Spyderench review

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mr Blonde

Spyderench review

Post by Mr Blonde »

I always figured that the Spyderench could not come close to the convenience and reputation of a Leatherman tool. When the second run of Spyderenches came out, my good friend Jurphaas demo’d the Spyderench to me. Needless to say, I began to see the light. A few months ago I got a Spyderench. I had hoped to really put this tool through its paces, but I only came across the odd mundane job here and there, nothing to really challenge the tool. I really need one of my buddies to move or something ;) .

Carry
One of the main advantages of the Spyderench is its carry-ability! It’s not just a tool with a clip slapped on. The closed Spyderench is wonderfully rounded to make this tool truly a clip-on tool. Although I always had a LM Pulse within reach, I never actually carried the tool on my belt because it’s simply too heavy for me. Even with the all steel construction, the Spyderench is light enough to EDC in the front pocket of a pair of jeans or IWB.

Pocket knife
Because the tool is easy to carry, along with the one-hand opening blade, the Spyderench is basically a bulkier CE SS Delica 4 with a tip-down only clip, that happens to offer some added tools. The CE option is IMHO the best choice for this tool; the serrations can cut anything you come across and you can do some whittling or carving with the plain edge. Edgeholding was subjectively comparable to a regular D4, the edge is a thinner than the D4 though. When used ‘just’ in knifemode, the ergos are good; much better than a LM.

My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Mr Blonde

Tools

Post by Mr Blonde »

The tool selection is nice and I even got a chance to use the two halves of the Spyderench as cooperative tools, when assembling a mini soccer goal for my nephew. The short and stubby pliers offer a surprisingly strong grip and bite. The handles also don’t dig in your hand when you use the tool, especially in a right-handed grip. After a bit of practice, the bits are quite fast to access. The magnet inside the bit holder is nice and strong. Once the bit is in, it won’t come out until you want it to. The wrench is also really solid, the selected width of the jaws are maintained throughout the job at hand. I haven’t used the file much, but the pin on the opposite end of the Philips screwdriver came in handy when I needed a stout steel point for poking and prying.

Mr Blonde

Suggestions

Post by Mr Blonde »

As a knifeknut, I would love to see a titanium frame for the Spyderench, then it would truly enter the class of EDC pocket knives. I’m sure the price would go up, a lot, but if the Spyderench lost even more weight, it would really become something extraordinary. There were two tools that I missed a little: needlenose pliers and wire cutters. Maybe it’s because I got so used to them on my LM Pulse. Perhaps the wrench jaws could be made narrower, and the main pliers maybe have some room to add a wire cutter. For wire cutting, the CE blade is a good performer, but it’s less precise.

Another big feature of the Spyderench is the fact that you can get a whole lot of aftermarket bits for it, since the bit holder is universal. Not only can you ‘load’ any four bits that you want, but you could get additional sets of bits at any hardware store. I’m kind of looking for a portable storage system for a lot of bits, maybe Spyderco could offer some sort of sheath system to expand the bits available for the Spyderench.
Mr Blonde

Overall

Post by Mr Blonde »

The Spyderench has replaced my LM Pulse, the latter is delegated to car duty now while the Spyderench lives in my Fatboy. The Spyderench is probably at its best when it replaces the pocket folder, rather than supplementing it. It’s certainly the most carry-able of the multitools (save for the SAKs but they are less robust) and the tools fill my white collar urban needs for 98% (needlenose pliers and wire cutter would make it 100%).

Wouter
kimjune01

Post by kimjune01 »

Excellent review. Could you point out the differences between the first run and the second run of the Spyderench? Between the Byrdrench? Thanks, wouter.
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

Thanks for the review Wouter, it was really interesting to hear about the spyderench from someone with so much LM use.

I was looking for a quality multi purpose tool before I bought my Spyderench, and some of the reviews I found about it were less than glowing. They said that it was "too gimicky" to be a good usable tool.

I still bought one though, and I guess I do find it a little bit gimicky, but it is much more useful than gimicky. I found the feature of separating the screwdriver and the crescent wrench very helpful when tightening machine screws.

It's a great tool :D
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
AH2525

Post by AH2525 »

Does anyone have a comparison photo of the Spyderench to a leatherman skeletool?

Thanks.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

kimjune01 wrote:Could you point out the differences between the first run and the second run of the Spyderench? Between the Byrdrench?
I'm sorry I don't have the original Spyderench. I did handle the Byrdrench a few times and the main differences I could notice in those short periods were; different file, magnet in bit holder is a little disc that can come out with the bit when pulled hard, overall fit and finish is just slightly less than the Spyderench.

