for the advise fellas, I am a happy camper. :D
-frank
white cloud

Post by white cloud »

i am glad you are pleased! i have really enjoyed mine.

which edge type and color did you get? mine is black but the yellow has to be a lot easier to find when dropped on the forest floor. i think i will get a yellow handled one next but i have not made my mine up about edge type.

cheers white cloud
white cloud

Post by white cloud »

p.s.

that sheath is pretty cool. a very clever design in my opinion.
The Mad Mule

Post by The Mad Mule »

I'm probably going to order a Tasman Salt SE soon, but the fact that you can't adjust the blade screw for any blade play bugs me...it means that you can't fix/adjust any blade play if needed.