Tanto Style Military

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Post by sal »

Yes SDN,

That's more of what I was referring to. It does "cut" better than the Lum Tanto , but I don't think it would pry better unless the tip was really thick, which detracts from it's cutting ability.

We're easy. We'll make whatever our customers say they want, but there must be enough of them to support a run.

sal
rlw1979777

Post by rlw1979777 »

I want a new Tanto Sal!!! I will seriously buy 1 or three of them!!
I have a small collection.. At least in my mind its small. All respect to Sal and this great company! Collector Club Member #120
SelfDefenseNut

Post by SelfDefenseNut »

You can sign me up for a couple as well Sal. While I like that Strider I've exclusively carried and recommended Spyderco for the last 15 years. If you improve the Lum I'd definitely buy a few. That's assuming you can do better than the $400 price tag on that Strider. Haha
jon shannow

Post by jon shannow »

count me in for one i like the tanto blade shape and havent been able to get a lum and probaly wont be able to do so
A :spyder: tanto is missing from the tantos i have and would be great to get one
:spyder:
better to have a knife and not need it
than to need a knife and not have it
Sakuraba#1

Post by Sakuraba#1 »

I would love a new Spydie tanto. I believe that the Lum fixed tanto is the finest production tanto ever made.
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

Sakuraba#1 wrote:I would love a new Spydie tanto. I believe that the Lum fixed tanto is the finest production tanto ever made.
Certainly up there for looks, but Mr. Lum had a talent for that. What are your criteria for "finest"?
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
LouDog5446

Post by LouDog5446 »

Paramilitary style Compression lock tanto!!!!!
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
brj

Post by brj »

I'll have to pass on this one
to me, the military is all about the unique highly utilitarian blade shape, needle-like tip and the incredible lightness
but I would consider a Ti frame lock military if the lightness factor weren't too much affected :cool:
SelfDefenseNut

Post by SelfDefenseNut »

Don't get me wrong, the Military is practically perfect. I own two of them. The fact is that most of us on this forum collect and own several Spdercos not because we need more than one knife but because we love them. Sal obviously likes keeping his customers happy and there would be lots of happy customers with a tanto bladed Military. Spread the word please! I'd love to have one for Xmas.
dialex

Post by dialex »

I love tanto blades myself and I'd love Spyderco to make another tanto folder.
However, I don't think the Military would significantly benefit from a tanto blade. I now there are many brands out there that come with countless blade variations once a model is successfull and I don't say this is necessarily a bad thing, but the Military is a very good knife the way it is.
You're gonna laugh, but I'd rather put a tanto blade to the Assist... :o
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Cuccos19

Post by Cuccos19 »

sal wrote:
We're easy. We'll make whatever our customers say they want, but there must be enough of them to support a run.

sal
+1 another good point why I love :spyder: ! Sal and his people just have the right attitude! Not every Co, or maybe not any other what I know do the same for their customers/fans/collectors.

Thank you Sal again, and we will support you by purchasing your fantastic knives!
v8r

Post by v8r »

I would bet it took a great deal of force to break a Lum tanto in half.I have one and it's beefy all the way to the tip, it seems a Military would be easier to break in half to me.The Military does cut better at the tip, While a Lum does not.I was a Auto Tech for several years,so I am used to using the proper tool for the Job. ;)
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
Th232

Post by Th232 »

Thread necromancy!

That said:
dialex wrote:I love tanto blades myself and I'd love Spyderco to make another tanto folder.
And I know just the design I'd like to see made Alex. ;)
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

GoMeR

Post by GoMeR »

I would not buy a military tanto, as some of you have stated the military is near perfect for me as is.

I would however buy a couple of the Lum tanto folders as they were when they stopped production, perhaps with updated steel. Those are one of my grail knives.

If you want a FFG Lum tanto Selfdefensenut send one over to Tom Krein, he will make short work of the extra thick blade.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The modern day tanto is janich/snody's modified wharncliffe. It is not only specifically designed for cutting flesh but penetrates materials like denim or kevlar like no other blade shape (from what i read). Besides penetrating car doors like a Lynn Thompson vid, i dont see the need (besides style) the traditional or modified tanto offers. A cop tool or prybar tool from county com offers a wharn style blade and a nigh unbreakable chisel tip.

From a sales perspective i would like to see grip/mini grip sales in tanto config vs the other shapes. They have been sellinf that model for a while.

Sorry if i sound like a party crasher! I love tantos and really dig my Captain (even if it doesnt count). Id still buy a spydie tanto but keep my blade to 3.5 max due to jurisdiction.

Edit: reverse the tanto angle and that would change my mind bigtime! :)
butch

Post by butch »

a thing to think about is the fact that the blade angle to handle would need changed
millie is more a slicing handle /blade set up and the lum is more a stabby set up
it would be more then a simple blade swap

i ll have to do a bit of drawing and see what kind of morph can be made
Lloyd R Harner III (Butch)
a step forward
working my way to a licence to drill
http://www.harnerknives.com
cr123

+1 on military tanto

Post by cr123 »

hi:

i'd get one and leave it in the box. the orange millie i have needs company on the shelf.

for my prying needs, i'll just use one of the two mini-prybars i lug in my bucket. if that's not enough, there's that dedicated prybar/nail puller in the car trunk.
:)
edge-e

Post by edge-e »

It's about time for another folding tanto.Full flat ground,g-10 or micarta,4'' blade length,zdp or vg-10,and my favorite lock...."The compression lock".
supmonkeyface

Post by supmonkeyface »

Here is my best attempt at shooping a tanto millie. Took 10 mins, please no criticisms :D . I used cpm 3v but was also think of s35vn or s110v. but 3v is my most curious steel. I also used the carbon fiber platform because that is so much cooler looking than g-10 and I just love it. Hope this gives you a better picture of a knife like that.