Wouter
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

cobrajoe wrote:I was looking for a quality multi purpose tool before I bought my Spyderench, and some of the reviews I found about it were less than glowing. They said that it was "too gimicky" to be a good usable tool.
I can see where they are coming from. Compared to traditional multitools, the spyderench does seem 'gimmicky' at first sight. And with the loose parts, I am not sure if I would take this tool outdoors for weeks at a time with only the tools on my person available. I think the Spyderench does not want to compete with say a LM Wave or a Vic Swisstool. The Spyderench does occupy the niche of 'leaner multitools that claim they can be clip-carried'. In that niche, the Spyderench is a very nice tool.

Coincendentally, I handled the LM Skeletool and it is probably in the same sub-niche as the Spyderench. The Skeletool is lighter, but seemed to have much less tools.

Wouter
Wharnie

Thanks for review

Post by Wharnie »

kimjune01 wrote:Excellent review. Could you point out the differences between the first run and the second run of the Spyderench
My question exactly...I recall there were significant differences between first and second run of the Spyderench...would like to see a rundown of what those differences were.

Great review, I have been considering a Spyderench for some time; this review nudged me a little closer to purchasing. However, I may be looking for the first generation 'rench.
amen74

Post by amen74 »

Great review Wouter. Now I just need to find a retailer that has these, so I can handle one in person.

Thanks for the review. :D
Aaron

Current EDCs: Golden models
:spyder: FG D2 Military:cool: Orange UKPK:spyder:

NEXT: Rock Lobster, Manix2, TiMil
Spyderwings

Post by Spyderwings »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Byrdrench comes in a PE blade, while the Spyderench is CE.
- Jason Dalsgaard
Current Spyders > C81GPBK Para-Military > C14SBK Rescue 93mm > C11P Delica 4 > FB05P Temperance > C29S Cricket > C14OR Full Sized Rescue > C90CF Stretch II > C12SBK Matriarch (VG-10)
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I was involved in a ByrdRench/Wings passaround on Bladeforums a while back, and I wrote reviews comparing the two Byrds to the original SpydeRench and Dyad.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... p?t=558191

If you don't want to read all that, here is a link to the pictures, with a few new pics of the original SpydeRench.

http://s276.photobucket.com/albums/kk28/yablanowitz/

You can see that there are a number of changes made from the original to the new one. The steel has been changed, the small straight screwdriver has been replaced with a punch and the small Phillips has been improved to a real #1 Phillips. The magnetic bit holder has been vastly improved, the lock spring on the knife blade has been changed, and it looks like the overall finish is better.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Thanks yablanowitz. I didn't follow that passaround thread, nor any other previous discussion of the renches. Nice to know that the current (Taiwanese) edition is indeed an improvement over the first run.

Wouter
kimjune01

Post by kimjune01 »

Only if the Spyderench was as cool as the Atwoods... with anodized colors and the paracord holes
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

That's indeed a cool idea. How durable are these anodized coatings anyway? How do your Atwoods hold up for example?

Wouter
feeny

Post by feeny »

I thought the byrdrench was so cool that I bought one for everyone in the office.. thinking this will replace the SAKs.

It didnt though, for two reasons I believe:
1) The tool is quite "fat" making the driver set only useful in larger spaces, whereas your average sak has a much narrower turning circle (if thats the correct term?). The driver set proved useful for big items - EG - furniture, cabinets etc - but entirely too bulky for little bits'n'pieces found around an office.

2) You wouldn't believe it - but the absence of a bottle opener has kept SAKs on the desk for the beer factor.

I should point out that the awesome design, look-n-feel and "coolness" factor of this tool makes everyone *want* to use them - but it just isnt quite right for office use when compared to SAKs / LMs
Karen

You drink beer at work?

Post by Karen »

I thought the byrdrench was so cool that I bought one for everyone in the office.. thinking this will replace the SAKs.

It didnt though, for two reasons I believe:
1) The tool is quite "fat" making the driver set only useful in larger spaces, whereas your average sak has a much narrower turning circle (if thats the correct term?). The driver set proved useful for big items - EG - furniture, cabinets etc - but entirely too bulky for little bits'n'pieces found around an office.

2) You wouldn't believe it - but the absence of a bottle opener has kept SAKs on the desk for the beer factor.

...wait a min.... you drink beer at work??
:spyder:
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

feeny wrote:I thought the byrdrench was so cool that I bought one for everyone in the office.. thinking this will replace the SAKs.
Interesting test, but I wouldn't have expected the rench to replace the SAK. The SAK is a very refined light pocket tool completely tuned to finer tasks. The multitools are more heavy duty oriented, even though you can customize the bits to your preferences. I still keep a SAK among my gear, expecially for smaller chores and its familiarity to NKPs. As for the beer opener, I'd appreciate it if it were there but don't miss it. The rench has plenty of hard edges to help open a beer, and if they fail then there's always the pliers :D .

Wouter
xrob

Question

Post by xrob »

Great review. Was this part of the collector club or is it not considered a knife? I don't recall seeing any numbered ones, but I could easily be wrong. How long has the new one been out and is it readily available around?

Thanks for the info.

Rob