pulled on by a frosty

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wiley sharp

pulled on by a frosty

Post by wiley sharp »

last week, me and vlf_11 were walking home from a game of pool when some chump and his little friend decide to make trouble.... they followed us all the way to my house (about 10 blocks from the pool house) when we came to my house this punk starts flailing insults at us, but then we weren't sure that he had a knife.... however, when we confronted him about the insults, he pulled out a frosty, threatining to spill our guts. by now, a truck full of his friends had arrived on the scene, so there were about six of the little peckers. chris and I looked at each other, my hands rested on my merlin and delica in my front pockets. he allready had the same idea.... in an instant, we pulled out our ace in the hole, his endura SE, and my Merlin SE and delica 50 50. the guys began to back off, realizing that they had been out done. as they left, we put our knives away, and walked away. they followed. then we got smart. we used his cell to call the cops. thank you ritzville police. but after the cars pulled away, there was still one dude left, the armed one. chris left after the cops, but my house is further away. the dude followed me all the way to my door, hurling insults. he stood outside my window, threatining that if i left my house, he would rape my mother. that was it. i got my 12 gauge. took it outside and racked it in his face. to shorten this up all that I'll say is that he ran off after that. never seen him again, yet.
kraziekurtis

Post by kraziekurtis »

meh I have re-assessed,slashing tendons wouldn't be the best solution in the world, unless it was defense..

Edited by - kraziekurtis on 1/22/2002 12:23:10 PM
Hoosierdaddy

Post by Hoosierdaddy »

Brian,

It actually goes like this...

"This is a 44 magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world. You're probably wondering whether I fired five shots or six? You have to ask yourself a question... Do you feel lucky punk?... Well do ya?"
Anyway that's the way I remember it!
The .454 Casaul is more powerful... now
The .475 Linebaugh is more powerful too
Neither one was around when Dirty Harry Callahan was in his prime. Neither one is a good self defense round (too powerful... over penetrates)
Sorry to get off topic!
It's just when someone misquotes D/H... I have to correct them!
Wiley... way to go dude... watch your back!
justdavid

Post by justdavid »

There's something to the effect of "...Well, in all that excitement I kinda lost track myself..." (paraphrasing)

Though I believe the Casull _was_ around at the time that movie was made, though it wasn't well-known. (Or perhaps Casull was still just playing around with hotloading 45 Colt cases at the point, I can't remember.)

Anyway, the 44 Mag. had been trumped at that point, but almost no one knew about it. And the line sounded better that way, than it would have had it been accurate.

"This is a 44 Magnum, the most powerful production handgun for which factory ammunition is made..."

Nah, doesn't have the same punch.

jD.
Clay Kesting

Post by Clay Kesting »

Wiley,

I'm glad the situation was resolved without anyone getting hurt, however there are a couple of questions I would like you to consider. Firstly, what would have happened if they hadn't backed off after you pulled your knives? What if they'd considered that as a challenge? Do you have any training in MBC, many street punks work very hard at their fighting skills. If a fight had started are you prepared to get cut? The old saying "the winner of the knife fight died next day in hospital" has a great deal of truth to it. What if you had won the fight, how would you have persuaded the police that you weren't the aggressor when you're the one left standing with a knife in your hand? Finally what if the shotgun had gone off, you'd probably be facing a manslaughter charge at least and a good chance of being raped in the prison shower.

What might be more useful is to look at how the situation developed in the first place and what you might have done to prevent it escalating to the point where you felt compelled to draw a weapon. Marc "Animal" MacYoung's website http://www.diac.com/~dgordon/ is the most useful self-defence resource I have found on the net. His pyramid approach shows that there is a great deal that can be done to defend yourself before the necessity for violence or the use of a weapon. Food for thought, you may not be so lucky next time.

Take care,
Clay

"The trouble is that you think you have time."
sam the man..

Post by sam the man.. »

*whoah!*

have spydies will travel
darkjedi458

Post by darkjedi458 »

just like iv always said...no matter what kind of knife you got a good pump 12 gauge delivers the message a whole lot better. iv only had to put a shotgun in someones face one time and i hope to god its the last cause i dont mind saying i was terrified. that was the scariest thing i ever did.

" we chased our pleasures here...dug our treasures there...can you still recall how we cried...break on through to the other side" - the doors
wiley sharp

Post by wiley sharp »

clay, yes, i have two years of mbc training,also much training in the areas of nonleathal control, and some diffrent styles of martial arts. its one of my passions. don't worry, i would have let the punk make the first move, and i was verrrry prepared to get cut. thats something that my sensay tought me.
wiley sharp

Post by wiley sharp »

oh, yes, clay...... there were no bullets in my shot gun. i was relying on the sound of the action to scare him away. it worked...... quite well.....

much thanks to remmington arms company.
stu

Post by stu »

I'm glad you are o.k., sounds like you got lucky.

stu
Jeff/1911

Post by Jeff/1911 »

Wiley,

Glad you're OK. Keep an eye out for that last guy, he sounds like a real wingnut.

Jeff.
Jeff/1911

Post by Jeff/1911 »

Clay,

That site you referred to is FABULOUS! It's what I've been looking for a long, long time. Good on you, lad!

Gratefully, Jeff/1911.
ruxton

Post by ruxton »

nice one wiley! you did EXACTLY what i'd do if that happened to me
MAT
mnblade

Post by mnblade »

Where did this incident happen? And on what date?
wiley sharp

Post by wiley sharp »

glad to hear that i did the right thing. i was hoping that I wouldn't loose respect w/any of you. this happened last 2 saturdays ago, at about 8:00. if any of you feel that I did the wrong thing, tell me.
hy

Post by hy »

Wiley, I'm not saying you did the wrong thing but it might have been wiser to just ignore his insults and go into your house, especially since you had reached your house already. In light of the hockey dad case, the fact that you have MBC and martial arts training would count against you if you had gotten into a fight and hurt him. The best thing for you to do now is to go to the police and tell them that someone has been threathening violence against your family and mention the rape threat. If anything happens later, the fact that he had previously made threats of bodily harm would make him look like the aggresor whatever the outcome is. Just my 2 cents.
mnblade

Post by mnblade »

Where did this incident happen? In what city?
aero_student

Post by aero_student »

I don't want to sound like a jerk but I have learned my lesson about these stories especially after the last one like this posted by the not quite so tactical one aka tactical pun. I would have thought that the police would have more fully disarmed the situation. I most definitely would not have odne the bit with the shotgun. I would have tried to stick with the police and made sure they removed all agressors.
Hoosierdaddy

Post by Hoosierdaddy »

Wiley,

I don't think you did the right thing by pulling out the shotgun. You should NEVER pull a gun on someone unless you plan to use it! The gun was empty but what if that guy had a gun that wasn't? What if he fired at you and shot someone in your house? How would you feel then? I would never pull my weapon out unless I was going to use it. I now there are a lot of what ifs but anything could have happened. You should have just ignored him... sticks and stones...
I have no less respect for you now than before, but what did bringing the shotgun into the picture accomplish? Don't ever underestimate your attacker!

Now back to Dirty Harry... JustDavid you're right, you jogged my memory. "This is a 44 magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world. It could blow your head clean off. You're probably wondering whether I fired five shots or six? Well, in all that excitement I kinda lost track myself. You have to ask yourself a question... Do you feel lucky punk?... Well do ya?"
I'm pretty sure that is it.

Dick Casull was hot-loading Colt single actions in the 50s with custom made five shot cylinders. The first year of the Freedom Arms revolvers were 83-84
I believe Dirty Harry was around 1978.