ZDP Lum Chinese Folder Question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Lockback

ZDP Lum Chinese Folder Question

Post by Lockback »

I was lucky enough to get a Lum Chinese Folder delivered today, and I discovered it has several cosmetic flaws I was surprised to find on a higher-end knife. The backspacer is scuffed significantly, and in one spot the almite almost completely covers the steel liner from edge to backspacer.

For anyone else who has a new Chinese Folder - is this the norm, or did I get an aberrant specimen? Of all the Spydies I own, this is the first I have even remotely considered sending back for quality control issues...but perhaps I am being too picky. Your input is appreciated.
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Hmmm,

I would suggest that if this is not going to be a user that you contact the person whom you bought it from and see if a replacement can be made ASAP !

If it is a user and no structural flaws are apparent then I'd just use it.

Take some pics please and post it up so we can all see what you are seeing then we can comment some more.
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
Lockback

Post by Lockback »

datan wrote:Take some pics please and post it up so we can all see what you are seeing then we can comment some more.
Pictures attached, as request. Sorry for the delay - just got back to town.

Sorry for the picture quality. I am a poor photographer.

The first picutes are of the scuffed/scratched backspacer; the last ones are of the almite the almost covers the liner.
Attachments
IMG_1441.jpg
IMG_1441.jpg (13.66 KiB) Viewed 1501 times
IMG_1439.jpg
IMG_1439.jpg (21.98 KiB) Viewed 1511 times
IMG_1438.jpg
IMG_1438.jpg (23.43 KiB) Viewed 1519 times
IMG_1436.jpg
IMG_1436.jpg (32.13 KiB) Viewed 1577 times
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

ive noticed that mine isnt exactly perfect either but it is what it is, i wasnt around the collecting/buying scene when the older lums came out, so im happy that i got this one.
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Did you get this from a reputable dealer?

Personally if I handled this in a store I wouldn't have bought it unless it was for a lower price. The workmanship on that is not what I have experienced in any of my Spyderco folders.

I'd contact the store or dealer you bought it from and see if you can get a replacement. Failing that possibly contact Spyderco directly to resolve this. Dealer should IMHO handle this.

The photos show uncharacteristic flaws
Cheers
Lockback

Post by Lockback »

I received this from a very reputable online dealer, with whom I've done a significant amount of business. I've never had the opportunity to work with their customer service operation, but that is where i will start.

Thanks for confirming my belief that I got a lemon. I'm glad to know they're not all that way, and look forward to having a better example in hand.
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question, but is this new Lum actually made in China? :confused: I can't seem to find any info on the Spyderco site.

Ahh, I just saw from WhyNot's picture thread, that Seki-City is on the blade of the new Lum. The quality doesn't seem as good as the green handled one. Is that the original Lum Chinese folder?
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

I believe it'll be made in Seki, Japan
Cheers
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

datan wrote:I believe it'll be made in Seki, Japan
Thanks Daniel. You are right. My bad for assuming "chinese folder" meant Made in China. :o
mrappraisit

Post by mrappraisit »

Lockback, I say try to return it or get a partial credit. Good luck.
After enlightenment, the laundry.
JspyEDC

Post by JspyEDC »

I am surprised that one made it out into the "regular" knife population. Normally, small cosmetic flaws on newly manufactured knives go to collector club members. We sign a form accepting this as a possibility. Out of the nearly 100 collector knives I have received, only about 2 or 3 have small "flaws" in them. I am actually looking for them when I receive my CC knives now, as I kind of enjoy the idiosyncratic nature of having a very unique mass manufactured piece.

My new Black Pearl Micro Dyad has a "spot" or a "bubble" on the scale that is very noticeable. I would not trade that one for a 'perfect' one. Mine is perfectly unique.
Spyderco Collector #162
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Have you tried simply wiping or washing off the scuffs on the backspacer? The backspacer is made from a synthetic material so it can't actually 'scratch'. My Chinese folder came with a light streak on the backspacer and it wiped right off. I think it was some residu from the plastic baggie my knife came in (inside the box).

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Lockback

Post by Lockback »

Mr Blonde wrote:Have you tried simply wiping or washing off the scuffs on the backspacer? The backspacer is made from a synthetic material so it can't actually 'scratch'. My Chinese folder came with a light streak on the backspacer and it wiped right off. I think it was some residu from the plastic baggie my knife came in (inside the box).

Wouter
Wouter,

I have tried that, but was unsuccessful. When I first saw the scuffs, I thought it was just something on the plastic, but the marks seem to be in the plastic itself, even though they can't be felt with a finger.

I know it does not affect the functionality of the knife in the least, but the cosmetic flaws bother me a little. The retailer has been helpful in proposing solutions, and I am exploring those now.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Too bad, I hope your dealer can get you a good one.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Sakuraba#1

Post by Sakuraba#1 »

I just received my ZDP Lum today and it has many of the same problems and a few more. It has a bunch of splotches from the almite and the liners, plus the locking liner just barely engages and the locking face is very roughly cut. It is also has an extremely gritty opening even after it was lubed and opened and closed repeatedly. This the first Spyderco that I have been really let down by.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Speaking only to the liner issue I'd bet it needs to be broken in and seated properly. Open it hard, centrifigually a few times to start. Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
KennyC

Post by KennyC »

Just wondering what you guys with problems on your knives did about them, Mine just arrived and while the liner adjusted itself quickly, the problem with the almite as shown in Lockback's pictures on the edge of the handle still exists. In addition about 1 MM of the backspacer sticks out past the scales on the butt of the knife, and the grinding for the silver line on the edges of the handles is very uneven.

Lockback, Sakuraba#1, (anyone else), did you guys end up sending yours back to Spyderco?

Kenny
RIOT

Question?

Post by RIOT »

well i just today got a green PE Lum cc# 101v, as i thought from all your comments on the new one that the older original ones would be much better quality, sure enough it snaps open with a nice SNAP sound and the action is great. i still like both so im not hating on the black one at all. these two sit in the boxes in a safe and rarely get view as to all my other are in spydie bags that get observed regularly.

MY question though is..

which came first the green or blue Lums ?
fs216

Post by fs216 »

I, too, got my Lum ZDP yesterday - only took TWO days from the online retailer, who had one in stock - how killer is that?! I waited on it like a kid at Christmas....

Mine, too, had a little issue with the liner not clicking in easily. My NIB green Lum never had that issue, BUT I took the forum's advice and snapped it open a bunch, and it's remedied just fine now. I guess the tolerances are a hair different than the original Lum Chinese folders....but again, the problem is fixed on its own accord - just work with it some and it should fix itself. My knife was cosmetically perfect, and WOW what a great blade. I have a second on backorder, so I can EDC one - something I've always wanted to do, but my green one was too precious (at over $200 per, they would be). I consider the $150 expended on the new one MONEY WELL SPENT, and I'm glad Sal and Co put it back out again, and in black. VERY VERY cool, guys!
Lockback

Post by Lockback »

KennyC wrote:Just wondering what you guys with problems on your knives did about them, Mine just arrived and while the liner adjusted itself quickly, the problem with the almite as shown in Lockback's pictures on the edge of the handle still exists. In addition about 1 MM of the backspacer sticks out past the scales on the butt of the knife, and the grinding for the silver line on the edges of the handles is very uneven.

Lockback, Sakuraba#1, (anyone else), did you guys end up sending yours back to Spyderco?

Kenny
Mine is on its way back now, for evaluation by W&R.